Metallic noise from driver side. bmw525i - msm
Running a 2000 registered 525i se, auto with 87k on clock. When going over a bump there\'s a metallic clanking noise coming from the drivers side. Not noticable at all with the window up but very prominent with the driver window down. I think the passenger side is ok, no noise from there.

I\'ve only had the car for two weeks and to be honest only today drove with the window down. The noise is almost like the jingle of metal pieces, sort of like if you held some coins in your hand and shook them.

Also at the same time going from Park to Reverse makes quite a loud clank too. Not sure if that\'s how it\'s supposed ot be. Checked auto transmission fluid and it\'s topped to max. Car was serviced by BMW for the previous owner 2k miles ago.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be, the jingle sound over bumps? Any help at this time would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance.

S.
Metallic noise from driver side. bmw525i - Phil P
Hi msm,

Sorry can't answer your question personally but as a fellow new E39 owner I couldn't help but be curious as to how much you purchased your new steed for, if I could be so bold?

I also purchased my car two weeks ago, a 2001-X 520i SE manual with 67k on the clock, from a car supermarket for £11,999. It did require an Inspection 2 service though, which I've since had done for £270 at a main dealer. Problems diagnosed during this were worn rear lower ball joints (£192+VAT) and an intermittent fault with the climate control, which required a replacement "heater resistor pack" (£102+VAT). I queried whether the front suspension needed work since the car seems a bit "bouncy" down uneven roads, but I was assured it was quite normal and all is well.

The only issue I had which sounds remotely similar to yours was that there was a knocking sound from what seemed to be within the drivers door when going over bumps which was diagnosed and rectified by adjustment to the striker plate.

As mentioned by others here to me in response to my queries about fitting a CD changer, good places to search for the solution to your problem are:-

www.bmwland.co.uk
www.bmwtips.com
www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/forum/
Metallic noise from driver side. bmw525i - BobbyG
Don't know anything about your specific car but might be worth starting off by checking your driver's window and see if the make etched in the corner is the same as the others? If not, there is a possibility that the window has been smashed at some point and there could be fragments of glass or even some sort of bolts / washers etc lying loose inside the door.

Another option may be your wheel nuts? Is maybe one of these loose? Finally, try under the bonnet at driver's side, obvious I know, but check for a left spanner or screwdriver that may be lying about?
BobbyG, thx for the suggestion but it's definately not coming from the door. It's a front wheel rattle and I've been told it could either be stones caught inbetween the disc and backplate or faulty shock :/

Phil P, I paid 12.5k for a 2000 X plate auto, leather with 87k on clock. Company car, full bmwsh. Inspection 2 due in July. Thx for the urls and you may want to bookmark www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html.

S.
Metallic noise from driver side. bmw525i - trancer
Loose brake pads in the caliper?.
Pads seem a tight fit althought admittedly I haven't stripped the whole thing. May remove the pads and reassemble; worth a shot before giving up and dragging it to someone else. Thx :)

S.
Metallic noise from driver side. bmw525i - trancer
While pads are out check for sticking caliper pistons. If one is stuck in the pad may be loose to rattle.