What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Choosing an SUV for long drives? - Car3

Hi all

I am looking to buy an SUV in the UK. I do several 100-mile trips per week, as well as a few shorter trips of 3-15 miles.

I’m keen to have a reliable car, so Honda and Toyota are high up on the list.

As far as I can tell, diesel is still a good choice for motorway travel. Several dealers have told me petrol hybrid is the way to go, but I don’t see how they can maintain their top efficiency for long drives, as the battery surely has to deplete eventually. I am not sure what the petrol+electric mode is called in order to do further research.

The CR-V 1.6L 2WD Diesel is the car I have done the most research into. I was disappointed to discover that recent versions of the Honda CR-V are not available in diesel, and I am concerned about getting a bad DPF if I get a used diesel. I'm also a bit concerned about DPF theft.

I am aware of the CR-V, RAV4, Kodiaq, Sportage, Kuga, CX-5, CX-60, XC40, XC60, XC90. I have test driven several of these and I have no real complaints, aside from poor fuel efficiency on some – particularly new petrol and hybrid CR-Vs.

I would prefer not to spend more than £20k. I'd rather not have to spend that much, but it does seem to be a seller's market at the moment.

Edited by Car3 on 24/06/2023 at 20:56

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - badbusdriver

Budget?

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - Adampr

Budget?

£20k maximum.

I have a Skoda Karoq (1.5 petrol DSG) that I use for motorway commuting. It does 40-45mpg and is very quiet and comfortable. If you're considering a Kodiaq, a Karoq is a smaller, cheaper and more.efficient option. I'm sure the diesel is just as good.

Is there a particular reason you want an SUV? You will find more fuel efficiency with a hatchback or estate.

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - SLO76
I ran a CRV 1.6 DTEC SE for 4yrs and it’s a car I hold in high regard. They’re well made, huge inside, comfortable and incredibly economical for a relatively large SUV. The Honda 1.6 DTEC is the only modern 4cyl diesel I’d recommend these days, they don’t seem to suffer DPF issues or any other problems for that matter as long as they’re looked after.

The only common problem most owners seem to note is clutch judder from cold. Mine did this for the first few standing starts then it went away. It’s believed to be related to condensation on the clutch plate when the car is cold. Not a big worry as long as it goes away quickly so take a good test drive from cold. Make sure they let you drive it from cold to listen for any sign of timing chain rattle (never heard any doing this to be honest) and check the clutch for excessive judder and make sure the biting point isn’t too high. For some reason Honda just can’t get clutches right on diesel CRV’s.

I was looking for one for a while but even the so-called approved used stock at Honda dealers was of a poor standard. Little or no service history and poor paint repairs were common. These, as with most new cars, are taken on PCP or contract lease by the first keeper who will never own it and they are all too often utterly neglected. I couldn’t find a decent one and ended up with an HRV diesel instead. Again the engine was absolutely brilliant, it pulls surprisingly well and is amazing on fuel. We averaged just under 62mpg with the HRV and 56mpg with the CRV.

I agree with you regards Hybrids. On a longer run they’re no more economical than a normal petrol car as the engine is running all the time and having to haul a heavy battery power train around with it. Diesel is better for distance running but in general modern diesels suffer too many reliability issues, Honda fortunately doesn’t seem to suffer the same though.

Clocking is rife with new cars again also. People take a limited mileage PCP or lease then have the mileage digitally “corrected” before returning it in year three or four. Look for a full service record and watch for any sign of the telltale low mileage in its final year. For example, it’ll do 12-15k p/a in the first two or three years then do next to nothing in the final one. It’ll most likely had 10k or so wiped off it.

Find a good SE with Nav, buy a one keeper car with full Honda history and try approved used stock to get the excellent Honda 12mth warranty. The post facelift cars drive and look a bit better and are worth the extra, but don’t pay stupid money as diesels are fast falling out of fashion so depreciation will be steep on overpriced examples. Remember also that although they’re reliable parts prices are extortionate.

The Mazda CX5 2.0 skyactiv petrol is a great car too. They’ll do 40mpg on a run easy enough and there’s no diesel related reliability concerns. They’re nicer to drive than the Honda but lack torque and there’s less space. I really like these.
Choosing an SUV for long drives? - FP

"The Mazda CX5 2.0 skyactiv petrol is a great car too. They’ll do 40mpg on a run easy enough and there’s no diesel related reliability concerns."

Gentle driving can easily result in 45 mpg on a long trip, especially in warm weather. The other point that may interest the OP is ride quality on long journeys. SWMBO used to suffer travel sickness in previous cars (for example, the otherwise excellent Ford Focus we had), but has none in the CX-5.

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - sammy1

My Philosophy with cars is to keep it simple. Diesels are old hat now and will be difficult to sell on in a few years time. They are also more complicated than a petrol. Small turbo petrol is the way to go rather than as you say all the hybrid stuff and will give you decent MPG. With any SUV you are going to get lower MPG than a traditional hatch or saloon. Have you considered an auto for all the miles?. The VW Tigwan Skoda as recommended or even an Audi Q3 or 5. all can be had with a 1.5 and basically the same car. The reality with an SUV is that you will get less MPG when not cruising

Edited by sammy1 on 24/06/2023 at 23:12

It isn't accurate to say that a hybrid system won't be providing any assistance at motorway speeds because it will, just not as much. How much or little will depend on how you drive. Maybe 15% at the legal limit, but less than 10% at 80mph.

But assuming you do some running around once you get to where you are going, that is where you will notice the difference. At urban speeds, the hybrid will be doing 50+% of the work.

Also fair to say that, despite the complexity, you will struggle to find anything as reliable as a Toyota or Lexus Hybrid. So I wouldn't rule one out without getting a test drive of and getting it out on a motorway/dual carriageway to see how you find it.

£20k is enough to get into a 2017 Lexus NX300h, or a (mechanically identical) 2018 Toyota RAV4. If you can manage with something a little smaller, your budget will get you into a 2020 UX250h or a 2020 Toyota C-HR (2.0, you could get a year younger 1.8, but that has quite a bit less power).

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - Lee Power

£20k is enough to get into a 2017 Lexus NX300h, or a (mechanically identical) 2018 Toyota RAV4. If you can manage with something a little smaller, your budget will get you into a 2020 UX250h or a 2020 Toyota C-HR (2.0, you could get a year younger 1.8, but that has quite a bit less power).

I found the 1.8 hybrid is slow, noisy & frustrating to drive, go for the 2 litre hybrid every time.

I find the 2 litre hybrid power unit really suits the C-HR.

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - barney100

My Volvo V70D 2008 has covered 180k with no diesel related problems, my 2016 220 Merc E class with 50k again no problems diesel wise. I've had a few diesels and little problem with the engines so why all this diesel are problems stuff? I can only quote my experience with them.

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - Car3

Thanks for all the replies. I've taken it all on board. There's some really helpful stuff on this page. Thank you all.

I had a look at some petrol hybrids today.

I test drove the new RAV4 (as the dealer didn't have an older one) and I was impressed. They wouldn't allow me to try it on the motorway that's next to the dealership, which I took as "You can only buy this car without trying it out properly". However, it did do well on a nearby A-road at 60mph, getting 70mpg with assistance from the battery. I don't know how long this would last or what it would drop too without the battery assistance. You'd think reviews would be full of this kind of information, but they seem to focus on things like the shape of the headlights, what style wheels are available, and which smartphone apps work on the built-in screen. Salesmen are fairly similar, focusing on cupholders and upholstery.

I haven't yet determined much of substance about the 2018 RAV4. There are a few sources from the US which talk about the amazing 30mpg on the highway, which is of course not very good. Same goes for the CR-V hybrid. Are the UK models better?

I've noted that the hybrid drivetrains are heavy, and might (?) in some cases have worse efficiency than petrol-only models because of this. Also both the previous gen cars from Toyota and Honda are pretty old designs, so I'd like to understand what that means for the hybrid drivetrains - and the batteries since batteries wear.

I also tried the CX-5. That was nice drive and it has many fancy features including a HUD. It was petrol-only. The one I tried had a few electronic faults, including the radio and the motorised boot door.

One thing that has me a little confused is how the RAV4 and CR-V are so similar with such radically different engines. I expect the Toyota costs more to tax and insure because it's a bigger engine, but I've yet to check.

A lot of the cars I've looked at seem to be using CVT. Is that bad?

I will look closer at some of the other cars suggested this evening.

Edited by Car3 on 25/06/2023 at 20:07

If the GOV were at all serious about climate change they would not let these bricks of SUVs on the road, As to the latest Toyota RAV SUV it is one of the biggest and ugliest SUVs on the road

The RAV4 Hybrid being discussed puts out less carbon than, for example, a BMW 520i. Still not brilliant, but that's why you have to pay more VED.

But, yes, it's no oil painting.

However, it did do well on a nearby A-road at 60mph, getting 70mpg with assistance from the battery. I don't know how long this would last or what it would drop too without the battery assistance.

As I said earlier, the battery in a self charge hybrid charges and discharges quickly, so it is not a case of the battery running out and you being left solely on ICE, it does that all the time, including in town.

There are a few sources from the US which talk about the amazing 30mpg on the highway, which is of course not very good.

First, US MPG is not the same as UK MPG, 30 MPG US equals around 36MPG to us. And while that still might not sound too great, you need to know what speed was involved here. If that was at 60mph it would be pretty poor going, but at 75-80, that doesn't sound too bad for a fairly large SUV.

I've noted that the hybrid drivetrains are heavy, and might (?) in some cases have worse efficiency than petrol-only models because of this. Also both the previous gen cars from Toyota and Honda are pretty old designs, so I'd like to understand what that means for the hybrid drivetrains - and the batteries since batteries wear.

Yes and no. If you look at the Yaris hybrid, it is actually lighter than a solely ICE Fiesta auto. The RAV4?, yes, it is heavy car, but it is also a big car. Not sure without comparing something specific that it is much heavier than an ICE equivalent. But you need to bear in mind it has a bigger petrol engine than most direct competition at 2.5 rather than 1.5-2.0. Also, at motorway speeds, weight (within reason) has very little effect on MPG. Aerodynamics are a far bigger factor. Battery life is better on a self charge hybrid than plug in (PHEV) or full electric because the battery is being charged at the optimum rate by the car rather than (potentially) being plugged into a fast charger (which I believe is not that great for the life of a battery). Toyota have been making self charge hybrids since about 1997 now, and they are amongst the most reliable cars out there, they know what they are doing!.

One thing that has me a little confused is how the RAV4 and CR-V are so similar with such radically different engines. I expect the Toyota costs more to tax and insure because it's a bigger engine, but I've yet to check.

Not really that different, both use ICE plus EV?.

Not unless you drive flat out all the time (or are a motoring journalist), but if that is the case, hybrid is probably not for you anyway.

As to the latest Toyota RAV SUV it is one of the biggest and ugliest SUVs on the road

The RAV4 is nowhere near the biggest SUV out there. As for looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc, etc.

CVT isn't bad as long as you get along with it. Some people find the drone of it annoying, plenty of others don't notice. In terms.of reliability, it's better thought of than DCT (eg the VW DSG).

I wouldn't become too obsessed about the efficient or otherwise of hybrids over long distance. They're not like PHEVs with a whole lot of heavy kit to cart around because the batteries are pretty small and the engines pretty feeble. They're certainly at their best in town, but they're no worse than a 'normal' car on the open road.

"""CVT isn't bad as long as you get along with it. Some people find the drone of it annoying, plenty of others don't notice. In terms.of reliability, it's better thought of than DCT (eg the VW DSG)

Well I have a DCT in my MINI a had the VW DSG in numerous cars all reliable and I know you have one in a Skoda. I think the DCT is a lot better what would your preference be instead of the long worn out views of the VW DSG

"""CVT isn't bad as long as you get along with it. Some people find the drone of it annoying, plenty of others don't notice. In terms.of reliability, it's better thought of than DCT (eg the VW DSG)

Well I have a DCT in my MINI a had the VW DSG in numerous cars all reliable and I know you have one in a Skoda. I think the DCT is a lot better what would your preference be instead of the long worn out views of the VW DSG

I much prefer DCT over both CVT and a Torque Converter, but the facts are that both DSG and Powershift have had expensive issues that have given DCT a poor reputation.

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - Lee Power

Toyota hybrids in the UK use an E- CVT so basically bulletproof reliable as there so mechanically simple even compared to a standard CVT let alone comparing one to a torque convertor, DCT or DSG automatic gearbox.

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - Mike H

I can give you some real life experience of the CR-V Hybrid. We've had ours on a PCP since July 2019, and when it expires next month we're planning to buy it because we're so pleased with it. We've currently covered 64,000km, which is around 40,000m.

I live in Austria, so it's essentially the same car that you get in the UK (apart from model designations). Ours is the top of the range with AWD, so it's carrying around a bit of dead weight! Most of our driving is on small B roads, some bigger B roads, and around town with the occasional motorway trip of c.60 miles. We've also made several trips to the UK, although COVID reduced those, with average speed (in Germany) of 130-140km/h. The brim to brim overall fuel consumption (I have a detailed spreadsheet) is 42mpg. Winter definitely hits the consumption, I've seen a low of 29mpg on a tank in winter but that was high speed motorway in Germany. Winter overall sees abut 37-39mpg from a tank, whereas the last fill-up was over 50mpg. I've seen a high of 54 from a tank a couple of times. I'd say that you could expect around high thirties to low forties with your usage pattern depending on how fast you drive on the motorway.

Engine noise can be an issue for some people, it follows a completely different pattern to a non-hybrid. It is often just a constant note round town, increasing rapidly when you put heavy demands on the traction battery, but it's something you get used to.

The CVT is an excellent transmission, and the whole power train is smooth and quiet in general. It's surprisingly quick off the mark, thanks to the instant torque of the traction engine, and with the sport mode enables quick and effortless overtaking.

The car itself is very roomy and comfortable, with wide opening doors. The area that it falls down in is the media interface, it's too complex and illogical. A test review in Germany said that the reviewer gave up trying to store a radio channel after 30 minutes! I find the satnav OK, but that's often the subject of criticism as well. The car does have Android Auto so it's not a big deal.

Lastly, comparative reviews always rate it better to drive than the RAV-4, and usually a better overall car. HJ rates it as one of the best SUVs, although things have probably moved on since he wrote that in 2019.

Hope this long list helps your decision!

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - SLO76
“ The brim to brim overall fuel consumption (I have a detailed spreadsheet) is 42mpg. Winter definitely hits the consumption, I've seen a low of 29mpg on a tank in winter but that was high speed motorway in Germany. Winter overall sees abut 37-39mpg from a tank, whereas the last fill-up was over 50mpg. I've seen a high of 54 from a tank a couple of times. I'd say that you could expect around high thirties to low forties with your usage pattern depending on how fast you drive on the motorway.”

As much faith as I have in the reliability of Toyota and Honda hybrids the economy figures really don’t justify the extra cost in manufacturing and then selling them in the first place. Our CRV 1.6 diesel was averaging around 56mpg and my 13yr old Avensis estate is hovering around 40mpg day to day. Sadly there won’t be an option for a basic 1.5 turbo petrol non-hybrid these days I imagine.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/06/2023 at 11:36

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - Mike H

We had the 1.6 2WD diesel before the hybrid, we were seeing a long term average of 52mpg.

I agree that the economics don't work particularly well, but we saw the hybrid as being more environmentally friendly. We didn't pay a huge price premium for it, as we wanted an auto anyway and the 1.5 turbo petrol wasn't far off in the same spec but would have been less economical. The hybrid is a better drive with its instant torque at town speeds.

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - _

Sadly there won’t be an option for a basic 1.5 turbo petrol non-hybrid these days I imagine.

The ssangyong Tivoli is available as a non hybrid 1.2 or 1.5 turbo.

The korando and Kia Hyundai's are also 1.5 non hybrid turbos.

Ssangyong have reached the edge of Wales passed a dealership on the way through Cardigan on the way to Cemaes Head for a 10 mile walk on the coast path. Never done this stretch before, spectacular cliffs and rock formations demonstrating how level strata was thrown up by unbelievable forces years ago to almost the vertical and when climate was changing all the time. The wild flowers are at their best this time of year and the butterfly population has no worries here hundreds of them feeding on the flowers and heather. Sammy finished of the walk with a refreshing dip on Poppit sands beach witch is where the walk starts

Choosing an SUV for long drives? - Heidfirst

I haven't yet determined much of substance about the 2018 RAV4. There are a few sources from the US which talk about the amazing 30mpg on the highway, which is of course not very good. Same goes for the CR-V hybrid. Are the UK models better?

I also tried the CX-5. That was nice drive and it has many fancy features including a HUD. It was petrol-only. The one I tried had a few electronic faults, including the radio and the motorised boot door.

I will look closer at some of the other cars suggested this evening.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/rav4-2013

The US has only very recently been offered the RAV4 hybrid (petrol is a lot cheaper there) so if you are looking at US reviews ensure that you are comparing mechanically similar vehicles to what you would buy in the UK. Most of their reviews will be ICE with a TC auto.

The Toyota hybrid gearbox is actually a planetary gea***t rather than a conventional CVT - it is very, very reliable.

A 2018 Toyota can still be or be brought back into in manufacturer's warranty ( 10 year/100,000 miles, subject to dealer servicing). The drive battery warranty is 15 years (again subject to annual check to maintain warranty).

My Volvo V70D 2008 has covered 180k with no diesel related problems, my 2016 220 Merc E class with 50k again no problems diesel wise. I've had a few diesels and little problem with the engines so why all this diesel are problems stuff? I can only quote my experience with them.

The fact that you are asking the question suggests you have never actually read what is being written. As is usually clearly stated, the diesel 'problems' are surrounding modern diesels fitted with emissions equipment, most commonly DPF's. Furthermore as it is also usually clearly stated, the DPF problems are most likely to bite an unsuspecting owner if the car has been used mainly for short, stop start journeys where the re-gen is never getting a chance to take place. This causes the DPF to clog up resulting in a very large bill.

If you know a foolproof means for a used car buyer to find out what kind of usage a 2nd hand diesel engined car has had, by all means let us in on the secret. Because the only way I can think of is if it has been owned from new by a person (or persons) you know.

Also, you have only named two diesel cars on which you have had no problems with. A 2008 Volvo which, because of its age may well not have had a DPF (though some cars had them earlier, i believe 2009 was when they became more or less universally fitted). But even if it did, the 180k miles suggests plenty of longer runs to complete a re-gen. The fact you have not actually named any others makes me think they were all prior to the Volvo, i.e, they definitely did not have emissions equipment. That leaves one modern diesel which you have not had a problem with despite lowish miles for its age. Even then, unless it is only used for short journeys, I wouldn't really expect there to be problems.

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/06/2023 at 09:55