What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Road Tax - Cris_on_the_gas

Since when has DVLA charged an extra £10 for renewing tax after 1st of month. A friend renewed theirs at 9am on the 1st April before using their bike and cost was £111, rate is £101.

Is this £10 standard or does it depend on amount of VED due ?

Could he have avoided the charge by doing a SORN on 1st of month then 30 minutes later tax it ? All legal as bike would have been in garage for whole time

Road Tax - bathtub tom

Did they renew directly with DVLA, or one of these sites that do it for you and charge a fee?

Direct on DVLA site

Road Tax - elekie&a/c doctor
I thought ved was increased from the 1st April this year .
Road Tax - Bromptonaut

That, exactly. VED now increases in 01/04 annually in line with prices. The rate for a bike over 600cc went up from 101 to 111.

Road Tax - sammy1

Yes it went up by the inflation rate 10.1% very unfair in my opinion.

Road Tax - RT

Why is that unfair? It's only maintaining it's cost in real terms.

Road Tax - sammy1

Why is that unfair? It's only maintaining it's cost in real terms.

The Gov is trying to hold down inflation in one breath and doing the exact same thing with the other. Historically the VED rates have changed so much that I think only the computer knows what they are. What is unfair but to be addressed in 2025 is nil VED on EVs which are probably tearing up the roads with their extra weight

Road Tax - Sulphur Man

Couldnt agree more. Change VED to VWD. It's preposterous that a 2500kg Audi e-Tron pays zero. When the Range Rover EV arrives it will be bearing down on 3000Kg.

That saving plus the lopsided savings on BIK for EV company cars is all picked up by ICE and PHEV drivers. I see some sense in EV tax breaks on commercial EV vans, as they do the most miles and are driven the hardest on diesel power predominantly, but lets level the tax playing field on the electric cars. Then let's see how they sell.

I know a few Tesla owners, they all evangelise. I ask them if they'd buy one without the very attractive BIK rates, and the conversation changes quickly.

Road Tax - Armitage Shanks {p}

My pay is not inflation linked and the money raised is not ring fenced for expenditure and has not been for many years.

Road Tax - Andrew-T

'Unfair' means some people are treated more harshly than others - which is clearly not the case here. Some may suffer more than others, but that is a different thing.

Road Tax - RT

Mine's due 1st April every year - I always renew it on a credit card as soon as I get the reminder letter, that way I pay the old rate.

Thanks RT, perfect answer. The renewal did state the rate was £101, so guess if he renewed prior to end of March it would have been this amount.

So not a penalty for paying late, thanks all for your replies.

Road Tax - SmithyBilly

The DVLA introduced a new policy in 2021, which charges an additional £10 for renewing vehicle tax after the first day of the month in which it expires. This policy applies to all vehicles, regardless of the amount of Vehicle Excise Duty due. It is likely that your friend was charged the additional fee because they renewed their tax after the first day of the month.

As for the second question, it is possible to avoid the additional charge by declaring a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) on the first day of the month and then taxing the vehicle later that same day. But the SORN must be valid for the entire period between the expiry of the old tax disc and the commencement of the new one.