What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New car advice - downsizing - paul45

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of sound advice as always, given the plethora of new cars on the market today.

Here's the brief:

Looking to downsize from the current Audi A4, to something 2 sizes down, i.e. Clio, 208 etc. Doing a lot less miles these days, no need for the bi-annual run down to the South of France, and public transport where we live is both cheap and good quality.

Has to be automatic, hybrid not necessary, but would consider one.

Needs to be a bit pokey - recognising that this is somewhat open to interpretation, but for arguments sake, let's say sub 9 secs on the 0-60 dash.

Whilst cost is not a huge factor, I'm looking this time not to spend on premium brands, given I'm in the market for a small car.

Higher spec models would be more desirable, and I recognise that certain brands have extremely long lead times.

Shortlist at present is, (and in no particular order) 208, Clio, Fiesta, Ibiza.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

New car advice - downsizing - sammy1

Audi 1.4 or 1.5 DSG or MINI 1.5 with new dual clutch auto. I owned the Audi before changing to the MINI. Both trouble free and bags of pep and excellent autos. I cannot comment on the ones you listed other than probably a bit cheaper than these and will depreciate more probably

New car advice - downsizing - movilogo

Kia Rio or Stonic

New car advice - downsizing - Adampr

What do like and dislike about your A4?

When you say not premium, presumably that discounts Audi. What about VW (or Seat or Skoda, seeing as they're all the same really)?

The reason I ask what you like and dislike about your current car is to see what might suit best, rather than just give you a list of superminis.

New car advice - downsizing - badbusdriver

Noticed this JDM import on Autotrader recently, quite fancy it myself!

suzuki-alto

This is also a JDM import though possibly a smaller car than you want!. I'm not sure about the 0-60 time, but I do know that the Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato TRXX we got in the UK for a while managed to hit 60 mph in 8.5 seconds. That was with a manual gearbox granted, but the specs of the engine was pretty much identical. Be aware that, as a Kei car, its top speed is limited to 140km/h (87mph).

New car advice - downsizing - badbusdriver

daihatsu-charade

Same garage selling the Alto has this. Again, not sure about 0-60 for this version, but the manual is 8.5 seconds to 100km/h.

New car advice - downsizing - groaver

The Honda Jazz is to be upgraded to a 122 hp engine in the revision coming out.

That gives around 15 hp more than before.

It should make the 0-60 in around 9 seconds, perhaps a touch less.

It'll be reliable, smaller than the A4 but not that much smaller inside.

Edited by groaver on 06/02/2023 at 20:33

New car advice - downsizing - Bromptonaut

Skoda Fabia is another possibility. The hatch version is quite small but our estate car version has a massive boot albeit with the quid pro quo of limited legroom for the rear.

New car advice - downsizing - Big John

Looking to downsize from the current Audi A4

Downsizing is something I need to do at some point but still need a car that's good for a big and large driver and I still need it to be very refined on a run. My favourite thus far is the Skoda Kamiq and the 1.5 is just over 8 seconds 0-60. Even though I'm not a total fan of an SUV I was impressed with a test drive.

Edited by Big John on 06/02/2023 at 20:42

New car advice - downsizing - Adampr

My choices would be Hyundai i20n or (if not too small) Abarth 595.