What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Summer/Winter Tyres - What to Buy? - Halmerend
Looking to replace all four tyres on the 68 plate 1.0 litre Civic this month. Is it worth buying summer/winter tyres or should I stick to the summer ones? Average annual mileage, average conditions, average everything really.
Honda Civic - Summer/Winter Tyres - What to Buy? - Terry W

Next time the tyres need changing, buy good quality all season variety.

Cost may be a little higher than summer tyres - but buying an extra set of wheels, tyres and storing them for 8 months of the year is hardly cheap.

The chances of them fitting a replacement for your Civic in a few years time is debateable - leaving you with a part worn set to be sold for a fraction of what you paid for them.

For 90%+ of folk winter tyres are close to pointless - exceptions being those living in rural and exposed bits of the country (Highlands, Northumberland, North Wales etc) or those doing critical jobs (doctor, vet).

Honda Civic - Summer/Winter Tyres - What to Buy? - Ian D
Yes summer bias all season tyres are a good compromise. www.tyrereviews.co.uk and www.autoexpress.co.uk have recent reviews. The following three are generally top:
Michelin CrossClimate 2
Hankook Kinergy 4S2
Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen3

Edited by Ian D on 11/11/2022 at 16:04

Honda Civic - Summer/Winter Tyres - What to Buy? - Big John
Yes summer bias all season tyres are a good compromise. www.tyrereviews.co.uk and www.autoexpress.co.uk have recent reviews. The following three are generally top: Michelin CrossClimate 2 Hankook Kinergy 4S2 Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen3

I'm a fan of the Crossclimate all season tyres as they suit "average" British weather especially very wet conditions but my first set on my Superb were also good in hot drives abroad and very cold weather inc a bit of snow. I've found them very quiet as well although they were noisier near the end of their 36,000 mile life - or at least the next set of Crossclimate 2 tyre fitted last week are quieter!

NB Whilst I'm pleased with the Crossclimate tyres as have replaced like for like, one thing I've noticed when I replaced the tyres on Mrs BJs panda (where Crossclimates weren't available) the fitted Goodyear Vector Gen2 tyres came with 9mm of tread new - compared to the 7mm that came with the Crossclimates on my Superb. The Vector Gen 2 tyres seem good thus far, no quieter than the summer Continental tyres that were originally fitted to the Panda though. When I first fitted Crossclimates to the Superb they were noticeably quieter than the original Continentals.

Next time? - I'll compare and contrast, but it might be a while as my mileage has dropped somewhat now I don't have a longish/horrible commute.

Edited by Big John on 11/11/2022 at 18:07

Honda Civic - Summer/Winter Tyres - What to Buy? - Engineer Andy
Yes summer bias all season tyres are a good compromise. www.tyrereviews.co.uk and www.autoexpress.co.uk have recent reviews. The following three are generally top: Michelin CrossClimate 2 Hankook Kinergy 4S2 Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen3

I'm a fan of the Crossclimate all season tyres as they suit "average" British weather especially very wet conditions but my first set on my Superb were also good in hot drives abroad and very cold weather inc a bit of snow. I've found them very quiet as well although they were noisier near the end of their 36,000 mile life - or at least the next set of Crossclimate 2 tyre fitted last week are quieter!

NB Whilst I'm pleased with the Crossclimate tyres as have replaced like for like, one thing I've noticed when I replaced the tyres on Mrs BJs panda (where Crossclimates weren't available) the fitted Goodyear Vector Gen2 tyres came with 9mm of tread new - compared to the 7mm that came with the Crossclimates on my Superb. The Vector Gen 2 tyres seem good thus far, no quieter than the summer Continental tyres that were originally fitted to the Panda though. When I first fitted Crossclimates to the Superb they were noticeably quieter than the original Continentals.

Next time? - I'll compare and contrast, but it might be a while as my mileage has dropped somewhat now I don't have a longish/horrible commute.

I know the official figures for tyre noise aren't always the best comparison (I think they are testing external noise rather than in-cabin), but from comparing all-season tyres and summer ones over the last few years, Contis tend to be not the quietest tyres, coming in with figures around the 71dB, as do Bridgestones, whereas both Michelins and Goodyears come in at the lower end, at around 68-69dB.

As regards the difference in starting tread depth, Michelins are well known for their comparatively long life (and good performance when at low tread depths), so they probably offset that with less tread in order to recoup some of the money lost due to extra life.

My CC+s fitted 4.5 years ago have admitedly only done just over 6,000 miles in that time, but they still have around 6mm of tread left and still work very well. Just a shame I've yet to test them in the snow.

Honda Civic - Summer/Winter Tyres - What to Buy? - Andrew-T

The way the climate is shaping up, we can't expect enough winter conditions to be worth worrying about special tyres ? Unless you drive in the coldest parts of the country I suppose.

The way the climate is shaping up, we can't expect enough winter conditions to be worth worrying about special tyres ? Unless you drive in the coldest parts of the country I suppose.

Agreed in a way although I'm sure we'll get extremes re cold weather. My previous Superb mkI was dreadful in snow/ice with Michelin Energy summer tyres. For me with my current Superb mkII there was a huge improvement with the Crossclimate all season tyres in very wet weather - we get a lot of that up in t'north!

Edited by Big John on 11/11/2022 at 18:51

Thanks all, really helpful comments as always.
Honda Civic - Summer/Winter Tyres - What to Buy? - gordonbennet

I'm in both camps, two cars have secondary sets of winter tyres on wheel, the other is on all seasons, snowflake and mountain symbol embossing on the sidewall.

This has been the siuation for years, my experience is that full winter tyres don't have the same warm wet weather grip as all season or summer rubber, obviously there are exceptions andf Vredestein Wintrac Extremes were probably the best all round full winter tyre i've experienced.

If i hadn't already got the second set of wheel/tyres i would go for all season tyres every time, unless i expected to travel in severe weather areas where tyres suitable for studding would be needed.

I'm not convinced that premium tyres are necessarily the must haves in this market, the all seasons are Yokohama and i've got nothing but praise for them, but would happily investigate all seasons by Falken/ Vredestein/Uniroyal etc, my experience of Chinese tyres over the years means no absolute budget stuff though.

There is one thing in favour of separate winter wheels though, even if you fitted all season tyres, means your nice set of summer alloys never get bathed in salt, seeing how quickly diamond cut/laquered alloys look shabby the cost of a used set of alloys suitable for use in the winter might actually be coste effective, plus you might find you can fit an alternative approved size wheel (check in handbook and on tyre label on door pillar) with more sensible and cheaper tyres with adequate sidewall...assuming your summer wheel are the typical huge things with no sidewall now fashionable.

Agreed in a way although I'm sure we'll get extremes re cold weather. My previous Superb mkI was dreadful in snow/ice with Michelin Energy summer tyres. For me with my current Superb mkII there was a huge improvement with the Crossclimate all season tyres in very wet weather - we get a lot of that up in t'north!

I do recall user reviews for the Michelin Energy saying that they are quite hard tyres, hence why they last a long time and are good on the co front, and probably why you had a very poor experience with them in icy / snowy conditions, given A/S and winter tyres are deliberately softer compound (as well as the different tread pattern) to help traction in the cold.

I was told that for the big makes of all-season tyres, the summer-biased Bridgestones and Michelins are best for anywhere south of The Wash that isn't high up / exposed (e.g. parts of Wales, other hilly regions well away from the south), the middling Goodyears and Contis from there up to southern half of Scotland, plus Northern Ireland, then more winter-biased Vredestein and Nokian A/S tyres or proper summer+winter sets further north or in exposed sites that regularly get a decent amount of snow.

The thing I noticed about the newer all-season tyres is how much better they are on mpg than just the previous generation, and much closer to standard (i.e. no-performance) summer tyres on that front, and often better on noise, even with their directional tyre pattern.

Honda Civic - Summer/Winter Tyres - What to Buy? - Bolt

the summer-biased Bridgestones

they might be, but have used on all my Civics both 8th gen and 9th and they have done well on all cars in all weathers, I didn`t find the Michelins much good so changed them, I didn`t find economy or grip with the Michelins as good as the Bridgestone's

they might be, but have used on all my Civics both 8th gen and 9th and they have done well on all cars in all weathers, I didn`t find the Michelins much good so changed them, I didn`t find economy or grip with the Michelins as good as the Bridgestone's

My only experience with Bridgestone's was with my previous Superb mkI (205/55/16) and I only got 18k miles out of them, I then had Michelin Energy tyres and got about 36k miles out of them. So I was rather put off. As with everything - personal choice.

I've previously done highish miles so I usually have tried to pick cars that have higher profile tyres that generally last longer and are cheaper to buy. My last two Superb's have had 205/55 r16 tyres.

Edited by Big John on 12/11/2022 at 20:47

It just shows that there is still nuance between the tyres where some work well on some makes/models and types of car, but less so on others. My comment was admitedly a generalisation based on evidence from tests and reviews on the Tyre Reviews website.

A good idea for any potential tyre buyer (especially when thinking of changing tyre model or brand) is to consult that website to see whether tyres under consideration (and other they have not) are suitable for their car and usage pattern.

Not perfect, but quite a useful guide or extra bit of information to add to your own experiences, including how one's own driving style changes things. It's handy when your car is also a common model and shod on a common size of tyre, as there are far more user reviews, which evens out any unusual individual results.

I've personally had both good and bad experiences over the years with both Bridgestone and Dunlop tyres, though (both) on different cars. My current set of CC+s are the only Michelins and A/S tyres I've had fitted to either of my cars over the years.

I might change them next time for another brand if they appear to fit the bill and are better value for money - the main reasons why I didn't go for the highly regarded Goodyears (they were slightly cheaper at the time) was because they were reported as less summer biased (my region isn't that cold in winter or gets much snow) and my low annual mileage and the Michelin's touted 10 year life (taking mileage out of the equation) was beneficial to me as I'm a lowish annual mileage driver.

I tend to change them based on tyre age (previously 6 years) and/or age-related condition and performance, and not high wear. The Bridestones weren't available at that time, and the Contis were less common (only a recent arrival then) and more expensive.

To be honest, had one of my alloys not corroded badly and let out air from the tyre (with the others visually going in the same direction, so it was a matter of time), I would've kept using the previous set of Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse summer tyres, as they actually worked ok (good enough) in the mostly light snow we get in Herts and surrounds. They'd only worn to about 4-5mm after nearly 6 years / 25,000 miles and looked fine otherwise, and were good perfoming, quiet and fine on mpg.

My light-touch driving style also appears to be suited to snow, hence why I've never really had problems driving on it with summer tyres, even the not good Bridgestone OEMs before it (which were terrible in the wet even with lots of tread left)

Honda Civic - Summer/Winter Tyres - What to Buy? - gordonbennet

Agree about tyres behaving differently on various cars.

Had Pirelli P6000 or whatever they were on a Merc, fantastic on that, others called them rubbish whe fitted to different cars.

Can't say as my Michelin experiences have been great, going back decades they were terrifying in the wet, truck or car, more recent was glad to get them off a hot hatch and fitted Vredesteins which were better in every respect.

Bridgestone, again not great experience on cars or 4x4, but the current set on my truck are the best wet gripping tyre i've experienced to date over 4 decades, won't come as a surprise to many they're snowflake/mountain stamped.

Tyre choice i tend to buy middle of the road or whatevers a bargain, Chinese no ta, start looking 6 months before needing them, especially for snowflake rated rubber, best to buy in spring or summer.

Honda Civic - Summer/Winter Tyres - What to Buy? - RT

Agree about tyres behaving differently on various cars.

Had Pirelli P6000 or whatever they were on a Merc, fantastic on that, others called them rubbish whe fitted to different cars.

Can't say as my Michelin experiences have been great, going back decades they were terrifying in the wet, truck or car, more recent was glad to get them off a hot hatch and fitted Vredesteins which were better in every respect.

Bridgestone, again not great experience on cars or 4x4, but the current set on my truck are the best wet gripping tyre i've experienced to date over 4 decades, won't come as a surprise to many they're snowflake/mountain stamped.

Tyre choice i tend to buy middle of the road or whatevers a bargain, Chinese no ta, start looking 6 months before needing them, especially for snowflake rated rubber, best to buy in spring or summer.

You need to check very carefully that your mid-range or top line tyres weren't made in China anyway.

Went for 4 Hankook all season tyres in the end.
Went for 4 Hankook all season tyres in the end.

Great, it'll be interesting to see how you get on with them. Please report back in a while. I'll do the same re the Goodyear Vector all season tyres compared to the Crossclimates. Initial feedback re Vectors - they were fabulous in a horrendous rain storm but one small issue is it does seem to spin the wheels more setting off from a junction such as a roundabout, slightly worrying as it's only a 1.2 NA Panda. They are still very new so may still be bedding in - we shall see.

The alloys on the Civic SR are lovely in my opinion. Horrible to keep clean but look nice on the car. Unfortunately both front have been caught on kerbs. The Hankooks have rim protectors so it will be interesting to see if they offer any protection. I’ve had Hankooks on other cars and always been happy with them so decided to go with them.