What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Romanian registered former UK cars - Speedbird 747

Travelling to France and back weekly via the ferries on the Dover Straits, I have noticed that recently there has been a surge of UK right hand drive cars coming to the UK with Romanian number plates.

I am not sure why it is necessary to drive these cars all the way to Romania and then bring them back, rather than just leaving them as UK registered cars, except that now the cars would be impervious to speed cameras and parking fines. A lot of the cars seemed to be poorly maintained. You would also wonder if you had an accident with one of these Romanian registered cars and it was the other drivers fault, what your chance of claiming to repair your own car would be? Non existent I would guess.

Also there are many Ukrainian registered vehicles coming to the UK. Are these road legal and have valid insurance?

Edited by Speedbird 747 on 08/09/2022 at 06:30

Romanian registered former UK cars - Adampr

A lot of Romanians would have gone back there after Brexit. Given that most were doing low paid work here, they took the cheapest way - buy an old car and drive across Europe.

Subsequently, Russia invaded Ukraine and Ukrainians fled to other countries, including Romania. Some may have been on foot, public transport etc. When they get to Romania, they find that there are quite a few very cheap UK registered cars there - ideal for their onward journey to the UK.

I suppose some of the Romanians that previously left may also be returning to the UK for fear of getting dragged into a war.

Romanian registered former UK cars - Speedbird 747

These are not old cars, but high end German cars a lot of them, Range Rovers seem to be popular.

Obviously insurance is cheap in Romania.

Romanian registered former UK cars - bathtub tom

Or not required!

Romanian registered former UK cars - Bromptonaut

These are not old cars, but high end German cars a lot of them, Range Rovers seem to be popular.

I guess the ferries would be a pinch point but these guys must spread out pretty quickly.

I live in Northampton which I know from my work has a significant Romanian population and I very rarely see any foreign registered cars. The police round here were very keen to ensure that residents complied with the law and put UK plates on as soon as they ceased to be a visitor.

Or are we back in the position where UK spec cars are cheaper abroad than in the UK?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 09/09/2022 at 11:03

Romanian registered former UK cars - edlithgow

Sounds a bit like the Panamanian-registered super-tanker thing, or it would if biziniz was doing it with trucks.

If back in the Yook I might look in to it.

Romanian registered former UK cars - Terry W

The average age of cars in Romania is 16.5 years - I assume they are economically still recovering from being behind the iron curtain.

The average age at which cars are scrapped in the UK is 13 years. I can only think that you would be considered one of the privileged few if you had a 15 year old Ford Focus!

Romanian registered former UK cars - Bilboman

For years, old Ladas were trading hands for silly money and being shipped back to former Warsaw Pact countries where they would either be run into the ground or broken for spares.Not long after the big EU expansion, many Europeans arrived in the UK to find a large, buoyant second hand car market which simply did not exist abroad. A ten year old "good runner, one owner" Ford Mondeo for £500, less still a 100,000 mile well thrashed German badged car said to have "pulling power", whatever that is, for a grand or two, would be impossible to find in Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary or Slovakia. Consequently, thousands were snapped up, and often taken abroad, regardless of being RHD. Poland and Lithuania banned re-registration of RHD imports until a European court ruling in 2014.

Romanian registered former UK cars - Steveieb

The Eastern Europeans love the old technology and in particular anything with a VAG PD engine.

I have an old A4 130 and the only people who take any interest in it are Eastern Europeans.

They love the long life uncomplicated engines and integral strength of the bodywork which seems to resist rust quite well.

Most spares on eBay seem to come from Latvia.

Romanian registered former UK cars - edlithgow

The Eastern Europeans love the old technology and in particular anything with a VAG PD engine.

I have an old A4 130 and the only people who take any interest in it are Eastern Europeans.

They love the long life uncomplicated engines and integral strength of the bodywork which seems to resist rust quite well.

Most spares on eBay seem to come from Latvia.

I got a set of points for my Skywiing from Latvia.

I'm globalised!

Romanian registered former UK cars - Grenache

I worked in Romania a few years ago and many of my colleagues would buy secondhand cars in Germany, ex-company Audis, BMWs and so on, at three years old and 100km on the clock. They were cheap to buy and still had a lot of life in them.

The people were professional engineers and could have afforded a new one, but they chose these cars as they could seel them on again in Romania after a few years with very little depreciation.

I used to hire a car there regularly and some of the local hire companies would be doing the same. Although the cars weren't new, they were well maintained and just as good as a nearly new one you would expect from a hire company.