What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz / any - Smallish Automatics - nico77

My daughter is looking to buy an automatic car for less than £3500.

She is looking for something about the size of a Honda Jazz.

I've said that I think only CVT and torque converter gearboxes are reliable enough.

Does anyone have a definitive list or maybe point me in the direction of a list of models and type of automatic for this size of car?

I realise this has been asked before but but I've struggled using the search facility to get any meaningful results.

Thanks in advance.

Honda Jazz / any - Smallish Automatics - Adampr

Not aware of a definitive list, but I would suggest Nissan Note, Suzuki Splash and Vauxhall Agila for now.

Edit: I think you could add some Mazda2s and Fiestas, and older Hyundais and Kias.

Edited by Adampr on 31/08/2022 at 14:08

Honda Jazz / any - Smallish Automatics - tanvir

As a rule of thumb, avoid any with names/abbreviations in the model name such as MMT/AMT/Multimode/DSG/Powershift etc (doesn't apply to CVT). There may be exceptions to this rule but its a good place to start

Honda Jazz / any - Smallish Automatics - badbusdriver

As a rule of thumb, avoid any with names/abbreviations in the model name such as MMT/AMT/Multimode/DSG/Powershift etc (doesn't apply to CVT). There may be exceptions to this rule but its a good place to start

Not sure that is much help because it relies on the car being described with the type of auto box it has, which is often not the case. Also, on a £3.5k budget, neither DSG or Powershift is likely to be a factor (unlike Durashift or Easytronic)

It would probably help to let the OP know what cars have a type of auto transmission they should avoid, but that is a real minefield with most makes having at least dabbled in automated manuals. Some have had both automated manuals and torque converters available on the same model ranges at the same time!.

Based on numbers available and assuming your daugher could manage going up a size, I'd start with the Ford Focus 1.6 petrol. On your budget, this will have a reliable torque converter auto and an equally reliable n/a petrol engine. Remember to carefully check the MOT history of any potential buys for advisories regarding rust underneath and also for signs of neglect, such as advisories cropping up on 2 or more consecutive years (but be aware that not all advisories are anything to worry about).

Honda Jazz / any - Smallish Automatics - Engineer Andy

My daughter is looking to buy an automatic car for less than £3500.

She is looking for something about the size of a Honda Jazz.

I've said that I think only CVT and torque converter gearboxes are reliable enough.

Does anyone have a definitive list or maybe point me in the direction of a list of models and type of automatic for this size of car?

I realise this has been asked before but but I've struggled using the search facility to get any meaningful results.

Thanks in advance.

Not all CVTs are reliable - the ones used in some Nissans (and presumably by their tie-up, Renaults) made by Jatco don't seem (by reports) to be that reliable. Not sure if the autos in their small cars are CVTs, DCTs or just TC ones these days. Older CVTs in the mid 90s Micra had their problems, but I'm not sure if the units were dumped on future versions of the car for more reliable TC units.

The other thing to mention when buying on a reasonably low budget, and possibly a first car is to keep it simple - the absolutely lowest spec they need - the less gadgets on it, the less to go wrong and thus the newer the car they can afford, which should be more fuel efficient, cheaper to run/insure and reliable, if well-maintained.

Unfortunately the HJ search facility (or all the reviews) doesn't distinguish between types of auto box, which would be handy.

Honda Jazz / any - Smallish Automatics - Andrew-T

<< The other thing to mention when buying on a reasonably low budget, and possibly a first car is to keep it simple - the absolutely lowest spec they need - the less gadgets on it, the less to go wrong and thus the newer the car they can afford >>

The rule used to be that when buying (well-)used, go for models with extras if you can, because after several years their price premium will have worn off. But I guess the insurance angle may well still apply.

Honda Jazz / any - Smallish Automatics - Engineer Andy

<< The other thing to mention when buying on a reasonably low budget, and possibly a first car is to keep it simple - the absolutely lowest spec they need - the less gadgets on it, the less to go wrong and thus the newer the car they can afford >>

The rule used to be that when buying (well-)used, go for models with extras if you can, because after several years their price premium will have worn off. But I guess the insurance angle may well still apply.

The problem with buying 'premium' spec models when older is that they still cost more, not all the gadget will work and there's more to go wrong and which will cost more to repair. Some parts may interract and cause other problems if they fail.

Plus, as you say, the extra insurance, and, don't forget they'lll liekly come with bigger alloy wheels (the base spec may have steel ones and plastic hubcaps) and low profile tyres which means low mpg, shorter lifespan (even if they don't get damaged) just due to wear, a greater chance of terminal damaage and, of course, they cost vastly more to replace.

Don't forget that a cheapo car is also far less of a target for thieves.

Honda Jazz / any - Smallish Automatics - Ethan Edwards

Suzuki Ignis. The latest ones have a normal Auto. Comfy, roomy and well screwed together.

Honda Jazz / any - Smallish Automatics - Adampr

Suzuki Ignis. The latest ones have a normal Auto. Comfy, roomy and well screwed together.

If you see one for less than £3.5k let me know.

Honda Jazz / any - Smallish Automatics - nico77

Thanks very much for all those answers. Good of you to take the time. Thanks again,