What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - Best city car - John Mcfarland
What car is best suited to short journeys? I’m looking for something up to £10,000 but needs to be very economical
All - Best city car - badbusdriver

Depends on what you mean by city car. Do you mean the best car in the 'city car' class?, i.e, smaller than a supermini (Fiesta, Polo, Corsa etc), or do you just mean the best car for use in the city?. The two options could almost certainly overlap, but the latter could easily include cars up to the small family car (Focus, Golf, Astra etc).

As you are looking for economy, the smallest and, more importantly, lightest car is most suitable. So that does really point towards the city car class, think Citroen C1/Peugeot 108/Toyota Aygo, Suzuki Celerio, Kia Picanto, Hyundai i10 and Suzuki Ignis. IMO, your best bet for the money would be the Suzuki Ignis for its combination of very small footprint, very impressive interior space, lightness, and also being quite tall. Very reliable and very nippy thanks to the low weight and 89bhp 1.2.

But I'm pretty sure from looking them up in a previous post, you can get into a brand new Kia Picanto for around £10k, though I think that may be some kind of scrappage deal where you'd need something to trade in.

All - Best city car - Xileno

An EV sounds ideal for this usage, maybe a used Zoe, I assume they are dropping to that price now. If ICE then all those mentioned above are often recommended on this forum, reliability seems largely guaranteed.

All - Best city car - Adampr

A used Zoe would suit, but would be on a battery lease. Good for peace of mind, but a bit costly. A second hand Nissan Leaf can be had for under £10k, or a Smart Fortwo electric.

All - Best city car - RT

A used Zoe would suit, but would be on a battery lease. Good for peace of mind, but a bit costly. A second hand Nissan Leaf can be had for under £10k, or a Smart Fortwo electric.

Some Zoe's are available as "owned battery" but they're more expensive than leased battery versions.

All - Best city car - Alby Back
We bought a then 7 year old Aygo for my son to learn to drive in when he was 17.
He passed his test in it, and he still has it 5 years later. It saw him through 6th form and University and is now in daily use as his commuter car.
Never been any bother at all.
I’ve suggested to him that he might want something a bit more “grown up” on several occasions, but he’s very happy to keep going with it.
It permanently has bike racks on its roof to aid with his mountain biking trips and it has taken him all over the country visiting biking venues.
In fact he’s off to France in it this summer. Good wee car.
All - Best city car - SLO76
Plenty of worthy options at this money.

Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 108 1.0
Hyundai i10
Kia Picanto
Suzuki Ignis
VW UP!/Seat Mi/Skoda Citythingy

Or you could go a size up for a bit more space, safety and a marginal economy drop.

Mazda 2 petrol
Toyota Yaris petrol
Honda Jazz

Good, well cared for examples of any of these should provide many years of reliable cost effective and fun motoring. I personally rather like the Hyundai i10 and its sister the Kia Picanto.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/06/2022 at 09:12

All - Best city car - Alby Back
Interesting you add “fun” to your list of attributes of these little cars SLO. That is exactly the main attraction for me. I love zipping about in my son’s Aygo. Reminds me in a way of an original Mini.
Very good on fuel, £20 or something a year in tax, cheap to insure/service and tyres are about £50 each for good ones!

If I didn’t need a bigger car, I’d be more than happy to own one myself.

Think I’d want one with a roll back fabric roof so I could pretend to myself I had a sports car though!
;-)
All - Best city car - SLO76
Interesting you add “fun” to your list of attributes of these little cars SLO. That is exactly the main attraction for me. I love zipping about in my son’s Aygo. Reminds me in a way of an original Mini. Very good on fuel, £20 or something a year in tax, cheap to insure/service and tyres are about £50 each for good ones! If I didn’t need a bigger car, I’d be more than happy to own one myself. Think I’d want one with a roll back fabric roof so I could pretend to myself I had a sports car though! ;-)

The wee Aygo is a hoot to drive. Most of the more enjoyable miles I’ve covered in my life have been at the helm of a small low powered front wheel drive hatchback, the smaller the better. An Aygo with a fabric roof would be a brilliant wee toy, I’d buy one as our second car if I could get a bike in the back. I did forget to exclude the Honda Jazz from the fun comment though, even the much improved to drive Mk III isn’t exactly fun.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/06/2022 at 13:21

All - Best city car - maz64
Or you could go a size up for a bit more space, safety and a marginal economy drop.

Worth mentioning I think that the size up tend to offer a reach adjustable steering wheel, while it's very difficult to find a city car with one. I didn't think I'd need it until I drove an otherwise very nice & nippy 90ps Up!; I've got a knee problem at the moment and I couldn't get my leg un-bent enough without being too far from the (fixed) wheel.

All - Best city car - Adampr

If it's being mostly used for transporting an elderly person, maybe consider a Dacia Sandero Stepway. Available with a tiny engine and a little easier to get into than smaller cars.

All - Best city car - daveyK_UK
Hyundai i10 or Kia Picanto, essentially the same car

Brilliant city car
All - Best city car - Sparrow

Hyundai i10 or Kia Picanto, essentially the same car

Brilliant city car

Yes indeed. Among its attributes is a small turning circle for great mavoeverability in towns. One downside is very light zero feedback steering, but that seems normal these days. Nothing much has gone wrong in 6 years, tho the original battery didn't last. Replaced it with a Varta one. Recommended.