What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - Johnny2R

I discovered to my horror yesterday that my driving licence had expired (some time back). I immediately applied for a new one online and got the notification that the renewal process was underway. I am trying to determine whether I am legally entitled to drive in the period until I receive the replacement, under Section 88 rules and it's not entirely clear, so I'm hoping someone can chip in and help me.

Section 88 seems to suggests that you can drive while waiting for a new licence as long as you have had notification that the application has been received (which I have). But it also seems to suggest that this applies if your previous licence runs out during the period you are waiting. I'm not sure it applies if your previous licence has expired before you put in the renewal application.

Thoughts, anyone?

Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - Adampr

Based on this, my take is that you're probably OK.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/inf1886-can-i-d...a

I think you have been breaking the law but are now in the clear.

The direct answer isn't there but the answer regarding what happens when you turn 70 probably applies.

If it was me I'd wait!

Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - John F

If it was me I wouldn't worry.......

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/28/man-drivin...e

That was one of the things I looked at:

"Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 may allow you to continue driving even though you do not hold a current driving licence. In practice, this will be when you have applied to the DVLA to renew your licence, but the licence expires (runs out) while we are processing the application."

It's the 'in practice, this will be...' stuff which is ambiguous. Does it rule out other scenarios?

Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - Brit_in_Germany

Section 99 of the RTA seems appropriate

Road Traffic Act 1988 (legislation.gov.uk)

Not read through it all in detail ut from a first glance it appears the old licence is still valid if you meet the age restriction. The 10 year life of the card is referred to as the "administrative validity period".

Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - John Boy

Given the present DVLA chaos, I would just carry on driving.

I have to say that the DVLA does not seem to be especially chaotic for me at the moment, as I submitted my application yesterday evening but, tracking it, already this afternoon I could see the message ' Transaction Completed: Licence issued'. Which seems pretty prompt to me, and also makes me think it's probably OK for me to drive now. It means that, in effect, I have a valid, current driving licence even if it's not actually in my possession yet.

Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - Smileyman

That's good to read, possibly the "chaos" at DVLA is related to instances when physical documents are submitted rather than when documents are submitted electronically - which can be processed at any location rather than just at the DVLA offices.

Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - Falkirk Bairn

Check on-line

You need your Licence No

Your NI number

Post Code

If your licence has been processed and is "in the post" it will show up as a valid Driving Licence of the DVLA site!

Yes indeed! 'Driving status You have a full driving licence'. And the expired status has gone. I have to say that was pretty efficient.

Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - Xileno

Plus also on the web we tend to only hear the bad cases so it's easy to get a distorted view. I had to apply for a new driving licence recently, couldn't fault the speed of processing at all. Was all done on-line though.

Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - FoxyJukebox
…..and to a policeman doing an on line check?
Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - HGV ~ P Valentine

Considering you have had no License I would wait until you have received the license, if the police do a check and compare dates from the time you licence expired to the date of the new one you open yourself up to prosecution.

If you had a valid license and applied before it expired, had confirmation it had been processed ( not pending ) then you are good to go but I would keep a copy of the notification in the car until the license arrives.

I have to agree with the positive assessment of DVLA, I have a lot of dealing with them ( but no more then any other HGV Driver ) and they have always done well with me, providing I do my bit and fill in the correct details in the right place.

Driving licence expired - legal to drive? - cardriver99

I discovered to my horror yesterday that my driving licence had expired (some time back). I immediately applied for a new one online and got the notification that the renewal process was underway. I am trying to determine whether I am legally entitled to drive in the period until I receive the replacement, under Section 88 rules and it's not entirely clear, so I'm hoping someone can chip in and help me.

Section 88 seems to suggests that you can drive while waiting for a new licence as long as you have had notification that the application has been received (which I have). But it also seems to suggest that this applies if your previous licence runs out during the period you are waiting. I'm not sure it applies if your previous licence has expired before you put in the renewal application.

Thoughts, anyone?

You need to clarify whether your ENTITLEMENT has expired (in which case you might not be able to drive until renewed) or your PHOTOCARD has expired (in which case you CAN still drive).

The expiry date on the front of the licence is for the photocard. On the back of the photocard are expiry dates for your different entitlements.

Although you can still drive with an expired photocard, if you get checked by the plod or done for anything else (e.g.speeding) you risk an additional fine of £50-100 or so for not having renewed your photocard by the required date. As soon as you've sent off the application to renew your licence you SHOULD be OK to drive, but keep proof of posting. And if your photocard has expired your insurance will still be valid.