What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 2008 - Peugeot PureTech engines: which one to choose? - Muletto

Hi all,

I would like to buy a Peugeot 2008 (2018 or 2019), with a 1.2 petrol engine. I quite like the car, with the only visible flaw being the small back seats. I plan to use it for light weekend driving and occasional long motorway journeys to the Continent with the kids.

What I don't understand is why they have three 1.2 L PureTech engines with very different power (80, 100, and 130 BHP). I plan to get a 100 BHP. What are the pros and cons of having such small but powerful engines? I come from a world where a 1.2 was sufficient for small cars, not 1.6 ton SUV.

Peugeot 2008 - Peugeot PureTech engines: which one to choose? - badbusdriver

Hi all,

I would like to buy a Peugeot 2008 (2018 or 2019), with a 1.2 petrol engine. I quite like the car, with the only visible flaw being the small back seats. I plan to use it for light weekend driving and occasional long motorway journeys to the Continent with the kids.

What I don't understand is why they have three 1.2 L PureTech engines with very different power (80, 100, and 130 BHP). I plan to get a 100 BHP. What are the pros and cons of having such small but powerful engines? I come from a world where a 1.2 was sufficient for small cars, not 1.6 ton SUV.

I'm a bit confused here, for a few reasons.

First, why would you be planning to buy the car if you feel the rear seats are too small?

Second, as far as I can tell, the 1.2 PureTech that age of 2008 would have had either 110bhp or 130bhp, not 100bhp (though the 1.5 diesel has 100bhp). The different power outputs are because people have different requirements regarding performance, not sure what is so complicated about that?. Back in the old days, you might have had a 1.0, 1.3 and 1.6 option on the same car depending on how much performance the buyer needed/wanted/could afford, this is the same thing, but using the same basic engine. BTW, the two higher power versions are turbo, the lower powered one is not.

Third, not sure where you are getting 1.6 tonnes from, but a 2008 with the 1.2 PureTech tips the scales at around 1150kg.

Peugeot 2008 - Peugeot PureTech engines: which one to choose? - John Boy
Third, not sure where you are getting 1.6 tonnes from ....

Large passengers?