What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - Falkirk Bairn

Started car and noted the clock was at the wrong time.

First thoughts were a rechargeable battery in the Centre dashboard had failed.

Googled "Honda CRV failing clock" only to find it was not just my car but Hondas & Acuras all over the world were having issues.

The problem seems to be file systems somewhere in the world have exceeded the limits of the numbering limit in systems. This is similar to Microsoft have Y22 issues with it's having with file naming.

People have reported it to Honda - a USA car owner was quoted August as a possible date for a solution - but not guaranteed.

It's a small point but annoying to look elsewhere for the time when driving.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - focussed

This seems like it's a USA problem, the Acura is US built.

i'm on my fourth post 2002 Honda and have never had this problem.

The 2005 Mitsubishi L200 we have does have a dodgy clock, but it's correct at least once a day!

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - RT

This seems like it's a USA problem, the Acura is US built.

i'm on my fourth post 2002 Honda and have never had this problem.

The 2005 Mitsubishi L200 we have does have a dodgy clock, but it's correct at least once a day!

Most of the Honda's sold in the USA are built there.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - thunderbird

If I had a 20 year old car and the only issue it had was a non working clock I don't think I would be worrying too much.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - Andrew-T

Perhaps the designers thought a 20-year working limit was enough. Rather like the oooold Fortran systems which couldn't allow for dates past the millennium .....

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - Falkirk Bairn

Was it not Cobol (or maybe Cobol & Fortran) that had the date issues pre 2000?

Y36? or is it Y37 Unix has a date problem - Apple iOS & other Unix based systems will all have the problem. The 1970s programmers thought 60 years life was long enough for the new Unix system they were building. The current Microsoft is a 2^31 file size / naming convention

I know it is not a big deal to many not having a clock - I suppose I could buy a Chinese digital display & stick it to the dashboard but it would remind me of the broken clock.

This is the 2nd problem I have had with the car - broken spring on front suspension 18 months ago and now a broken clock - nearly 10 years old you would expect better!!

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - thunderbird

This is the 2nd problem I have had with the car - broken spring on front suspension 18 months ago and now a broken clock - nearly 10 years old you would expect better!!

Wow, 10 years old and a broken clock after a broken spring. Cars are not made like they used to be.

You should have bought a Focus. Our 2008 Mk2 1.8 petrol lived with us until late 2019 and in that time had no faults and no MOT failures. On the last MOT there were mentions about bushes, we got a quote to replace which was about £100 all in. But after almost 12 years we decided it was time to part company.

The Mk1 Focus 1.8 petrol that preceded it (had that one almost 10 years) was equally bad, that had to have an alternator belt, cost about £30 fitted.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - John F

Wow, 10 years old and a broken clock after a broken spring. Cars are not made like they used to be.

Indeed. The 41 year old clock and springs of my TR7 still work. And the 41yr old oil in the diff is presumably still oily ;-)

You should have bought a Focus. Our 2008 Mk2 1.8 .......... On the last MOT there were mentions about bushes, we got a quote to replace which was about £100 all in. But after almost 12 years we decided it was time to part company.

Probably garage looking for work, unless you'd been rallying it.. All suspension parts on our 21yr old 160,000 mile Focus are original, with the exception of a cheap long bolt locating the rear roll bar which corroded a few years ago resulting in one of its few MoT failures (X84NJB if you wish to check). Sadly, owing to neglect during the past 2+ years of son's ownership, the rust has progressed so far that I doubt if it will pass its MoT in April. It's currently on our drive - I never thought that 50yrs ago, while patching up my old Ford Anglia, that I would be once again be amusing myself using up a very old fibreglass kit to disguise its sills', ahem, shortcomings.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - Andrew-T

Was it not Cobol (or maybe Cobol & Fortran) that had the date issues pre 2000?

Very probably. Going the other way, some US-designed packages would not accept dates before the Declaration of Independence (1776). Important for historians building databases ....

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - edlithgow

Maybe the clock has a broken spring too, generic fault they all do that sir stylee.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - Mike H

I have a 2019 (mark 5) CR-V, and am a member of the UK CR-V owners group on FB. I've been following the ongoing saga with interest, but the problem seems to be specific to the mark 3 with satnav in the top EX spec built between 2007-2011. My mark 5 isn't affected.

Edited by Mike H on 05/01/2022 at 13:39

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - movilogo

Off topic,

I wonder Honda, being so reliable in general, why not offering longer warranty like Toyota.

May be Honda lost interest in UK market.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - Heidfirst

Not just the UK but Europe. Having shut Swindon they no longer have any European car manufacturing plants.

Honda car volumes in Europe overall are roughly 1/10th of Toyota's.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - daveyjp

A friend with an 09 CRV welcomed this thread last night. His clock has gone haywire.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - expat

Not just the UK but Europe. Having shut Swindon they no longer have any European car manufacturing plants.

Honda car volumes in Europe overall are roughly 1/10th of Toyota's.

Not just UK and Europe. Australia also. They have dropped the Jazz and the new Civic is A$47,000 making it dearer than Mazda 3 and Corolla. Nearly BMW prices. They have gone over to an agency sales model where all sales are made through head office so no more haggling or discounts. Sales have dropped by half as a result.

When I bought my first Honda in 1995 the range was extensive.

Saloons, hatchbacks, 2 door/ 3 door/5 door and that was just Civics

There were sports cars, Legends, SUV, MPV ............

Today - Jazz, Civic, HRV, CRV & Honda-e even the NSX has dropped off the list

The salesman I bought the 1st car from was delighted with the range he had to offer.

Small privately owned garage - lots of buzz in the showroom anytime I was there and selling cars did not seem to be a problem - I bought 3 cars in 4 months - wife's new Honda and 2 for the student children an ex-Hertz Astra (8K on clock sold with 90K) and a Volvo 480 (21K sold 65K) - all were reliable buys.

2005 onwards replaced with a new showroom then a Glass Palace owned by a chain.

Today - Lots of cars outside, new cars in showroom but a distinct lack of staff with anything to do and a drought of customers whether that be service /repair or buying. Not just 1 visit but say 1 or 2 x per year for nearly 10 years - never spend much - just bits & pieces trying to keep the car in tip-top condition.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - FiestaOwner

Started car and noted the clock was at the wrong time.

First thoughts were a rechargeable battery in the Centre dashboard had failed.

Googled "Honda CRV failing clock" only to find it was not just my car but Hondas & Acuras all over the world were having issues.

The problem seems to be file systems somewhere in the world have exceeded the limits of the numbering limit in systems. This is similar to Microsoft have Y22 issues with it's having with file naming.

If the problem is similar to the Microsoft year issue, then can't you manually set the year in the Media system back a few years (ie any year prior to 2022)? Also ensure it's not set to automatically update the date and time.

Honda - many models 2002 upwards - Clock Failure affects wide range of older Hondas - Brit_in_Germany

This

www.theregister.com/2022/01/06/acura_honda_cars_so.../

indicates that the problem may self correct in August.