What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Active - 2019 being sold as new - JasCollins

Looking for a replacement car and came across a 2019 Ford Focus Active offered by Yeovil Ford that looks to be unregistered as it still has the factory seat covers and only 5 miles on the clock. It's being sold with 36 months warranty and first MOT due in mid 2024. Any ideas why it may have been hanging around so long and would there be any problems to look out for

Forgot to say it's £18,500.

Ford Focus Active - 2019 being sold as new - badbusdriver

Any ideas why it may have been hanging around so long

Because nobody bought it!.

This happens all the time, it isn't unusual. Covid will certainly have played a part too as new car sales dropped off a cliff.

Not sure problems are likely due to it having been sat about for 2 years, but as it has a new car warranty, I would be overly concerned.

Can't make any comment on the price without knowing the list price for the model you are looking at. But, if you are happy with the price and like the car, go for it.

Edited by badbusdriver on 11/07/2021 at 17:38

This appears to be the car if anyone wants a peep,

BTW, the reviews on Autotrader for the dealer are very good.

Ford Focus Active - 2019 being sold as new - sammy1

I think Active is one of the base models, the brake discs being corroded would be the biggest worry being sat outside? Double check the list price to see if it is a bargain and check Autotrader, otherwise should be fine

Ford Focus Active - 2019 being sold as new - RichT54

Could the seals in the air-con have deteriorated if it's not been run during that time?

I think Active is one of the base models, the brake discs being corroded would be the biggest worry being sat outside? Double check the list price to see if it is a bargain and check Autotrader, otherwise should be fine

No, the Active is an off road/SUV style version of the Focus, think Rover Streetwise.

There is link to the likely candidate............

Ford Focus Active - 2019 being sold as new - Xileno

I would want to know where it has been stored - inside, outside, field, at a channel port etc. although how one could prove it is impossible, you would have to go on the garage's word.

Ford Focus Active - 2019 being sold as new - Zippy123

Have a look at some of the broker adverts on this site (Cars For Sale).

New, better spec for the same price?

I would want to know where it has been stored - inside, outside, field, at a channel port etc. although how one could prove it is impossible, you would have to go on the garage's word.

Well, again referring back to the Autotrader link, assuming it is one of the two £18.5K Focus Active's listed by Yeovil Ford, the car in the pics is in some kind of outdoor compound along with many other Ford vehicles.

That is the one that badbusdriver is pointing out and yes it is in an outdoor compound. I thought it wasn't a bad price for new1.5 Ecoboost. Dealers seem to be quoting 21000 or so but with a slightly better spec. Apparently Jeremy Clarkson rated the estate version quite highly (for what that's worth!)

Your link doesn't seem to work Zippy123.

Ford Focus Active - 2019 being sold as new - Grenache

If you buy it, have a good look underneath, as my 'brand new' Mazda 6 was quite rusty around the spot-welds on the front and rear sub-frame members.

Obviously the car wasn't freshly manufactured, having been build in Japan and shipped across the world then sat in a compund somewhere. It was also one of the last of that 'old' shape before the new model was introduced (which I knew when I bought it).

I didn't expect a new car to have any rust, and Mazda's customer service was unhelpful, saying the anticorrosion warranty applied to the panels, rusting from the inside-out.

It was only when I threatened the main dealer with the sale of goods act that they agreed to clean up and treat the rusty parts.

That was ok for a year or two, but now from underneath the car looks a lot older than it actually is. In any case given my high annual mileage it will not prove to me a major issue.

I didn't realise at the time, but the date code on the battery is two years older than the first registration date (I bought the car new), so maybe my ex[perience will help you check it closely if you buy it.

Ford Focus Active - 2019 being sold as new - Falkirk Bairn

Some makes have a history of selling cars stored in fields - years after the manufacturing dates.

Subaru comes to mind. Likewise many Subaru dealers have cars sitting in the backyard & the forecourt for many, many months - moving them front to back to show the stock is "new in"

2nd hand cars - looking at the last road tax date + looking at MoT history can tell you quite a lot about a 2nd hand car

Look at bottom of the ashtray show a month /year of the moulding..

Ford Focus Active - 2019 being sold as new - MGspannerman

Why not buy one with 10-20k on the clock and much lower potential for flatted tyre, duff battery, leaky aircon, rusted brakes etc issues and save around £3k and possibly more? As soon as you drive it away and put a few miles on it’s value will drop significantly.

Ford Focus Active - 2019 being sold as new - daveyK_UK
It’s a very good car although the raised height of the Active vs the standard Focus is not noticeable when driving; the active version does look better than the standard focus.