What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
car supermarkets - Poindexter
I am thinking of buying a "brand new Y Reg" car from a car supermarket - probably Tradesales of Slough.

I am concerned that as such cars are already registered I will appear in the registration document as being the second owner. Anyone know if this is what happens?

Thanks.
Re: car supermarkets - Mark
Hi er Poindexter

I recently bought a similarly advertised car from Fords of Winsford "brand new Y reg". Car was a S.Ireland import as I suspect most at Tradesales will be.

When V5 came back from local licensing office the car was "new at first registration" and I was named as the first owner. Nothing to tell it was an import and all other docs correlate this story should I wish to sell.

hope this is of use

as ever

Mark
Re: car supermarkets - mark
I work at a VW / Audi dealers, and have seen a lot of these cars. Most are imports from the continent & are registered initially to the supermarket / dealer. Also with VAG imports you only get 12 months warranty, not 36 as in UK sourced cars. The warranty starts from the date of sale in Europe, not when registered in UK. I have seen several Golfs that were sold in Europe 8-10 months before being sold in UK. BEWARE!!
Re: car supermarkets - Mark
Following other Marks comments he is correct over duration of VAG warranty for example 12 not 36 months if an import (I bought a Passat). However all docs supplied by supermarket from originating dealer had no dates on them therefore VAG UK started the warranty from the date the car was sold to me and I got the full 12 months.

I suppose when all docs just bear dealer stamp and no handwriting they would be on a loser to try anything else.

Maybe some supermarkets are smarter than others. Still something to check for

as ever

Mark
Re: car supermarkets - mark
Mark did well with warranty on his passat: dealers can now contact VW UK who now have on record the date the car was sold in europe;completed book or not, this is the date they operate from.
Re: car supermarkets - crazed idiot
strongly suggest u ring trading standards in slough and ask what the complaint history is like...

get the car professionally checked (including keys/remotes etc)

ring dvlc to see how it will be registered (vin number should help)

be very careful
Re: car supermarkets - Bob Harris
I agree with crazed idiot and suggest you check with trading standards at Slough. I wanted to buy a car from Trade Sales but it seems they will put nothing in writing - specification etc - either by Email or Fax. Perhaps I've been unlucky every time I tried - but I suspect it is their policy.