-
“Scrubbers”
The cure for crabbing C43’s is switch to 18” wheels. MB paid for mine when I complained about the behaviour of the car on 19s. They provided the alternate fitment MB wheels and tyres FOC. I still have them as the new owner of my 3yr old C43 preferred the look of the original fit 19’s....
I am open to offers!
- glidermania
HJ's advice to Getting out is rather extreme. The vehicle suits the driver and has no issues apart from being 'demonised' diesel. All the owner has mentioned is routing maintenance and servicing for the vehicle which will be a fraction of the cost of a new vehicle, whether ICE or EV. The fact it is a 2104 Scenic means it's re sale value is already likely very low as it has since been replaced by a newer model.
Honestjohn’s Motoring Agony Column 08-02-2020 Part 2 - sammy1

Totally agree 23000miles hardly run in, far cheaper to keep and spend than pay £20k pkus on a replacement. Should have been recommended to buy petrol if changing. All through the agony column is advice to change to EV or hybrid, more fool them

Honestjohn’s Motoring Agony Column 08-02-2020 Part 2 - DLDLDL

But presumably this website (and DT column) does rely on people sticking to the "drive from new to x years and then replace" mentality (where x is between 2 and 4)?

The bath-tub failure curve would indicate that if you have got a car to three years old without significant problems you are probably OK until 10 years or 100,000 miles. You are paying next to nothing in depreciation and any finance is probably paid off.

You will get some bills for servicing that include replacement of expensive parts and you may get some out of service-cycle replacements required - which if you care for the vehicle can be done when symptoms first appear rather than after a breakdown. The cost of all these is probably considerably less than the depreciation of a new car and its financing.

If a car suits you, run it until you no longer trust it to be reliable?

- gordonbennet
Dedicated Followers.

It's not just LandRover products, no vehicle on road tyres is going to be much use in mud, but i suspect a bit of playing around with the various traction settings on the vehicle and/or lowering the tyre pressures coupled with some gentle rocking to and fro might well have extracted this stricken RR without resorting to towing out, the biggest danger is wheel damage with low profiles off road.

Worth, like you did, getting some pro tuition before chancing off road damage to an expensive vehicle, on the correct tyres RR's can go virtually anywhere.
- jchinuk
Regarding the GPS trackers, the police (certainly the Met in London) used to run a scheme that was considerably lower tech. You could get a sticker for your car that said (to paraphrase), "If you see this vehicle on the road between 11:00pm & 6:00am please stop it's probably been nicked".
Honestjohn’s Motoring Agony Column 08-02-2020 Part 2 - GingerTom

With so few traffic police around now these stickers are redundant.

- stojom
What about using a cheap mobile phone as a tracker hidden away somewhere. Of course they’ll need recharging but some last a week.
Honestjohn’s Motoring Agony Column 08-02-2020 Part 2 - Snookey
What about using a cheap mobile phone as a tracker hidden away somewhere. Of course they’ll need recharging but some last a week.

Run an extra feed off the back of the power socket for an in-car charger, and the 'phone could be hidden away somewhere inside the dash, permanently plugged in so its charge would be topped up every time the car was used.

- stojom
Good idea snooky, I also see you can get Tiny mobile phones only about half a finger length !