What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - DPF problem - 2.0 Diesel Focus 2006 - Virez

I'm looking for some help. I've recently picked up an 06 focus 2.0 tdci and I've had limp mode come on. I've been to the garage who have said code p2002 is showing which? is essentially the DPF. The thing is, the DPF is brand new including the pressure sensor and all of the wiring.

I believe p2002 means: Trouble Code: Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

A regeneration was done and the light reset, within half a day it was back. Same code.

Went back to the garage, they have suggested? a new EGR valve. One was installed, light reset and on my way I went. This lasted a day, the light returned.

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? I'm having a new fuel sender unit installed as when I bought it, I knew it needed one.

Also in the times where the car was running OK, cruising at 2000rpm presented me with a slight hesitance/judder. Enough to rock me back and forth In my seat.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Virez on 04/08/2018 at 19:30

Ford Focus - DPF problem - 2.0 Diesel Focus 2006 - Graham567

According to this....

www.yourmechanic.com/article/p2002-obd-ii-trouble-...n

it could be an exhaust leak?

Have a good read of the above.

You could also try Shell super diesel and Millers diesel additive and then give it a good blast on the motorway.

Edited by Graham567 on 04/08/2018 at 20:00

Ford Focus - DPF problem - 2.0 Diesel Focus 2006 - SLO76
No real help to the OP here but this is another fine example of how buying a cheap diesel is almost always a false economy. There’s just too much that can go wrong. If you’re buying on a tight budget keep it simple and stick with a normally aspirated petrol instead. A Focus with the very reliable 1600 Yamaha petrol wouldn’t be a money pit like this even if it did go wrong and from experience it’s rare that they do.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/08/2018 at 20:18

Ford Focus - DPF problem - 2.0 Diesel Focus 2006 - S40 Man

I would recommend a forscsn code reader. If you have a lap top the USB to obd cable and software give lots of information on trouble codes. You can then internet search from there.

Informed, a garage can't pull the wool over your eyes. It's got a dedicated dpf section. I did a static Regen on mine (08 mondeo tdci) recently. This worked out well.

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-USB-Modified-ELM327-Elmconf...3

Ford Focus - DPF problem - 2.0 Diesel Focus 2006 - elekie&a/c doctor
Have the dpf pressure sensor pipes been checked? They could be split or blocked.
Ford Focus - DPF problem - 2.0 Diesel Focus 2006 - Big John

Did you buy from a car dealer/trader? You have rights especially in the first six months.

Suspect you may have bought someone's previous problem.

Careful how much money you chuck at it - fixing by multiple substitutions can get very expensive. It needs to be properly diagnosed.

Edited by Big John on 05/08/2018 at 21:15

Ford Focus - DPF problem - 2.0 Diesel Focus 2006 - drd63

OP, this is a12 year old diesel, I don't know how many miles it's done but somethings clearly not right. Surely an expensive MOT failure can't be too far away. Is it worth persevering?

Ford Focus - DPF problem - 2.0 Diesel Focus 2006 - TheGentlemanThug

I agree, knowing where you bought the car and the history of the new DPF is crucial in this case.

If it was a dealership, then you may have a right to refuse the car. If it was a private seller then, as said, you've bought someone else's problem. In either case, I'd be looking at getting rid of it and opting for a petrol engine instead; preferably a Japanese one.

Edited by Bicycle_Repair_Man on 07/08/2018 at 13:50

Ford Focus - DPF problem - 2.0 Diesel Focus 2006 - S40 Man

talkford.com/community/topic/195474-eml-code-p2002.../

I had this code on my 2.0 tdci mondeo. I assume ficus may be similar. As per link above or may well be the dpf pressure sensor. The car needs to know if the dpf is blocked ever. It has sensor either side of dpf. It's a rubber hose. If the unber side of car gets to hot it can melt or deteriorate. This can happen if stuck in stop start traffic.

A proper Ford part is around £110 I did an excellent bodge with some rubber brake cable, some jubilee clips and some thick tinfoil for insulation. Total cost about £7

Mine was slightly awkward to reach but the dpf on exhaust system should be obvious.

Ford Focus - DPF problem - 2.0 Diesel Focus 2006 - pd

I think you need to establish if the DPF is actually getting blocked or the DPF is fine and it is a sensor problem.

As per the advice above, the DPF pipes which run to the sensor on the Mondeo are very prone to getting holes in and I suspect the Focus is the same. Frankly, any decent silicon hose will do - I think it is 6mm. If these are OK check the pressure sensors its self is OK and also that it has been recalibrated properly. If you replace the pressure sensor use a decent one and not a cheap off ebay which often cause more trouble than they solve.

The hesitancy could be the EGR - try temporarily unplugging the EGR valve or fitting a £3 blanking plate (5 min job) as an experiment and if either solves the issue it is the EGR valve. Not expensive on these engines.

The DPF is basically a filter, two bits of hose and a sensor. It isn't rocket science or black arts so with a bit of sensible, logical diagnosis can usually be solved easily.