What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - bippysan
Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi Premium SE Auto [7 seats] diesel

Hi - I'm interested in buying an ex-demo/pre-registered car from a dealership. It has just over 3,000 miles on the clock. What discount, if any, can I expect to negotiate off the price? The dealership will only sell at the listed price and will not budge from this (no negotiation) --- the list price for a 2016 model is around £36k. This is a 2015 model and they have listed at £30k. Is it normal/reasonable for dealerships to refuse to negotiate on ex-demo cars? Thanks! (First time I have purchased a car that isn't second hand so any advice greatly appreciated.)

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - Graham567

Looking on autotrader the same car is priced around the £30,000 mark so i think you'll have difficulty getting a discount.You can but try and haggle hard.

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - jc2

If it's registered and has 3,000mls.on it,it's a secondhand(sorry pre-used) car!It's NOT a new car.

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - RT

Get valuations from the various websites, they'll vary considerably but will give you a clue.

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - TedCrilly

The dealership are under no obligation whatsoever to reduce the price , they are there to make money not loose it.

If you are not prepared to pay the full price thats fair enough, but if you are prpeared to play the waiting game you can tell them if they still have it in stock in a month or two to get in touch with as they may then consider a discount. In the meantime you just have to hope that no one does come along who is prepared to pay the full price.

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - Avant

The First and Only Law of Economics:

The right price is what some other poor sap will pay.

This dealer clearly believes that someone will pay £30,000 for it. If no-one does, the price will come down.

£36,000 seems a lot for a Santa Fe: if the price is going up that much for a 2016 model, it could be worthwhile looking for a nearly-new 2015 model for under £30k.

£36,000 seems a lot for a Santa Fe: if the price is going up that much for a 2016 model, it could be worthwhile looking for a nearly-new 2015 model for under £30k.

Hyundai have been relentlessly moving gradually upmarket for decades, it's inevitable that their prices are being dragged up as well - especially when their residual is so high, I got 45% (from WBAC) of the purchase price on my nearly 5-year old Santa Fe recently.

Some mainstream brands can't manage 45% at 3-years old, never mind 5.

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - Andrew-T

This dealer clearly believes that someone will pay £30,000 for it. If no-one does, the price will come down.

Exactly. I might insert 'no-one does in a reasonable time'. If the salesman sees you as seriously interested, he isn't going to budge easily. It may also depend whether you intend to part-ex.

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/11/2015 at 09:31

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - NARU

When I bought my mx-5, the dealership were able to price a new one cheaper than the demonstrator.

When my wife bought her yaris, the reverse was true, but not at her local dealer - another one had a small glut of ex demos.

So ... it depends! Do your research so you know what a good deal looks like, and go in to negotiate.

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - daveyK_UK
Offer them £28k in person, make sure they realise you are serious.

If they say no, ask again and if they continue to say no, walk away.

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - Avant

Hyundais seem to hold their value surprisingly well, even the larger ones if RT's experience is typical.

Earlier this year my elder daughter traded in a 3-year-old i10 for a new one and the PX allowance was over 50% of what it had cost new.

Hyundais seem to hold their value surprisingly well, even the larger ones if RT's experience is typical.

Earlier this year my elder daughter traded in a 3-year-old i10 for a new one and the PX allowance was over 50% of what it had cost new.

Partly because a 3-year old Hyundai has still got 2 years manufacturer-backed warranty for unlimited mileage - it does have some wear/tear exclusions but all at generous limits - such cars get a better warranty at 3 years old than some do new.

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - galileo

Partly because a 3-year old Hyundai has still got 2 years manufacturer-backed warranty for unlimited mileage - it does have some wear/tear exclusions but all at generous limits - such cars get a better warranty at 3 years old than some do new.

On renewing insurance this month, my insurer's suggested value for my 6 year old i30 was £4100, which is 41% of what I paid for it new.

Hyundai Santa Fe - What discount to expect from a pre-reg/ex demo car - Armitage Shanks {p}

Colleague of mine negotiated £3000 off a £19000 208 a few weeks ago. Used the Drive the Deal quote to get a discount from a dealer.