What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz SLK - Mercedes Extended Warranty - Worth it? - csgmart

My SLK is coming up to 3 years old and MB have offered me a 1 year extended warranty for £428 (annual payment) or £45.58 per month. As it's a diesel engine I don't want to suffer from a huge cost (although I always let the engine warm up fully and it's serviced on the dot by MB and 99.9% of journeys are 50 miles plus) or anything else going wrong.

The warranty looks to be pretty comprehensive as follows:-

Tier 1 Covers all mechanical and electrical components of your vehicle for defects - except the items listed below:

All service items which will require periodic replacement

Any item that has worn out rather than suffered from a defect after 100,000 miles

Auxiliary drive belts

Brake friction material and discs/drums

Light bulbs and fuses

Diesel glow plugs

Reprogramming/software updates

Hoses, hose clips and connectors

Glass

All hinges

Interior/Exterior trim

Wheels and tyres

Wiper blades

Body work/body seals

Does this look good value? I probably won't keep the car for the full 12 months (might get out of it in 6 to 9 months time) so would go the monthly payment option.

Appreciate your thoughts on this?

Mercedes-Benz SLK - Mercedes Extended Warranty - Worth it? - Bolt

I think your better of putting that money aside these warranties are not worth having in my opinion

Mercedes-Benz SLK - Mercedes Extended Warranty - Worth it? - gordonbennet

Assuming you won't go past 100k in the year its actually quite good value for a genuine makers extended warranty, Toyota wanted around £700iirc for the Hilux in 2010, i didn't take them up on their offer.

The only query i would have, and i would get confirmation of this...if a glow plug fails and it proves (as they can do) to be a major operation to remove and refit, will the warranty cover the work invloved if not the part price.

Is it value for money for you? that's a choice only you can make.

Assuming you won't go past 100k in the year its actually quite good value for a genuine makers extended warranty, Toyota wanted around £700iirc for the Hilux in 2010, i didn't take them up on their offer.

The only query i would have, and i would get confirmation of this...if a glow plug fails and it proves (as they can do) to be a major operation to remove and refit, will the warranty cover the work invloved if not the part price.

Is it value for money for you? that's a choice only you can make.

Thanks - a good point and I'll ask them.

I rather suspect that the cost of any major item failing would be more than the cost of the policy so (for me) it seems at first consideration to represent good value. Whilst I've owned the car from new (and have treated sympathetically in all the time I've driven it) any car can break and MB parts aren't going to be cheap that's for sure.

So, for peace of mind (and subject to checking out the point above) I think I'll go for it.

Mercedes-Benz SLK - Mercedes Extended Warranty - Worth it? - RobJP

Glowplugs are specifically excluded on the list you initially gave ? So it's a bit of a moot point.

'Service items which require periodic replacement'. You might want to check if the DPF is viewed as requiring 'periodic replacement'.

Glowplugs are specifically excluded on the list you initially gave ? So it's a bit of a moot point.

'Service items which require periodic replacement'. You might want to check if the DPF is viewed as requiring 'periodic replacement'.

I called them and they said that any labour would be payable by me but in the event the claim was accepted by them (for whatever work was undertaken) I would get the full cost of the labour back from the dealer.

So, it does clarify a few things and in my mind makes the policy less attractive (although I can't see many polices covering labour for a part that isn't covered by the warranty itself).

Maybe the alternative option is not to buy the policy and to use an independant in the event of a problem and ensure they use genuine MB parts.

Edited by csgmart on 17/08/2015 at 19:21

Mercedes-Benz SLK - Mercedes Extended Warranty - Worth it? - Andrew-T

Extended warranties, regardless of make, are a profit-making extra. So almost by definition they will be loss-making for you, unless you think your car is going to incur expensive repair (covered by the warranty, of course). As a Merc owner you may feel that £400+ is petty cash :-) so for peace of mind pay it. A better bet is to put the £400+ in a safe place and spend it on some other luxury when nothing happens to your 3-year-old car - as it shouldn't.

Extended warranties, regardless of make, are a profit-making extra. So almost by definition they will be loss-making for you, unless you think your car is going to incur expensive repair (covered by the warranty, of course). As a Merc owner you may feel that £400+ is petty cash :-) so for peace of mind pay it. A better bet is to put the £400+ in a safe place and spend it on some other luxury when nothing happens to your 3-year-old car - as it shouldn't.

Well put.

I suppose it couldn't be summed up any better than by Dirty Harry - "Feel lucky punk?".

I can therefore do as you suggest and hopefully have £400 odd to spend on something nice when the car eventually goes back to MB or spend it on the policy and sleep sounder in the knowledge that at least some things are covered against breakdown or failure. Ho hum - I'll think on it a bit more before making a decision.