What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Stream - DRL - Daytime Running Lights - teekay

Hi, My first post! Assuming one sees merit in having DRL (Daytime Running Lights) retro fitted to your car, I would like to discuss the wiring for it. There are DRL controllers in market which have three extra wires - one each for side indicator and one for headlights. The ided being that the DRLs blink with appropriate side indicator (L/R) and turn dim/off when Headlights are on.

I have bought a quality CREE DRL with DRL controller that has ONLY one extra white wire, which I am being adviced by the reputed seller, that if this SINGLE wire is connected to one of the side indicators, appropriate DRLs will start blinking while indicating.

Can someone please advice if the DRL controllers could be smart enough / somehow to commnicate using one wire connected to only one side indicator, and know to blink when the other side indicator is used? (I hope this makes sense!). Can please someone share how to go about wiring for DRLs, especially when there is only ONE extra white wire, which I originally thought gets connected to headlight (to enable DRL to auto turn off with Headlights turning on).

Many thanks in advance, Kay

By the way the DRL kits don't have clear instructions but I understand that the functionality can be -

1. DRLs that turn off when headlights are turned on - OR -

2. DRLs that blink when side indicator lights are used - OR -

3. DRLs that stay constantly on and only turn dim when headlights are on)

Honda Stream - DRL - Daytime Running Lights - elekie&a/c doctor

Not totally sure what system you have ,but the way I see the system function it should bring the drls on with ignition and then should switch off or dim when lights operated.They can only flash amber with indicators and certainly not white.The system would need to see a signal from both left and right indicators to flash amber leds.

Honda Stream - DRL - Daytime Running Lights - teekay

Many thanks for your reply. I have decide to go for this simple wiring diagram. Hope this will make sense.

+ve

-- ========== ------>---------------------------[DRL left]

[ DRL Controller]

-- ========== ------>---------------------------[DRL Right]

-ve

-----> white wire---[ Sidelight / Low beam headlight]

I expect it to do a simple job of always turning on when I drive, except when any of the lights are in use - headlight / foglights / parking lights / anything.

Edited by teekay on 19/06/2015 at 00:23