What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic Type R - New Honda Civic Type R - Engineer Andy

After reading the initial test drive here and on other sites, I am a bit bemused at the market that Honda are trying to reach with the new Type R. I remember a few years back even thinking about getting a new mk1, given it was only £2-3k more than the not-very-warm-but-nice 3dr 1.6 Sport (which sort of looked like a Type R without the performance) at a rather expensive (I thought at the time) £14.5k compared to the cheaper Mazda 3 I finally plumped for.

The new one is almost twice as much as the mk1 from 9 years ago, and yes, its much faster round the Nurburgring, but how many people buy a Honda just to do that? The mass-appeal of the original was amazing (a lot of bang for your buck) - they sold shedloads of them in the UK - personally I can't see Honda shifting many with those looks, likely very hard ride and the hefty price-tag, a bit like the Ford Focus RS. Its almost a touring car with a number plate. It doesn't help when both VW and Audi have still-very-fast but more civilised (for day-to-day use) alternatives. Anyone wanting a proper track-day car will either use whatever is at the track (rather than shell out £30k for a car they would use a hanful of times a year) or buy a proper sportscar instead.

Honda Civic Type R - New Honda Civic Type R - Bolt

The Public here and in America asked for it, check out civic sites, as with standard car you either love or loath them, but a lot of engineering has brought this one together

I`m not surprised at the reaction to it, but why do any manufacturers make a fast motor, money, but it`s meant to make a statement that they can do it, and its different to look at as well as being fast, in my opinion it looks great, but I wouldn`t buy one if I had the cash

To the best of my knowledge the order books are doing well, last I read but as you know things change rapidly in the motor industry

Honda stated they can make an even more extreme Civic if its asked for, good luck to them.....

Somehow I doubt if they both intend and (if they did intent to) will sell anywhere near the number of new Type Rs as they did on the mk1 - its just way outside the price range of the 'young professionals' who used to buy them. It appears to be geared to the former 'boy racers' from the 90s who are having a mid-life crisis and don't want to buy a motorbike.

A pity Honda cannot use their 'engineering know-how' to better effect in their F1 engine division. Yesterday's GP performance, was (IMO), as Alonso said, amateurish.

I didn't see the racing I missed it though Honda did say there was problems with that unit.

As for the type R we will have to wait and see. I actually prefer the tourer estate personally and may buy one in a few years

I see what you mean about the F1 engine, but dont forget they only came back into it 2 years ago, actually they might have been better off using one of the older engines but who knows, I expect they will recover

I actually cant see what all the fuss is about with the type R, Honda only wanted to do what all manufacturers seem to like doing, outdoing one another

I think this time economy has come into the mix which they took no notice of when the 8th gen come in, except the Jazz, But if the type R is as good as it sounds and looks(its not to everyones taste we all know that) I think it will do well

Honda Civic Type R - New Honda Civic Type R - skidpan

In 2005 me and the wife were also in the market for a new "hot hatch" and we narrowed it down to 3, the Civic Type R, the Mini Cooper S and the Golf GTi (or whatever it was called).

The GTi was probably my favourite but at over £18,000 too expensive.

The Type R was the bargain at under £15,000 including A/C and metallic but the wife felt it too focussed for the road and the sport front seats were a total pain for people getting into the back.

We bought the Cooper S which at £15,000 (including a few extras which the dealer did a deal on) appeared to be a bargain.

Now 10 years later the Golf has risen to just over £24,000 an increase of 33%.

The Type R will be virtually double if the prices quotes are correct, not a bargain this time.

The current Cooper S is now £18,800 and includes all the kit we paid extra for and more. That is a 25% increase.

Out of the 3 the Cooper S is still the bargain, probably more so now but its still small and cramped with a token boot that make it a pain in the real world. Thats why we sold ours.

There are better buys out there for less money, the Seat Leon FR 1.4 TSi with 150 PS is just one example. £19,700 retail and there are savings of £3,000 or more to be had. All the real world performance anyone could want (or need) and all the kit as well.

We have never had it so good.

Honda Civic Type R - New Honda Civic Type R - focussed

If you want the sort of performance that the Type R delivers there is nothing else that even comes close - it's that simple.

I would have one in a heartbeat, but, we need more room than our current Type S and are looking for an estate.

If the Big H marketed a Type R estate it would be job done - but they don't.

The current Civic 1.6 smoker estate just doesn't make my corpuscles react, boring boring boring.

Honda Civic Type R - New Honda Civic Type R - Avant

Focussed, it sounds as if your best bets are fast estates from the VW Group - Leon, Octavia or Golf - or the Focus ST. I tried a Focus ST and it was a bit too 'in yer face' for me, but the VW Group models all have the ability to pootle as well as go fast.

Honda Civic Type R - New Honda Civic Type R - focussed

Focussed, it sounds as if your best bets are fast estates from the VW Group - Leon, Octavia or Golf - or the Focus ST. I tried a Focus ST and it was a bit too 'in yer face' for me, but the VW Group models all have the ability to pootle as well as go fast.

Yes fully agree, as you can probably remember I am looking for an Octavia Combi RS TSI as the Vrs estate is called over here.

I can't say that the "Combi" name encourages me at all!

My problem is that in my neck of the woods (literally-I'm surrounded by woods!) that they are very thin on the ground , new Octavia demonstrators don't exist, very few, if any French buy powerful petrols as diesel is so cheap here, so it's a case of looking around for a used one at a dealer within 100 km or so to have a drive in.

Edit-I've just had a look at the Focus RS estate-I see what you mean, the interior is lairy and hideous.

Edited by focussed on 10/06/2015 at 00:50

I wholeheartedly agree - the Leon SC FR 1.4 TSi ACT is in my view the 'spiritual successor' to the original Civic Type R - great to look at and to drive, not over-the-top 'lairy' looks and good value. If VAG can just fix the gremlins that they and other group stablemates share, then I would be considering one. Saw a lovely one outside my home yesterday. Nice.