What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Comfort and wheelbase - scot22

From a previous post I have learned about the relationship of tyres to comfort. I have read on another forum a comment about the length of a car and comfort. Posts were not really clear.

My parking is mediocre so I really don't want anything larger than medium size, e.g volvo S40, although prefer supermini size such as Honda Jazz.

Is there a relationship between car length and ride ? I would appreciate any information understandable by someone with limited knowledge.

Thanks

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - RobJP

There is, generally, a relationship between length of wheelbase and ride quality. All other things being equal, a car with a longer wheelbase will be more comfortable.

However, it is entirely possible to have a short wheelbase car that is very comfortable (small wheels, so high profile tyres, comfortable damper rates, etc), and it entirely possible to make a long wheelbase car that is horrible (think BMW 7 series from 2008 or so, in Msport trim, with hard suspension and 20" wheels)

So. Avoid anything with 'Sport' or (for Volvo) 'R design', avoid large wheels (stay 15" or 16" if possible), and make sure you test drive on normal roads, not where the garage has decided is ideal.

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - gordonbennet

Can't argue with any of that, especially endorse the choose your own route on test drives, the local car supermarket is well known (apart from their comedy hard finance package sell routine) for the test drive comprising one junction up the dual carriageway which runs alongside and back.

I rode as passenger in my friends new Golf GTD earlier in the week, sitting on 19" wheels with 35 aspect tyres, i wouldn't give you a thankyou for it, you could feel every stone comprising the road surface and tyre roar was horrendous (every bit as bad as an XR3 from the 80's)....that's relatively long wheelbase compared to the length of the vehicle so, as per RobJP, long wheelbase compared to overall length on its own doesn't mean all is well.

I thought my Landcruiser was hard riding compared to our Scooby Outback, but that ride in the Golf has put things back in perspective and it's Jag soft in comparison.

edit, LWB doesn't mean poor turning circles, RWD cars like BM/Merc have superb turning circles, as do Citroen Boxer FWD vans, even my full time 4WD Landcruiser turns tight, so quite why a FWD car like a Volvo has to come with the turning circle of a supertanker is a mystery.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/05/2015 at 11:54

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - scot22

Thank you very much for these extremely helpful posts : couldn't have been better. It is really appreciated.

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - corax

so quite why a FWD car like a Volvo has to come with the turning circle of a supertanker is a mystery.

It's a long five cylinder block and gearbox mounted transversely so there isn't much room for the steering components at either end. The focus ST with the same engine has the same poor turning circle.

Normally Vw's are good for soundproofing, which is one thing that does separate them from Skoda's and Seat's, but I suppose having tyres like that is going to create a lot of noise regardless.

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - gordonbennet

The whole car surprised me TBH Corax, everything gloomy black inside, rock hard seats, when the ride and noise made themselves known it just cemented the intial impression...to be fair the engine noise is well insulated.

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - RobJP

GB ... I think that's the point of it. Loud, rock-hard handling is 'sporty'.

To be fair, and a slight revision of my earlier post, not every car with 'sporty' suspension and big wheels has all the ride comfort of a tea tray. My current BMW (3 series, F31 estate), which is Msport AND has 19" wheels is surprisingly pliable - certainly better than the old E90 series was, and the old car had 17" wheels on SE suspension. However, the new car does have optional 'adaptive' suspension, which is viewed as almost essential by most people. Without that, the ride is supposedly horribly crashy

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - Ed V

I was amused and not surprised to see on TV a famous former England batsman leaving The Oval in a car with about 21" tyres with a profile of about 30, in a Jag XJR I think.

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - Engineer Andy

I concur with what's been said, and would add that even amongst the higher 'low-profile' (i.e. non '80' profile tryes) there is a significant difference between one make (or even range within a make) of tyres and another.

I found that my current set of Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse tyres (not too bad overall, good value) on my Mazda3 mk1 saloon are far quieter than the original-fit Bridgestone ER30s (admitedly they lasted a long time, but it felt like driving on solid tyres and emitted a terrible droning sound on chipping surfaces).

Best to visit www.tyrereviews.co.uk or similar and look up the reviews for the higher-profile tyre sizes mentioned (find out what your car can take), particularly for your car (often a tyre can perform completely differently from one make/model to another). Give most credence to review of over 10,000 miles as they most tyres change in behaviour after the first couple of months/thousand miles (wearing in, a bit like an engine).

From the HJ reviews, VWs appear to have been sound insulation than many other non-executive car makes - one large gripe I have with Mazda is that they have never got to grips with reducing road noise compared with other marques (probably made worse now that they are IMO obsessed with reducing weight in their cars).

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - John F

Mechanically, I would contend there is little or no relationship between vehicle length or wheelbase and comfort.

Apart from road quality, ride comfort depends on tyres (pressure, profile) spring firmness (coil, torsion bar, etc) and damper settings (mechanical friction,air, hydraulic). All are tuned according to sprung/unsprung weight distribution.

Then there is seat cushioning. French cars of the 1960s used to have particularly squashy comfortable seats, because their roads were so bad.

One of the most comfortable rides is afforded by the Silver Cross Balmoral with a wheelbase so short the wheels overlap!

Different opinions welcome as usual.........

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - Ian_SW

For town use, I don't think there's much relationship between wheelbase and comfort. Far more important factors in that case are seat type/position, how heavy the clutch is etc.

I do a lot of motorway miles, and have found there is a tipping point for car length at which there is a noticable improvement if you spend a significant proportion of every day travelling on the motorway though. That tipping point is about at an Astra/Golf sized car - the 5 door hatchback at this size is significantly less comfortable than the estate. If you step up into a Insignia/Mondeo/Passat there is an even larger improvement, though I find you only really notice at first when getting back into the smaller car, doing the same journey and realising it's quite a bit more tiring.

For tight twisty country roads though, I've found cars like the Mondeo to actually be quite uncomfortable. I think this is down to them being wider as well as longer which means the left hand side wheels closer to the side of the road surface more, which is where most of the potholes are!

Any - Comfort and wheelbase - Avant

Skodalan, your nom de clavier suggests that you may agree with me that an Octavia estate is a good compromise between the cars you mention!