Renault Scenic buying advice - zaly

So I've finally decided to get a Renault Scenic. I apreciate it may not be the wisest of choices given some of the reliability problems reported but I loved my 51 plate scenic (Ernie - I miss him daily) and I hate my supposedly ultra reliable Focus C-Max so I'm making the decision with heart over head.

Hoping someone might be able to advise me model wise. I'm looking at the 04-09 models and thinking the 1.5 Diesel as a good compromise with power/economy. Would love to find one with the panoramic roof too but a bit worried about leaks?

Renault Scenic buying advice - elekie&a/c doctor

The early scenic model that you have were not too much trouble.Unfortunately the mark 2 from around 2002 onwards can be a whole lot of aggro,especially on the electrical equipt.The 1.5 diesel is a good power plant with a good balance of power/economy.Petrol engines are also ok.If a Scenic is a "must buy",then go for as late a model as possible and make sure everything works correctly,especially the electric windows,heater blower and a/con ,dash display with no fail warning lights showing.Make sure there are 2 working key cards and the electric parking brake operates ok.I would avoid any car (make and model)with a panoramic sunroof.

Thank you, that's hugely helpful advice and I will look at all those things when buying. Budgets not looking too healthy so I was thinking of an older model but I guess I should be looking to stretch a little if the newer offerings are likely to be less trouble.
I'd read that Renault would fix the dash issue for £150 which I know is a common fault.
Could you tell me why the panoramic sun roof is a bad idea? Is it because of leaking? I quite liked the idea of it.
Thanks again!
Renault Scenic buying advice - madf

Renaults from c 2002 to 2207 suffered endemic designed in electrical defects.

Anyone who buys one is a masochist at best...in my view..Read the HJ reviews...And Renault dealers are a bunch of incompetents when it comes to solving designed in problems...It is no coincidence Renault lost half their market share in that period..(factual)

Renault Scenic buying advice - daveyK_UK

You are buying yourself a heap of problems.

And dont think the 2009 - onwards Scenic is much better, there are still problems with the latest model.

With so much choice around, would you not consider an alternative brand MPV?

I'm struggling to find anything that I like even half as much as the Scenic. I thought the C-max would be a good alternative but I really dislike it. The only other car that came close was the c4 Picasso but also a car that comes with problems I believe and I don't like it as much. I looked at Touran's but they're quite costly, and the Zafira doesn't really do it for me either.
Renault Scenic buying advice - jamie745

I've got a little soft spot for the Scenic. It's a nice looking car and with the whole removable seat stuff it's as practical as a van. It looks lovely from every angle and the whole LCD dash board and overall layout is just...nice. It's full of niceness.

The C-Max is a perfectly fine tool, but less exciting than a carpet sample. The C4 Picasso is a stupid car and the Zafira is a Vauxhall.

A decent used Scenic with a good service history shouldn't pose too many problems really. All cars have problems. Renault dealers don't have a good reputation so go to a local independent if you've got one.

Renault Scenic buying advice - Avant

I appreciate that you don't like the various alternatives to the Scenic, but you might consider the Toyota Verso, which you haven't mentioned yet. There are some good Renaults around, but you have a much higher chance of getting a good one if you go Japanese. There have been Versos for many years, so there will be some within your budget.

Whatever you buy, find one that has a service history and an appearence of having been well looked after.

Edited by Avant on 21/03/2015 at 23:58

I'm going into it all with eyes wide open, I know they have problems, but so has my C-max, and every problem with the C-Max is made more annoying by the fact that I dislike the car so much. At least the Scenic is a car I know I like and can live with. From the research I've done the main problem seems to be the dash which they'll fix for £150, the keys going which can be repaired by a guy on eBay for £25 and the window rollers which you can fix yourself. Although I may be missing things!

I looked at the Verso and it seems like a nice car but there are no decent ones within 100 miles of me. There were old high milers but I didn't think it was worth looking at them as it's not something I'd buy and probably wouldn't give me an accurate idea of what the cars like. I did look for awhile but nothing came up locally.

Thanks Jamie745 - fellow Scenic fan. I don't think there's many of us around lol. I'm hoping with careful selection, service history, reasonable mileage, decent dealer and warranty I might be able to get one that isn't a complete headache.

Edited by zaly on 22/03/2015 at 08:44

Renault Scenic buying advice - Brian Tryzers
Then I'm not sure what advice you were looking for, Zaly. If you're set on a Scenic then buy the best and newest you can find and afford and don't come whining to us when it falls in a heap. (Of course, if it goes five years without a hitch, the bragging rights are all yours.)

For what it's worth, I had a 2008 Verso for four years from new. It's a thoroughly competent machine, with a very durable and well designed interior - vastly more useful than the C-max - that still looked new when we sold it, but I never warmed to it because of poor driver ergonomics, a dreadful audio system and - worst - a horrible high-frequency jiggle to its ride that made it fatiguing over long distances. For 20-minute local child-bus duties (or, if course, a 20-minute dealer test drive) it was fine, but it's no cruiser. (Nor is it actually Japanese: German design, British engine, built in Turkey.)

For that reason, if you do look at one, make it the 1.8 petrol not the 2.2 diesel we had, because you won't want to drive it far enough to get the economy benefit. Or do what we did, accept that MPVs are the spawn of Satan and buy a large estate car instead.

Edited by Brian Tryzers on 22/03/2015 at 09:39

Thanks Brian, I was really looking for advice about what to look out for with the Scenics to avoid picking a bad one, and the tips about checking all electrics, 2 keys, not the panoramic roof etc are really useful. It's also good to hear opinions both for and against as it's helped give me some perspective. Going car shopping today so will see what's about.
Renault Scenic buying advice - jamie745

I work with somebody who has a 5 year old Scenic and they think its magnificent in every way. I've had two Peugeots and am on my second Jaguar. Most people here will designate such cars as heaps of rubbish but they've all been absolutely fine.

If I was looking for an MPV the Scenic would probably be top of the list, you can get quite a new car for your money with them as well. I'm unlikely to purchase such a vehicle and would prefer a Volvo V70 if I needed a massive boot though.

V70...massive boot - ah, if only! Avant knows this story from elsewhere, but our large estate was meant to be a V70, until we tried one and found it's not nearly as big inside as it ought to be. It's great in the front, of course, but tight in the back seat, and the boot floor is very high for a front wheel drive car. The Mercedes E, despite being RWD and about the same length overall, is a vastly better estate car - so we bought one of those.

I still like Volvos, although the idea of an XC90 appals me, so I hope the forthcoming V90 is big enough to be a true E-class rival.

Now back to the Scenic.
Not a lot of Scenics around today on my car buying adventure, been introduced to the Seat Altea which maybe a contender though...
Renault Scenic buying advice - Alby Back
Altea is probably not a bad thought. I always think they unfortunately look a bit like Hitler from the front though.
From the Eastern front or the Western, Alby?
Renault Scenic buying advice - Alby Back
Either really. I also think the new Discovery Sport looks like Les Dawson gurning so don't take any notice of me.