What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Automatic 2 litre hatch 2002 - Engine Warning Light on dashboard remaining on - Advice Seeker

Hello. Help please.

My engine warning indicator light has come on and remaining steady on just one journey at the moment. There appears not to be any loss of engine power or function or of any other driving functions.

I read somewhere that the warnings relating to the engine indicator light could relate to any number of faults, e.g. low brake pads / discs. Does anyone know if this is true ? I believe that the brakes may currently be low and this would not be too difficult to manage

I have no wish to ignore the warning but am also a bit short of cash at prensent and would prefer that I am not told of some really expensive fault which possibly is not required.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, DOES ANYBODY HAVE A VIEW AS TO WHETHER THE CAR COULD / SHOULD BE DRIVEN AT THE MOMENT ? I live in a small town and seldom make journeys above about 10 miles.

I would be grateful for any advice at all, even if I don't want to hear it necessarily :)

Thanks for your help. Phil.

Ford Mondeo Automatic 2 litre hatch 2002 - Engine Warning Light on dashboard remaining on - RobJP

Nobody can answer whether the car is safe or fit to drive - as you yourself point out, it might be anything from a minor engine fault, through to a brake fault which could make it into a deathtrap for you or anyone else on the road nearby. Whether your journey is 1 mile, or 100 miles, makes no difference in that respect.

Realistically, you need to get a garage to look at it, and read any fault codes, which hopefully will give an indication as to where the problem lies, and an idea as to the costs involved in fixing it.

Ford Mondeo Automatic 2 litre hatch 2002 - Engine Warning Light on dashboard remaining on - elekie&a/c doctor

The yellow engine warning light monitors the fuel injection system and nothing else.Certainly not the brakes.If the car drives ok with no holding back or misfiring,then the fault is likely to be related to the egr valve.The car can be driven with no problem.

Ford Mondeo Automatic 2 litre hatch 2002 - Engine Warning Light on dashboard remaining on - Advice Seeker

Thanks for the advice. Car has gone to shop for assessment, but the advice you offered was not dissimilar to the mechanic. Thanks again for taking the time to assist,

Thank you for the very sound advice, Car has gone to workshop for review. Much appreciated.