Small MPV choices - Cartos

Hi all,

My dear stepson decided to do a little high speed parking and rolling of my wife's focus through a local hedge thus rendering it an effective write off!

We need to replace ASAP the vehicle with something in the £3-4.5k range that has done no more than 50k miles, manual, petrol.

I'm going a bit round and round in circles on what to go for, so any help or thoughts appreciated.

The list at the moment is:

Nissan Note circa 2007/2008 - 1.6

Ford C Max 2006/07 - 1.6

Skoda Roomster 2007 - 1.4

Peugeot 307 SW - 2007/08 - 1.6

Have I missed any obvious other candidates?

Any strong thoughts / experiences that might lead me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help.

Small MPV choices - gordonbennet

''Any strong thoughts''

Yes, remove said stepson from you insurance.

Verso, Avensis Verso, Kia Carens, Kia Ceed estate, Mazda 5.

Left field Lacetti estate, Daihatsu Materia.

Haha, thanks for that. Don't worry he's nowhere near my insurance!!

I'll investigate your other suggestions.

Small MPV choices - gordonbennet

Couple of others, Honda FRV (might be out of budget unless high mileage) and..wait for it...Fiat Multipla..aaarrgh..but looks aside i kinda like these a lot, felt very van like in a good way.

Not forgetting the many van based, and better for it, MPVs such as Berlingo/Partner, Doblo, Kangoo.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/08/2014 at 10:29

Small MPV choices - dadbif
Citroen C3 Picasso, good fuel consumption, huge load carrying capacity, easy ingress and egress.
Small MPV choices - Jase

How many seats do you need? CMax and Note are 5 seaters, suggesting a hatchback would be fine. If you need more than 5 seats I second the Honda FRV suggestion. You should be able to get the 2.0i chain-cam petrol engine in budget.

Small MPV choices - daveyK_UK

How many seats do you need? CMax and Note are 5 seaters, suggesting a hatchback would be fine. If you need more than 5 seats I second the Honda FRV suggestion. You should be able to get the 2.0i chain-cam petrol engine in budget.

Nissan note. they are becoming a 2nd bargain.

Don't go for the Chevrolet or daihatsu as mentioned by a forum user, they will be hard to sell and parts will become an issue. They are both a bit more expensive to insure.

5 seats is fine but it is the ability to handle larger loads that we are after for university drop offs, dogs and general family load carrying.

The FRV is going to be a bit of an issue on fuel economy I think.

The Note seems a good option along with the Roomster. Am I mad to be considering a Peugeot and all the potential electrical issues that might throw up?

Small MPV choices - Avant

Bearing your budget in mind, I suggest a Toyota Verso in front of any of the above - diesel or petrol depending on your annual mileage.

Any used car is a gamble - can't be helped - but Toyotas seem better able than most to soldier on reliably for years.

Small MPV choices - Trilogy

I'd avoid Peugeots. I'll seond Avant with a Corolla www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/corolla-verso.../ However, the earlier version www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/corolla-2002/ Otherwise I'd go for a C-Max.