MINI Cooper S - Is 79,000 miles too high for 58 plate Mini Cooper - jen_1981
I am looking at purchasing 58 plate Mini Cooper S but the mileage is 79k. The price seems quite good at £8000 but I'm not sure if it would be better to buy an older mini with lower mileage.

I like this car and it has the lower tax as well as some great features, but I have always had low mileage cars in the past and this mileage worries me slightly.

I intend to keep the car for up to 5 years and in the past 5 years have only averaged 6,500 miles per year. This car has a full mini service history and only one owner, but that's all I really know.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Jen
MINI Cooper S - Is 79,000 miles too high for 58 plate Mini Cooper - SteveLee

Just make sure it has an up to date service record and a warrenty - coz timing chains are prone to snapping thanks to the wonderful German engineering.

MINI Cooper S - Is 79,000 miles too high for 58 plate Mini Cooper - gordonbennet

Plus the supercharger or turbo whichever are weak, a friend has had both fail plus the usual timing chain replacements several times plus many other things, he daren't keep one outside makers warranty, i don't think any of their MINIs got past 30k miles the present one didn't make 1500 miles before its first of many dealer revisits in its 8 month life to date,

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/09/2013 at 23:23

MINI Cooper S - Is 79,000 miles too high for 58 plate Mini Cooper - Simon
I think that it is a bit of a gamble and you could quite easily end up with some large bills within this proposed five year period, even though your average mileage is low.
MINI Cooper S - Is 79,000 miles too high for 58 plate Mini Cooper - Dwight Van Driver

Have a look at last Thursdays (26th) Watchdog on BBC i Player for the bit on power steering problems with these vehicles.

Very interesting.....

dvd

MINI Cooper S - Is 79,000 miles too high for 58 plate Mini Cooper - Andrew-T

Have a look at last Thursdays (26th) Watchdog on BBC i Player for the bit on power steering problems with these vehicles.

Yes, but that focussed on pre-2008 Minis which 'should' let this one out. However it has been a busy car, which I suppose may be a good thing in a way?