What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Estate 2007 - Buckled Wheels - E-Chen

My 2007 Focus Estate has 16 inch 5-spoke steel wheels. I have been told that 1 is buckled. I moved it to the rear and the road noise/vibration got worse so I think I might have two buckled wheels at least.

Would it be better to get the solid disc wheels I have seen on other Ford Focus models? Are these at any less risk of getting buckled? I read an article elsewhere in this forum about getting 15 inch wheels instead of 16 inch and fitting higher profile tyres to protect the rims from potholes. Would this help with the Focus, What size tyres would I need?

Thanks in anticipation.

E-Chen

Ford Focus Estate 2007 - Buckled Wheels - MikeTorque

You need to replace wheels that are buckled, alloys can crack as a result of buckling then they fail catastrophically.

When you say "solid disc wheels I have seen on other Ford Focus models" which models are you referring to ? No Focus has solid wheels.

The Focus Econetic mk2 has 15" steel rims as standard with narrower and higher profile tyres. These will provide you with lower rolling resistence, a more comfortable ride, less road noise transmitted into the cable, a slight reduction in emergency braking distance, slightly reduced grip on bends when on the limit, and a reduced risk of potholes related damage. You would need to contact your insurance company to see if they consider them as a modification. The tyres on the 15" rims are 195x65.

Ford Focus Estate 2007 - Buckled Wheels - E-Chen

You need to replace wheels that are buckled, alloys can crack as a result of buckling then they fail catastrophically.

When you say "solid disc wheels I have seen on other Ford Focus models" which models are you referring to ? No Focus has solid wheels.

The Focus Econetic mk2 has 15" steel rims as standard with narrower and higher profile tyres. These will provide you with lower rolling resistence, a more comfortable ride, less road noise transmitted into the cable, a slight reduction in emergency braking distance, slightly reduced grip on bends when on the limit, and a reduced risk of potholes related damage. You would need to contact your insurance company to see if they consider them as a modification. The tyres on the 15" rims are 195x65.

Thank you for the speedy response. The wheels I have in mind are the ones with a circle of small slots/holes around the hub just inside the rim. I have seen them at Ford Parts shops on the internet. Thanks too for the pointer about the insurance.

Are the 16 inch 5 Spoke steels particularly vulnerable to buckling? I've never had problems with the "solid" type before?

Thanks again

E-Chen

Ford Focus Estate 2007 - Buckled Wheels - Peter.N.

Can you see that the wheels are buckled? If not I would make sure that its not the tyres that are faulty, ply seperation can cause imbalance even if the tyre balances off the car.

Ford Focus Estate 2007 - Buckled Wheels - MikeTorque

I take it you're referring to the 15" wheels, a set of Ford Focus 2008 6J X 15 Steel Road Wheels.

The 16" 5 spoke are standard on the Focus mk2 Zetec model and are not noted for buckling but they do have to deal with a lot of shocks as a result of the firm suspension, so they could eventually buckle if subject to a lot of poor road conditions and/or kerbing. The Sport model has a different spoke configuration but also had a firm suspension setup so the same applies as per the Zetec.