What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Mk2 1.8 Diesel Zetec TD115 Reg 2008 - Which Engine type? Not a TDCI! - alan8376

The car I have appears to be a TDCI, even the engine plastic sound proofing has TDCI written on it. There is no TDCI badge on the boot/hatch door. V5 does not list it as a TDCI...Some paperwork from previous garage Service Reports list it as TDCI

The info info I have got from Ford ETIS lists the engine as a Duratorq DI-HPCR (115PS) Lynx .

I have a feeling this is a early form of TDCI on an older style engine.

Can anyone give further info?

Thanks

Alan

Edited by alan8376 on 27/05/2013 at 11:50

Ford Focus Mk2 1.8 Diesel Zetec TD115 Reg 2008 - Which Engine type? Not a TDCI! - BenG

It's definitely a TDCI, unless the engine has been transplanted into a petrol Focus. This is unlikely as the gearbox and suspension would need changing as well, and probably lots of other things.

The Duratorq 1.8 motor is an older cast iron head/block Ford design in contrast to the 1.6 and 2.0 diesels which are aluminium alloy Peugeot-Citroen designs. Ford label the 1.8 as part of the TDCI family.

People slag off the 1.8 as an old design but I was very happy with the performance of my Mk1 TDCI after a little remapping and it gave good economy of 52-55mpg on a motorway run. It's also not prone to turbo failure in contrast to the 1.6 diesel (see the thread on here).

Ford Focus Mk2 1.8 Diesel Zetec TD115 Reg 2008 - Which Engine type? Not a TDCI! - alan8376

Thanks for the comments... I am beginning to agree it is a TDCI looking at the pump and electronic injectors. Certainly different layout to the TDCI Mondeo I had previously.

The engine is not as smooth as the Mondeo but still has lots of poke. I believe this old design is supposed to be reliable, even though it is rather noisey.

Thanks..

Thanks for the comments... I am beginning to agree it is a TDCI looking at the pump and electronic injectors. Certainly different layout to the TDCI Mondeo I had previously.

The engine is not as smooth as the Mondeo but still has lots of poke. I believe this old design is supposed to be reliable, even though it is rather noisey.

Thanks..

Ford Focus Mk2 1.8 Diesel Zetec TD115 Reg 2008 - Which Engine type? Not a TDCI! - dafskipman

I too, have the Duratorq 1.8 diesel in my 2007 Focus. I believe it is known as the Lynx or Kent engine. The reason the Duratorq engines fitted in the 2.0 Mondeo's (and 2.0 Focus's) is smoother, is because they are a relatively modern design incorparating DOHC and 16v. I believe the engine block is cast aluminium too. Whereby the Lynx engine is quite old by comparison with only SOHC and 8v and a cast iron engine block. The TDCI in the description of the engine denotes that it has a common rail injection system, rather than the older TDDI injection system on previous models. Im told by a mechanic that the newer TDCI cars are classed as "Euro 4" standard, therefore qualifying them for the lower tax brackets.

Ford Focus Mk2 1.8 Diesel Zetec TD115 Reg 2008 - Which Engine type? Not a TDCI! - Peter.N.

The TDDI has a fuel injection pump, if it is common rail the chances are its a TDCI.

Ford Focus Mk2 1.8 Diesel Zetec TD115 Reg 2008 - Which Engine type? Not a TDCI! - jc2

By 2008,it should be a TDCI irrespective of any bits of paper!

Ford Focus Mk2 1.8 Diesel Zetec TD115 Reg 2008 - Which Engine type? Not a TDCI! - jc2

DI =Direct Injection

HPCR=High Pressure Common Rail.