What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - Engineer Andy

Whilst there has been threads in the past discussing which car tyre inflators are best, I have a related query.

I have always relied on manual car tyre pumps before, and whilst I am perfectly physically able to use them, they do not appear to be as long-lived as those in the 'olden days' (I'm not that old though).

My dad's Halfords' single barrel pump worked well and lasted for 20+ years, but both its replacement and all of mine since I bought my first car in the late 90s lasted far less, increasingly being of poor build quality and quickly developing faults (though always after the measly 1 year warranty).

My bicycle (a previously unwanted but decent hybrid mountain bike) tyres also have 'car tyre' type tyre valves, and it is far easier and quicker to inflate them using the car tyre pump than using a hand pump (which I take with me on rides just in case, as it's light / portable).

What I'm looking for is either a decent quality pump that is good in operation and lasts a long time to use for both. As I live in a flat, I cannot use a direct plug-in type 'inflator', but could use (if they are made) a solely battery-powered one if a high quality 'manual' foot pump isn't available. Given my car's predilection for going through car batteries, I'd rather not rely on one that you have to plug in to the car for power. Recharging indoors before use is fine though.

My first foot pump, a Halfords' special from the late 90s, lasted the longest (about 10 years), the second (same) lasted half the time (both mechanisms failed), then came a Michelin double barrel unit (still sold) back in the 2010s that lasted about a year or so before it fell to bits. Very disappointed in that one.

The latest is a Draper double-barrelled one where one of the cylinders has failed after about 5 years, but sort-of still works, just with more effort and which makes a horrible screeching noise due to the broken barrel.

I also would like to buy a tyre pressure gauge that can read up to the bicycle tyres' max load of 80psi (the tyre range is from 45-80) in addition to normal car loads of 32-45psi. Any experience with the digital ones (manual ones only appear to go up to 50-60psi) - a 'basic' Halfords digital unit does go up to 99psi.

Many thanks for any assistance given.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - Gateway88

I have a Ring single cylinder pump with an analogue gauge that I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago. Seems to be lasting well and the gauge seems reasonably accurate. Can't remember how much I paid but it wasn't an expensive one. I suppose an alternative might be buy a solidly built vintage one from eBay.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - Xileno

I have an RAC branded dual barrel bought from Argos about five years ago. So far it's been fine and quality seems acceptable. I never trust the gauges on these cheap pumps, much preferring to double-check using my old PCL gauge.

I had a Draper digital gauge which was great until it stopped working one day. I replaced the battery but it wasn't that.

For my mountain bike I use one of those standing pumps, I think they call them stirrups. Mine was from Wilko and has been excellent but other shops will have them now Wilko is sadly no more.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - davecooper

Yes, I have found the stirrup pump I bought for my bikes to be very good on car tyres as well. Obviously if you have to put a lot of air in then an electric pump would be easiest, but for a few psi I have found the bike pump very good.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - corax

After years of disappointment with modern foot pumps that seem to fall apart with regularity, I bought a restored Kismet Baby foot pump from Ebay. It is a joy to use compared to the modern types, solid and stable, but small enough to store in the car. Should have done it years ago. I just have to remember to oil the leather washers twice a year (and only vegetable oil will do, mineral oil rots them). Besides it's a work of art, all metal and no silly bits of plastic waiting to fail. In fact I'm tempted to buy another just to look at it, I'm attracted to the Dunlop Major in all it's black and gold glory.

I have a Goodyear digital gauge that does the job. The battery is replaceable. If you want real longevity you need one of the metal pencil types.

I have an RAC branded dual barrel bought from Argos about five years ago. So far it's been fine and quality seems acceptable. I never trust the gauges on these cheap pumps, much preferring to double-check using my old PCL gauge.

I had a Draper digital gauge which was great until it stopped working one day. I replaced the battery but it wasn't that.

For my mountain bike I use one of those standing pumps, I think they call them stirrups. Mine was from Wilko and has been excellent but other shops will have them now Wilko is sadly no more.

I also don't trust the gauges on the car pumps - in my experience, they always under-read (and by 20% in many cases) when you start to put the air in, and over-read when you finish.

I still use my trusty 'old design' Draper 'straight head' type, but it only goes up to 50psi and on my bicycle's newer rear tyre, where it is difficult to get correctly seated / use for some reason. Fine on the car though.

Are the digital types more or less accurate than the older style straight head or dial analogue ones? Is it more dependent upon the manufacturer (quality) than type?

I only have a basic hand bike pump as it's light and can fit in my rucksack [with all my other stuff - water bottles, food, etc, etc] for a ride, just in case (never had need to use it when out and about, touch wood). It probably seems like too much hard work to use compared to the foot pump because of the power capacity.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - Adampr

I use a bike 'track' pump for bike tyres and topping up car tyres.

I also have a battery powered pump for bigger jobs (it's amazing for rubber dinghies!). It uses 18v drill batteries.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - John F

I use a bike 'track' pump for bike tyres and topping up car tyres.

So do I. The attached gauge is good enough for bicycle tyres but I use a metal pressure gauge for car tyres.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - Brit_in_Germany

The bike pumps used to be known as track pumps but floor pumps seems to be the current term. The best is probably the sks rennkompressor but others work just as well. I use a Topeak joeblow sport which can be used with car tyre valves or the high pressure Presta ones.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - blindspot

exact same storey for me as op.. now using a hand cycle stand up and pump. from halfords. just over twenty quid i think. well pleased with it, up to now

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - Steveieb

I still use a stirrup pump rescued from a Lada which I found in a sc*** yard . There was a tyre gauge too in the tool kit.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - Bromptonaut

If you want to use an electric pump indoors there are plenty of transformer/adapter devices available. We have one we use with a 12volt coolbox which can be either in the car or indoors.

Best thing for bikes is a workshop type stirrup pump. Even getting 100+psi into the Brompton is a doddle with that.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - Ian_SW

I think the problem with the newer foot pumps is that the metal frame just isn't strong enough. They are ok if you only ever use them on a perfectly flat garage floor, but even on a slightly uneven driveway they twist and put unnecessary loads on the pump itself.

The last one I had did last a little longer, it was from a company I'd actually heard of and bought from the local motor factors. However it still didn't survive much over 5 years of fairly infrequent use. In contrast, my father still has and regularly uses a foot pump he bought in the early 1980s!

I'm currently without a footpump, and so far have used a combination of the "Emergency" pump, included with the car along with the pot of goo in place of a spare wheel, to get most of the air in and a workshop type bike pump for smaller amounts.

I will probably get another foot pump if I can find one which looks decent enough - the bike pump is quite a work-out when increasing the pressures of the rear tyres between the "driver only" and "fully loaded" values - a change from 28 to over 40psi if I remember correctly. Equally i probably shouldn't use the "emergency" pump too much as it doesn't seem particularly robust.

Indeed - the modern foot pumps seem to be so flimsy compared with those made in the early 90s and older.

You do indeed get a good workout from using a foot pump if you need to add more than a bit of pressure.

I have to remember to check my bike's tyres (especially the older front tyre and inner tube, which doesn't hold air as well as the newer rear) the day before I go on a long / arduous ride, as I need all my energy to complete it now that I'm not exactly a young man any more!

Hopefully I can find something suitable from those suggested that is battery powered and can be recharged via both the car cigar lighter and (at least) a standard home three-pin socket.

I'm just glad (touch wood) I've never had any bike tyre issues whilst a long way from home.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - Deryck

I have had a couple of the traditional single and double barrel foot pumps but neither were exceptional. I think the current one has sprung a leak in the short hose to the tyre valve.

I have most recentlyused the track pump normally used for my bike. It is much easier to top up the car tyres than the foot pump

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - galileo

My battery booster pack has jump leads, white and flashing amber lights, USB and 12V ports and a built in tyre pump with gauge.

Its only limitation is the gauge only goes up to 50 psi, whereas space-saver spare is supposed to be 60 psi. However, my regular tyre fitter (a very meticulous fitter and balancer) is of the opinion that 50 psi should suffice for the short term drive to get a puncture repaired. (|He topped it up to 60 anyway, for free!)

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - Brit_in_Germany

If you are after a pump to take on your rides then one which uses a CO2 cartridge might be worth looking at - no effort on your part but you will need a new cartridge every time you use it.

Car and bicycle tyre pumps / inflators and gauges - edlithgow

I still use a stirrup pump rescued from a Lada which I found in a sc*** yard . There was a tyre gauge too in the tool kit.

I had one of them, may still in the Yook but I THINK it was stolen in London along with most of my tools there, including the rest of my Lada tool kit.

Here in Taiwan everything I've had has been junk, except a trad bicycle pump from Decathlon, which was the cheapest they did and worked well, neither of which fit current bizniz models, so its no longer available.

They have multiple designery options, a couple of which I've tried. Junk.

Especial warning against a USB charged Shaomi model my GF got me, though I dont suppose you'd need one.