What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Blue Badge parking in permit zones - Lrac

I visit a hospital where parking is often non existent however a few meters away there is a very wide almost deserted road with permit parking only sections 08-10 & 14.00 -16.00, the majority of the road is double yellow lines that do not go onto the kerb.

Can I legally park on the double yellow lines using my Blue Badge? The areas with permit times are sectioned off with white lines.

Thanks in advance

Blue Badge parking in permit zones - Theophilus

As a general guideline, if this is a public road Blue Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours. (not where there are restrictions on loading or unloading – indicated by yellow kerb dashes and / or signs on plates).

You need to display the Blue Badge and also the parking time clock.

Blue Badge parking in permit zones - Falkirk Bairn

>>You need to display the Blue Badge and also the parking time clock.

In Scotland the rules are similar BUT there is no clock needed.

I have a clock but reserved for the odd trip South.

Blue Badge parking in permit zones - RT

>>You need to display the Blue Badge and also the parking time clock.

In Scotland the rules are similar BUT there is no clock needed.

I have a clock but reserved for the odd trip South.

Some places in Scotland use a parking clock system for everyone, eg Dumfries and Stranraer - the clocks are available free in local shops - BUT - the Blue Badge clock is an acceptable alternative for visitors to Scotland.

Blue Badge parking in permit zones - Matt Arnold

Thanks Falkirk Bairn! That's really helpful to know, the clock thing confused me a bit. Sounds like I'm good to park there with the badge then, perfect! Hopefully it won't be too busy today.

Blue Badge parking in permit zones - Falkirk Bairn

I have only had a BB for a few months - always seem to be spaces where I have been - the only issue is finding them in the car park!

Council Carparks that charge for parking are free for BB. Private carparks seem to charge BB Holders.

That said, if you get a Parking Invoice from the Parking Vultures you can just ignore them. In Scotland the car owner is not liable, it is the driver that could be taken to court and, if you do not contact them at all they cannot go to court. To go to court they need a name and if you do not tell them no court action is possible.

Police & Council Parking tickets are enforceable - if you forget to show the BB by mistake they will fine you.

Only 1 instance of no BB spaces!

We went for a family meal 2 weeks ago - large car park - say 100 spaces & only 5 BB spaces which were taken.

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 23/06/2024 at 10:24

Blue Badge parking in permit zones - RT

Council Carparks that charge for parking are free for BB.

That isn't universal - I find that roughly 50% of council carparks which charge for parking either charge Blue Badge holders the standard rate or offer a concession like 30 mins extra rather than offer free parking for Blue Badge holders.

Hospitals should offer free parking for Blue Badge holders but in many cases you need to have registered the car & Blue Badge prior to parking.

The above mainly applies in England - it's much easier to park for free with a Blue Badge in Scotland.