Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - SBB

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to replace my current vehicle and have my eye on a Suzuki Baleno SZ5 1.0 Boosterjet. Seems to be quite roomy compared to other superminis and decent amount of features. I would like to keep the car for a few years, the extra space whilst still being a small class of car is appealing as I'm a young driver and would like to keep the insurance premiums down. I suppose my question is, has anyone had any experience with the Baleno, namely negative ones? Or perhaps should I be looking elsewhere, such as the Dacia Sandero? My budget is £7,000.

Thanks for your help.

Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - SLO76
Nothing wrong with the Baleno, it’s a robust little car. The slightly awkward styling meant it was never a big seller in the UK and demand for them used is weak so prices are low. This is good when you’re buying but remember that it’ll be next to worthless when you come to sell so it would be wise to keep it longterm.

I’d cast your net a bit wider, include other options such as a petrol Mazda 2, petrol Ford Fiesta 1.25 (not the Ecoboost!) Toyota Yaris 1.33 petrol and Honda Jazz. All are robust, cheap to run and easy to sell on again. That’s not to say don’t buy the Suzuki if you find a nice one, it’s deserving of being on the list too.

The Dacia is a rebadged Renault Clio built to a price. Trim quality is lower, longterm durability is questionable also. They’re not bad cars, they just get a bit tatty with age and mileage, more so than more mainstream brands and the 1.0 turbo petrols are still untested, they’re too young to know if they’re robust. The older models were best with the slow but simple 1.2 petrol. But I’d rather have an older Mazda 2, Fiesta or Yaris.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/05/2024 at 00:35

Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - badbusdriver

I'm a fan of "unsung heroes" and the Baleno very much fits that description. Haven't owned one so no actual experience, but Suzuki's are very reliable in general. The Baleno offers usefully more rear seat and boot space than the Swift, so if that is what you need or it appeals, go for it. They are light cars too, so the 1.0 Boostejet will offer strong performance as well as good economy.

As for the Sandero, I quite like the Stepway version but I'd still take a Baleno Boosterjet over one of them.

As you are interested in extra space, another option you may want to consider is the Skoda Rapid and Seat Toledo. These are the same cars (barring badges and some minor trim differences) and are based on the Fabia/Ibiza/Polo platform. But they have a much longer wheelbase and a truly massive boot. Not sure if your budget would stretch to the later 1.0TSI, if so I'd certainly be looking at those. Otherwise, you'd be looking at the earlier 1.2TSI which came with either 85 or 105bhp. You just got the one body shape on the Toledo, but the Rapid also came as a sort of halfway estate called the Rapid Spaceback. Weirdly, it's boot is some way short of the Rapid/Toledo, but still nearly 100 litres more than the Baleno. The Spaceback is arguably a better looking car but horses for courses and all, plus, the extra boot space (550 litres!) of the Rapid/Toledo may swing it.

Edited by badbusdriver on 17/05/2024 at 06:20

Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - paul 1963

Had one as a loan car a few years ago, loved it tbh, the one I had was a auto, worked well, nice smooth changes etc.

Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - Ethan Edwards

We had a Swift with the One litre turbo engine. Just superb economical and felt powerful, made a good noise. That Baleno would be a good buy.

Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - daveyjp

I've a couple of colleagues with Suzukis, both vehicles are now 7-8 years old and neither have had any problems whatsoever.

For a new driver they offer that perfect mix of good value and reliability.

Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - up north

I agree. The Toledo is underrated and a decent car and better than the Baleno except for mpg. It's also much better than a Fiesta 1.25 and Dacia. 105bhp 1.2 tsi is a great engine. The interior is roomy with a huge boot. Comfortable seats. Handles nicely. Cheap tax. I am comparing as went from a new Fiesta to a new Mazda 2, then a 3 year old Toledo. The Mazda was uncomfortable and cheap seats, but nice engine and great mpg for a 1.6 petrol as 50 mpg. But surprisingly it was second best for everything else. The grey colour is the best option.

Edited by up north on 21/05/2024 at 10:18

The Toledo is underrated and a decent car and better than the Baleno except for mpg. It's also much better than a Fiesta 1.25 and Dacia. 105bhp 1.2 tsi is a great engine.

Thing is, while the Toledo/Rapid are based on the Polo/Fabia/Ibiza platform, it isn't really a small car (other than width). It is nearly half a meter longer than a Baleno (nearly as long as a Focus estate of the same age) which may make it unsuitable or undesirable for the OP.

Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - tim10597

My daughter has the Baleno SZ5 1.0 Boosterjet automatic. She bought it from my mum four years ago when my mum gave up driving. With the exception of having a stone through the air conditioning compressor, nothing has gone wrong with it, it’s had routine servicing and maintenance and needed nothing else. We will replace the tyres this year as they will be 8 years old (car is 2016 model, and is very low mileage for the year). It easily does well over 50mpg, closer to 60 on a run and is comfortable. The Apple Car Play connection works well, so no need to update the maps on the cars SD card. Criticism? The boot is quite small for the size of car, but that does translate into good space for passengers.

It’s not a car I would buy, but my daughter loves it and having just asked her, would highly recommend one!

Criticism? The boot is quite small for the size of car, but that does translate into good space for passengers.

Hmm, that comment is both unfair and inaccurate.

The Baleno came out in 2016 and had a 355 litre boot capacity. The only other contemporary car of that size category which could equal it was the Jazz, everything else (Fiesta, Polo, Clio, Yaris, Fabia, Ibiza, 208, etc) had smaller boot capacity. And apart from the Yaris and Jazz (both of which were exactly the same length as the Baleno), all those other cars are (slightly longer). Even if you look at current versions, only the Ibiza equals the Baleno's boot capacity, the rest are all smaller (albeit not by much), including the Jazz who's boot has shrunk to 300 litres.

Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - tim10597

Depends which sources you read as to the size of the boot, I think it’s 320 litres, but that’s not really relevant as from having used it, the boot is quite shallow (66cm deep at best). Go to the supermarket and you’ll get about 3 or 4 bags for life in there, after that it’s full. Mrs Tim had a Fiesta until a few months ago, the boot in that was much more useable. And as I said, a smaller boot has benefits for rear seat passengers.

Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - Steveieb

A lot of the Suzukis registered in my town five years ago were imported by an unofficial dealer from Belgium after he identified a price differential.

He did great business after Skoda dropped him as he didn’t have the finances to build a glass palace. Sad because he helped Skoda increase their market share from the days of the rear engined models and once they had VW based cars to sell the small dealers disappeared .

Suzuki Baleno - Thoughts on Suzuki Baleno - bazza

It's actually a good point that boot capacity is not the only factor in choosing. For example our Vitara boot capacity is quite a lot less than our previous Civic but because of it's squarish shape and layout is a lot more useful for shifting bulky items, or using it as a picnic or coffee table for example.