Peugeot 308 SW - Brand new 308 dilemma -Garage pre registered the c - Cozyman

Hi,

So....I placed an order for a brand new 308 SW (what a gorgeous looking car ??) in May this year. Initially had a look at one in dealership quick chat to sales guy and left him to sort his best deal and went home. He later emailed me the deal which I accepted and signed Vehicle Order Form online. Delivery estimate 1st August. All happy.....

Step forward to late July and contact via email to say expecting car within days as it had arrived in the country...

4th August I get a V5 for my new car in the post! Queried with garage and advised due within days....

As of today I still haven't had contact to advise car is at the dealership...I had a little moan a couple of weeks ago and manager said he'd refund me a couple of months car tax and a full tank of petrol.

My issue now thought is not only have I lost out on car tax but also will be well over a month's warranty and worst of all surely as it's going to be after 1st September before I get the car it should be a 73 plate not a 23?

I can only assume the garage registered for their benefit financially before they got sight of the car?

Am I right in feeling really aggrieved here?

I've no problem with it being delayed it just doesn't seem right I will end up with a 23 plate car after September!!

I'm tempted to threaten to walk away from the deal (I never paid a deposit) and see what they say.....

Anyone else had something similar??

Don't want to mention the dealer yet as not given them chance to see what they'll do but it's a big national dealership...

Thanks Neil

Peugeot 308 SW - Brand new 308 dilemma -Garage pre registered the c - daveyjp

Dealer will get a bonus for cars registered in August. They will also be stacked out prepping cars for September new reg.

Its underhand (but not surprising and I can hazard a guess on the dealership doing it).

If you want the car negotiate some compensation, if you have paid tax that's part of it, but a tank of fuel at £60-80 will cover that. Check they have filled it on pick up.

If you are thinking about walking away will you get a better deal elsewhere? Daft to walk away and up up paying more just to spite the original dealer.

There is also the possibility the car has been damaged during transit and it needs fixing,

Give them a deadline for pick up, but for that you need to be prepared to walk.

Thanks for replying.

I don't want to walk away if I'm honest as it was a good deal...

It's more the principle of what they've done that irks me, and that by rights I should be getting a 73 plate as they couldn't provide it in time.

I was hoping someone might have a similar tale to see the boundary's of how far would be reasonable to push them..

The date of registration was 31st July..

Peugeot 308 SW - Brand new 308 dilemma -Garage pre registered the c - RT

Thanks for replying.

I don't want to walk away if I'm honest as it was a good deal...

It's more the principle of what they've done that irks me, and that by rights I should be getting a 73 plate as they couldn't provide it in time.

I was hoping someone might have a similar tale to see the boundary's of how far would be reasonable to push them..

The date of registration was 31st July..

Since this was a car that you ordered, accepting that you'd have to wait for it - I'd play merry hell with the salesman because you didn't get delivery on 31st July - you will have bought a pre-registered car which should be lower price than a new car so negotiate hard for further discount.

Peugeot 308 SW - Brand new 308 dilemma -Garage pre registered the c - Big John

You now have the V5 - is it now taxed and insured? Just making sure you don't get an unwelcome fine in the post from DVLA?

You now have the V5 - is it now taxed and insured? Just making sure you don't get an unwelcome fine in the post from DVLA?

It's taxed but I haven't insured it yet as still waiting for a date. I can't even be fully sure it's actually in the country! The garage says it is but who knows..

Peugeot 308 SW - Brand new 308 dilemma -Garage pre registered the c - Andrew-T

I don't want to walk away if I'm honest as it was a good deal... The date of registration was 31st July..

That is probably most of the reason your deal was a good one - you are paying for a 23 plate, not a 73 one. If you want a 73 car it may cost more - silly, but that's the way the market works.

I don't want to walk away if I'm honest as it was a good deal... The date of registration was 31st July..

That is probably most of the reason your deal was a good one - you are paying for a 23 plate, not a 73 one. If you want a 73 car it may cost more - silly, but that's the way the market works.

I get that but that was on the premise I got it well before September which I now haven't. Just feel that they've done a naughty trick registering it at a time when they couldn't supply it for well over a month meaning I lose out.....

Peugeot 308 SW - Brand new 308 dilemma -Garage pre registered the c - daveyjp

If its taxed it must have had insurance at some point so how is it insured at the moment?

With this much messing around it may be close to paying them a visit and refusing to leave until the truth is told.

Edited by daveyjp on 31/08/2023 at 17:56

Peugeot 308 SW - Brand new 308 dilemma -Garage pre registered the c - Adampr

Can you find an identical 308SW on a 23 plate for the same money or less? If so, walk away and buy that one.

Can you find an identical 308SW on a 23 plate for the same money or less? If so, walk away and buy that one.

That's my issue... I can't! (Well I can but the APR is way higher so the monthly payment works out more). I just feel the garage have benefited from doing what they've done I just can't decide how hard to push it with them.

Peugeot 308 SW - Brand new 308 dilemma -Garage pre registered the c - daveyK_UK
In my opinion, if you don’t get the keys by next Friday I would walk away and demand a full refund.

That is unless you got a seriously good deal making it cheaper than a pre reg option.

If you do walk away consider getting a new Vauxhall astra. It’s the same car but likely it will have bigger discounts.