What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - DieselMan1966

Evening all

I'm looking to change my current car, a Fabia to a small suv such as the Vitara from 2015 on or a late series 1 or early series 2 Tiguan. I only cover 12,000 miles at the most so diesel would be out for service, although I may consider looking at one as at the weekend I cover around 150 miles out and about with the dogs.

Auto is preferable as I have back and knee issues so I am looking for a higher seating position, any advice welcome

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - elekie&a/c doctor
People say the vitara has a low rent interior, but coming out of a Skoda , you’ll probably not notice it . It’s a functional no frills car . My wife runs one . The slightly raised stance makes entry and exit easy . Take a look at the 1.6 or 1.4 booster jet , SZT model , but Both Petrol engines. Tiguan is likely to be better kitted out , but possibly more money .
looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - Metropolis.
If you want perceived quality (slightly more premium feeling interior, etc) go VW. If you want actual quality (reliability, durability) go for the Suzuki.

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - japdriver

I own a manual 2020 booster jet 1.4 Vitara.

They drive very well, nippy, spacious ( for a relatively small SUV), comfortable and you don’t need to worry about a diesel! Mine does 50 mpg average on every fill over the 5 months I’ve owned it.
Infotainment will certainly be worse than a VW models, it’s slow to respond and not the best. But it does work ok, just not buttery smooth like a VW system (if that matters)!
I also find the steering to be overly light and lacking feel. Other than those two things it’s fab.

Go test drive one, they are surprisingly good and super reliable too. 1.6 petrol in the older model is pretty gutless unless you rev the spuds off of it. Turbo 1.4 is much torquier, quicker and fun to drive.

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - Metropolis.
To be honest, I have rented VWs before and each time the infotainment system froze, then rebooted mid-journey! Hopeless when you are trying to navigate.. the system looks nice when it is working though.
looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - SLO76
If it has to be an auto then I’d leave the VW with its complex and costly to repair twin clutch automated manual box. VAG’s DSG gearbox has a nasty reputation for failures and I wouldn’t recommend owning one outside of the original manufacturer warranty. The Vitara is a good option, but I’d personally favour a Mazda CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv petrol with their excellent and robust torque converter auto. These are good to drive, reliable, there’s no over-complex gearbox to fail prematurely and no timing belt to change every 5yrs plus no turbo and no complex diesel emissions control gubbins to cause grief. It’ll be older compared to a similarly priced Vitara but it’s a higher quality product.
looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - paul 1963

Another vote for the Vitara, ive got a 1.4t mild hybrid, yes some of the interior plastics, particularly the door cards area little low rent but thats about it tbh, controls are laid out nicely, its very comfortable and like all Suzukis its fun to drive.

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - catsdad

Yet another Vitara vote. However looking at Autotrader automatic Vitaras of that age are surprisingly expensive and the 1.4 seems not to be available until 2016 and then with Allgrip (4 wheel drive). This again adds to the expense. Prices are similar to manual Vitaras with 2WD from 2019-20. Later cars also include 1.4 in two wheel drive.

My other dog favourite is the Civic from 2012 onwards with Magic seals offering the option of the rear footwell for dogs with low access. An estate is available but the hatchback boot is large for a hatchback. I note you prefer a high seat but the door access in Civics is very good and it’s not especially low seating as i think it’s raised to cover the fuel tank. It might be worth a tryout.

Edited by catsdad on 12/08/2023 at 09:06

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - Ethan Edwards

I had a Vitara S with the 1 4t no mild hybrid. Superb car. Highly recommended.

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - mcb100
‘ but I’d personally favour a Mazda CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv’

Good car, the downside being that it sits on the Mazda2 platform, so a bit smaller. CX-30 is a better fit, size wise.
looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - John F

If we had a dog it could easily jump into our small SUV Peugeot 2008 with its no-lip low rear loading area, only around as high as my knee- cap. The pre-2020 ones can have the reliable EAT6 Aisin TC autobox. We've had one for nearly 4yrs and are still v pleased with it. It's a bit like driving a go-cart as you sit up and look over the small steering wheel at the dashboard.

Thanks for the replies, never considered th CX30 or the 2008, will have a look at those as well, do you have the same raised driving position with the 2008? I've owned a number of Peugeot's over the years and still have a soft spot for them

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - daveyK_UK
Vitara

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - badbusdriver

Between the Vitara and a Tiguan (especially as an auto), Vitara all day long!

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - John F

.... do you have the same raised driving position with the 2008? I've owned a number of Peugeot's over the years and still have a soft spot for them

Yes. Bit like driving a go-cart; you sit up and look over, not through, the small steering wheel. I too rate Peugeots, they were always considered a cut above their main competitor (Renault). I wonder if America is the only other country to still have so many mainstream makes known by their founders' surnames?

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - alan1302

.... do you have the same raised driving position with the 2008? I've owned a number of Peugeot's over the years and still have a soft spot for them

Yes. Bit like driving a go-cart; you sit up and look over, not through, the small steering wheel. I too rate Peugeots, they were always considered a cut above their main competitor (Renault). I wonder if America is the only other country to still have so many mainstream makes known by their founders' surnames?

Think there are 3 Japanese ones - Toyota/Suzuki and Honda.

Thanks for the replies so far, will have a look at the 2008 as well as the Vitara, are these similar to the SX4-S-Cross?

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - daveyjp

Left field option if you have a local dealer is a Subaru XV. In essence a jacked up Impreza.

looking to buy a small SUV, Vitara or Tiguan - bazza

SX4 scross mechanically very much the same, bodywise very slightly larger, with a slightly larger boot. Probably rides slightly lower but not much.