What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Auris - Toyota Auris automatic gearbox - gianni
We are looking to get a second hand toyota again and are thinking of either the Avensis or Auris with an automatic gearbox. I'd like the Avensis but not sure if it's too big a car for us (wife is not sure about parking it on our drive) so the Auris is smaller and more manageable.My question is, was there any particular the Auris had problems with its automatic gearbox or are they pretty much reliable regardless of year it made? Another question is , how do you tell if the battery in an Auris is at the end of its days? Any help much appreciated as we are weighing up the pros and cons of these two models of cars.
Toyota Auris - Toyota Auris automatic gearbox - badbusdriver

On the 1st gen Auris, the 'non hybrid' auto used an automated manual (I think it was called Multimode or MM), these are the ones to avoid. The hybrid version used a CVT, which is fine.

And all auto versions of the 2nd gen (circa 2013 onwards) Auris use CVT, which are also fine.

As for the battery, if you are talking about a hybrid battery (as opposed to the one used to start the car), a Toyota dealer would be able to check its health. Though in worst case scenario, they are not that expensive to replace because they are not that big. The battery for starting the car?, any auto electrician and most garages would be able to check that.

Toyota Auris - Toyota Auris automatic gearbox - Lee Power

Look up Auris catalytic convertor theft before buying one.

Toyota Auris - Toyota Auris automatic gearbox - JonestHon

The Mk3 Avensis auto are CVT under the moniker MultiDrive.

The Mk2 I believe were TC.

Auris mk1 were atomated manual called MMT or MultiMode and were made of cheese. Later models were CVT.

Toyota Auris - Toyota Auris automatic gearbox - SLO76
What’s your budget?
Toyota Auris - Toyota Auris automatic gearbox - gianni

Apologies for the late reply, been away. My budget would be anything up to 5K I guess but would stretch to a little more. Thanks to all of you that have given info its much appreciated.

Apologies for the late reply, been away. My budget would be anything up to 5K I guess but would stretch to a little more. Thanks to all of you that have given info its much appreciated.

That sadly rules out the Auris then. £5k at todays insane prices isn’t enough to get a decent Mk I Auris Hybrid and you really don’t want anything with an automated manual box like the MMT available in this generation of Auris. Even the mighty Toyota and Honda couldn’t get the things to work right. The Mk II Auris is available with a much more robust CVT auto, but these really start at £7,500 with sensible miles up, so unless there’s more money down the back of the sofa I’d leave the Auris. The Avensis is a tough car whichever generation you pick, as long as you avoid the 2.2 Diesels. I wouldn’t recommend any diesels at this money anyway. I own a MK III Avensis estate which has been an excellent big family workhorse. The CVT gearbox is tough if looked after and any fluid changes adhered to and the simple chain driven 1800 petrol motor is bulletproof. I spotted this one, but it’s mad that this 09 plate saloon is up for more than I paid for my 60 plate Estate with similar miles almost 5yrs ago. It was a right old bargain. www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305117264867 You need to cast the net wider if you’re on such a tight budget, especially if you’re looking for much less common automatic options. Id look at the following as well as the Avensis. Ford Focus Mk II 1.6/2.0 auto - Look for rust underneath and DO NOT TOUCH the later Powershift Mk III. Honda Accord 2.0/2.4 petrol auto - Look underneath for rot but otherwise very long lived. Parts are costly though as Honda are flagrantly profiteering from their UK customers. Quoted me £300 for a small rear brake light recently on an HRV! Mazda 3 petrol auto - Great cars these. Good to drive and very reliable. Again rust is the issue so get under it. Mazda 6 petrol auto - As above but bigger. Not much worse on fuel though surprisingly. Sorry about the lack of paragraphs, I did split this lot of ramblings up but this happens when you quote the previous post.

Edited by SLO76 on 31/05/2023 at 23:42

Toyota Auris - Toyota Auris automatic gearbox - Heidfirst

. The Avensis is a tough car whichever generation you pick, as long as you avoid the 2.2 Diesels. I wouldn’t recommend any diesels at this money anyway.

The 2.2s (especially 2009>) are fine (by comparison with other mainstream diesels) if run properly. I ran 2 over 9 years with no issues. You could potentially get 1 still under manufacturer's warranty for another 1-2 years (the 2015 Avensis refresh switched to BMW derived diesels) with Toyota's 10 year/100,000 mile warranty subject to dealer servicing but possibly not within your budget.

The problems come (& this is true of all modern, emission-equipped common rail turbodiesels) if they have only been used for short journeys where they never achieve normal operating temp (the AD series engines typically take over 5 miles to do so, especially in winter), run on poor quality fuel, not been serviced properly etc.etc.

Tbh I wouldn't run any modern diesel out of warranty (let alone for sub 5K) as the costs when they do go wrong are high & especially when you don't know the background history of the car.

The 2.2 auto won't be very economical either, typically average 36-38mpg.

Edited by Heidfirst on 01/06/2023 at 11:47

Toyota Auris - Toyota Auris automatic gearbox - gordonbennet
Indeed, as above the very last gearbox i would want in a car is an automated manual.

Volvo and Scania make their own versions for use in their respective heavy trucks, and ZF make another which is used in several other makes, whilst in use they arn't brilliant with Volvo being the pick of the bunch they have one thing in common, all are very very reliable and durable over huge distances.
I'm not sure if Toyota's industrial arm, Hino trucks, make their own automated manual box or even if such an option is available but as said above if Toyota can't get these things to work right long term in cars no one can.
Cost, size and weight are lesser considerations with trucks and buses. Most I’ve driven are single clutch automated manuals, which are in said heavy vehicles generally very robust. The ponderous gear change wouldn’t be acceptable to most car owners however, as manufacturers such as Citroen and Peugeot showed with their horrid but not particularly fragile single clutch automated manual transmissions. I recently drove a 2007 Citroen Grand Picasso with one of these boxes, the potential buyer (a work colleague) thought there was something wrong with it, but no they’re just like that, they were from new. He couldn’t live with it (and I suggested something else anyway) and is still looking.