What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tyres VS kerbs - badbusdriver

Looking for ideas on how to lesson the chances of tyre damage if bumping up on to and (to a lessor degree) off of the kerb (which is about 4")?

This is because it is highly unlikely that I am going to be able to get a car as narrow or narrower than our Motability Suzuki Ignis when it gets replaced, within the next few months (depending on availability and delivery times). Our street is narrow with cars parked both sides and there really isn't the room.

Ideally, money no object, I'd get the kerb dropped but I'm guessing that wouldn't be cheap.

Plenty of ramp type things for folk going onto a drive at right angles to the kerb, but I'm not convinced they'd be much use to me as I'd be parking in line with the road and have just the width of a tyre (maybe a little more) on the kerb. Been thinking along the lines of a couple of bits of wood or metal box section maybe half the kerb heigh a foot or two long, one at either end of where I park the car. But would I be able to secure them so someone couldn't just pick them up and take them away?.

I may be being overcautious re the likelihood of damage if I am driving, as I'd come to a stop with the tyre against the kerb then ease gently up on to it. But my wife, who gave up her license for medical reasons, is thinking of appealing to get back behind the wheel and she is a bit more ham fisted in her driving!. So I could well see her knackering an expensive tyre by hitting the kerb too hard.

Any thoughts on what might work?

Tyres VS kerbs - _

I had this a couple of years back.

Go to a fencing supplier and get a lengh od the triangular cross pieces, usually 6 foot long and cut in half. should fit nicely in the boot.

Edited by _ORB_ on 10/04/2023 at 12:13

Tyres VS kerbs - Chris M

"triangular cross pieces" = Arris rail.

Leaving something in the gutter may make you liable is someone trips over it but if you erect a sign along the lines of "Mind me Arris", you may be okay.

:)

Tyres VS kerbs - Terry W

I suspect most damage is caused to low profile tyres with the wheel rim also vulnerable.

I would go for higher profile ratio which will allow for more tyre deformation when mounting the kerb without damaging alloy.

Putting things in a public road is probably not sensible - aside from the theft risk, you would be liable for any consequential trips, accidents, incidental damage.

Tyres VS kerbs - _

After use put in Boot..

I would go for higher profile ratio which will allow for more tyre deformation when mounting the kerb without damaging alloy.

You are right of course in that something with a taller profile tyre would be preferable. Not that easy in practice though. An auto will generally means a higher trim level, which in turn generally means larger diameter wheels on lower profile tyres. I had quite liked the look of the Fiesta Active which has a higher ride height and crossover styling cues, then I learned that it uses 205/45 x 17 tyres!

The Ignis runs on 175/65 x 15's (plus it only weighs about 850kg) and my Caddy van uses 195/65 x 15's.

Quite liking the idea of the triangle section post though!

Tyres VS kerbs - gordonbennet

Triangle section wood works well, i'd use a long single section which you can place in your garden when not in use, maybe give it a few coats of creosote to help it last and less attractive for the opportunist thief and thread a couple of loops of rope through it to make handling it easier and cleaner.

XL or van rated tyres would help, i too don't like profiles lower than 55, your Caddy tyre size was at one time found the standard for Volvo 900 series Ford's Scorpio Rover's 827/Sterling and Merc's high spec W124's, why do modern cars have to be on ridiculous strips of easily damaged rubber wrapped around increasingly bling ludicrous looking oversized wheels.

Tyres VS kerbs - Andrew-T

Another possible candidate, heavier than wood but more durable, might be short pieces of concrete edging used to separate flowerbeds from tarmac areas. They are a couple of inches thick, so half the height of your kerbs, and have a rounded edge to drive up ?

Tyres VS kerbs - Engineer Andy

Rather a quandry, given leaving triangular bits of wood etc can easily be stolen, or used as missles by 'yoofs'.

Rather a pain in the backside to have to take them with you each time and put them back as you arrive home, especially if the weather's bad or at night, and of course having to judge the separation distance, although I suppose you *could* (not advocating defacing public property) 'mark' the kerb for where the items need to go.

Some locals just ignore any laws etc and just make their own (permanent) concrete ramp, and again I'm certainly not advocating you do that. Admitedly most if not all appear to get away with it.

Smaller wheels and higher sidewall tyres might be an option, but less and less cars can take them these days because of the increase brake sizes, plus fitting both new alloys (not so bad if they are steel rims) and tyres (especially if the compatible higher sidewall ones aren't a common size) can be quite expensive, and only reasonably offset by selling the old sets if they are desirable - I suspect unlikely in this case.

If your wife doesn't want to do that much driving aside from local stuff, it might be worth buying an older small supermini or 'city car' which may have higher sidewall tyres fitted as standard, and just run the car into the ground and reapeat as necessary, rather than looking for a newish narrow, small car that would currently cost quite a bit to buy.

Maybe something like a 1st or 2nd gen base spec Yaris which structurally and mechanically is still sound, though not sure whether either are as narrow as your Ignis, which (presumably its the latest version) is a narrow car indeed. Perhaps even a base spec Celerio might be worth a look.

Annoyingly, many new cars, including city/micro cars don't come shod on smaller wheels / higher profile tyres these days, not even an option.

Tyres VS kerbs - Adampr

If you end up going the used route, maybe a Daihatsu Terios?? They're pretty skinny and must have a bit more tyre than most.

If your wife doesn't want to do that much driving aside from local stuff, it might be worth buying an older small supermini or 'city car' which may have higher sidewall tyres fitted as standard, and just run the car into the ground and reapeat as necessary, rather than looking for a newish narrow, small car that would currently cost quite a bit to buy.

Maybe something like a 1st or 2nd gen base spec Yaris which structurally and mechanically is still sound, though not sure whether either are as narrow as your Ignis, which (presumably its the latest version) is a narrow car indeed. Perhaps even a base spec Celerio might be worth a look.

I have looked long and hard at used options, and while I'd still go that way myself, the Motability benefit is my wife's so ultimately her decision. Also, the need for an auto means something which would have a ridiculous asking price. It would also mean getting a loan, and while not against that, I'm finding myself thinking that if I'm to get a loan, there are other things that need doing in the house which should be prioritised above having "our own" car. I've always had a soft spot for the Celerio (and it is around 10cm narrower than the Ignis), but not as an auto. These use the same AGS box which lets down the Ignis, plus they are a lot dearer than the manuals.

If you end up going the used route, maybe a Daihatsu Terios?? They're pretty skinny and must have a bit more tyre than most.

The Terios, yes, very much my cup of tea, particularly the first gen. And I did happen to find an absolute gem of an example on Autotrader a couple of months ago. Looked immaculate, one owner, automatic, full history, no MOT advisories(!), £3250. Showed it to my wife, but she was none too keen at the idea of a near 20 year old car (despite my insisting that there was less chance of it breaking down than most new cars)!. Needless to say it was gone within a couple of days.

Tyres VS kerbs - Metropolis.
I googled kerb helper and a few interesting options come up, maybe you could get away with these?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164882831768?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&m...Y

Or m-uk.vevor.com/cable-ramp-c_10747/car-driveway-cur...E

I have looked long and hard at used options, and while I'd still go that way myself, the Motability benefit is my wife's so ultimately her decision. Also, the need for an auto means something which would have a ridiculous asking price. It would also mean getting a loan, and while not against that, I'm finding myself thinking that if I'm to get a loan, there are other things that need doing in the house which should be prioritised above having "our own" car. I've always had a soft spot for the Celerio (and it is around 10cm narrower than the Ignis), but not as an auto. These use the same AGS box which lets down the Ignis, plus they are a lot dearer than the manuals.

The Terios, yes, very much my cup of tea, particularly the first gen. And I did happen to find an absolute gem of an example on Autotrader a couple of months ago. Looked immaculate, one owner, automatic, full history, no MOT advisories(!), £3250. Showed it to my wife, but she was none too keen at the idea of a near 20 year old car (despite my insisting that there was less chance of it breaking down than most new cars)!. Needless to say it was gone within a couple of days.

I think that you'll going to find it difficult to fullfill your wife's requirements, given the lack of decent choices amongst newer cars and the constraints on the width and tyre proportions you're looking for.

One of the other problems I've noticed is how many supermini cars have low front-end overhangs, never mind the larger wheels and low-er profile tyres are standard.

As you say, it's why those cars produced from the early 2000s to the ealry 2010s were ideal, having practicality and not being laden with loads of gizmos that both bump up the price and increase the risk of expensive component failures.

Might be worth you and SWMBO having a peruse through the Reviews section, perhaps the 'Car Chooser' one as well, which may help, assuming some of the 'older' cars can still be found via that route.

Best of luck. My dad just bought a new (high spec) Fiest to replace his 2008 base model one, and he already is experiencing 'buyer's remorse', probably because he bought too high a spec for way too much and with a minimal amount of homework and test drive. Hopefully you'll be more fortunate than him.

Tyres VS kerbs - expat
Some locals just ignore any laws etc and just make their own (permanent) concrete ramp, and again I'm certainly not advocating you do that. Admitedly most if not all appear to get away with it.

Apart from the legality of making your own concrete ramp there would be the problem that it would block rainwater flowing down the gutter. That could be a problem in heavy rain.

Tyres VS kerbs - Andrew-T
Apart from the legality of making your own concrete ramp there would be the problem that it would block rainwater flowing down the gutter. That could be a problem in heavy rain.

Maybe that was why a triangular tube section was suggested earlier ?

Tyres VS kerbs - Metropolis.
Sorry, I see you spoke about those in your original post!
Tyres VS kerbs - bazza

I made concrete ramps which are removable, nobody seems to mind, not even the council sweeper thing when it comes round. But I live on an estate not a road. They don't stop water flow at all. Car wise, how about a Sandero stepway, Duster, or a Vitara? They are not very big. What about another Ignis actually?

Tyres VS kerbs - John F

Whatever is done, I would ensure the tyres are kept at or just above the recommended pressure.

This basic requirement is essential for those with low profile tyres who encounter potholes to minimise the risk of expensive wheel damage. You can appreciate the minimal resistance and protection offered by low pressure by squeezing a bicycle tyre inflated to a mere 30 - 35psi, a pressure range normal for many if not most cars.

Tyres VS kerbs - paul 1963

How about a fiat E500 as a next car? I believe motobility currently have some good deals on them.

I made concrete ramps which are removable, nobody seems to mind, not even the council sweeper thing when it comes round. But I live on an estate not a road. They don't stop water flow at all. Car wise, how about a Sandero stepway, Duster, or a Vitara? They are not very big. What about another Ignis actually?

The list of cars available through Motability changes per quarter, some cars remain on it, others vanish without a trace!. Up until I had resigned myself to mounting the kerb, I had discounted the Sandero Stepway, Duster and indeed Vitara because I was looking for something no wider than our Ignis (or the Jazz which preceded it, both just under 1.7m), but since then, yes. Problem is the Sandero Stepway is not currently available as an auto through Motability (it was last quarter, with a £300 advance payment). The Duster is available, but with a £3800 advance payment(!), and a Vitara is also available, with an £800 advance payment, but it has the same type of auto (the dim witted and ham fisted AGS) as our Ignis. I'd have a current Ignis auto (which uses a CVT these days) in a shot, but it hasn't appeared on the Motability list these last four quarters (ditto the Swift).

How about a fiat E500 as a next car? I believe motobility currently have some good deals on them.

That may have been the case during the last quarter, no E500's this one (not according to the Motability website anyway?). But it isn't big enough in terms of rear space anyway. The Renault Zoe is though, and is currently available with no advance payment. That is giving me pause for thought and making me think about how feasible it would be to run an electric car without my own off street parking. Ignoring that particular stumbling block, it is just about ideal otherwise being tall (better for my wife, and my father, to get in and out), 5 doors, enough space for 4 adults, decent sized boot and although wider than the Ignis, is relatively slim hipped compared to most. Tyres are 195/55 x 15, not as tall as I'd like but not too bad, and the WLTP range is 238 miles. Haven't checked, but I doubt we've done much more than 10k miles in the Ignis since we got it about the beginning of June 3 years ago, so I'm fairly confident I could manage with the Zoe's range.

Tyres VS kerbs - paul 1963

Shame about the E500, it was on offer last quarter, my wife is disabled so I do take a interest in such things, Zoe would be a good shout, a couple of folk round my way have EV's with no home charging facilities, they charge at the local supermarket when they do there shop.

Sadly, as yet no EV charging at the local supermarkets. But there are some near a B&Q and McDonalds on the outskirts of town!. Also, one of the few places I go is to my parents and there are charging points in the car park just round the corner from them.

So we'll see, but ATM the Zoe is looking like quite a strong contender.

Tyres are 195/55 x 15, not as tall as I'd like but not too bad,

Anything over 100mm high these days is actually quite 'high' for newer cars with rims under 17in. My dad's 'new (2020) Fiesta has 195/55 R16 tyres (better than the 195/50 R15 on the previous car) but still well below the sidewall height of my Mazda3s 195/65 R15. I can feel the difference over larger bumps and on really poor surfaces, especially with my car being 17yo.

My old Micra had 175/60 R13 tyres, so 105mm high sidewalls, so just as shade under those 195/55 R15s the Zoe has, and about the same height as my dad's first (mid 90s) Fiesta, sod on 155/70 R13s, which was a lovely car on handling and ride, despite the 'skinny' tyres.

Best also to check to see what the front end overhang is like as well - including how low the bumper goes, so you don't get beached and/or ruin it every time you 'bump' up the kerb to get into your space / driveway if you can't find a 'ramp' type solution.

Tyres VS kerbs - Ana William

There are a few options that you could consider to lessen the chances of tyre damage when bumping up onto and off of the kerb:

1. Install rubber kerb ramps: Rubber kerb ramps are designed to protect tyres from damage when driving up or down kerbs. They are available in different sizes and can be secured in place using bolts or adhesive. They are also lightweight and easy to move if needed.

2. Use wooden blocks: You could use wooden blocks that are the same height as the kerb to act as a cushion for the tyres. You could make them yourself or purchase them from a hardware store. To prevent them from being moved, you could use brackets or screws to secure them to the ground.

3. Install a kerb protector: A kerb protector is a metal strip that is installed along the kerb to protect tyres from damage. They are designed to withstand impact and can be bolted or welded to the kerb.

Shame about the E500, it was on offer last quarter, my wife is disabled so I do take a interest in such things, Zoe would be a good shout, a couple of folk round my way have EV's with no home charging facilities, they charge at the local supermarket when they do there shop.

Just to update Paul, was speaking rubbish (not for the first time, nor the last!, there are in fact two E500 available through Motability this quarter. I didn't notice until I searched for electric cars only, because the picture used is the older non electric version and the label just said 500. You can get the base 24kWh version for a £599 advance payment or the 42kWh Sport with a £1395 advance payment. As I said though, too small for us.

My wife got the forms from Motability telling her she can place an order today, so I'll have to start looking now in earnest!.