What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Not fussy - Sub £2.5k Car for 12 months - MM_999

I have a car on PCP which is going back to the dealer very soon and as it has equity of around £2k I'm looking to get a used car for around £2.5k.

I am not fussy about make or model and the only requirement I have is that is has a center arm rest (a shoulder issue means not having one makes driving no fun at all...) and an estate/hatch would be preferable to allow a doggo to come for a drive.

Ideally, looking at fiesta/polo size upwards and not a silly costs for VED.

I'm countryside/market town based so there is little to no city driving and mostly its the school run (8 miles on country roads), 2 mile trips to the shop every couple of days and the occasional (a couple of times a month) drive of 30+ miles on the motorway.

There seems to be loads of 'best car for under £x' web pages and not many overlap with what they recommend so hopefully someone can help with what I should look for.

TIA!!

Not fussy - Sub £2.5k Car for 12 months - badbusdriver

Ford Fiesta or Focus with petrol engine (except the 1.0 Ecoboost) and manual gearbox.

Toyota Yaris or Auris with petrol engine and manual or CVT auto (not the automated manual used for a few years)

Honda Jazz or Civic with petrol engine and manual or, in the case of the Jazz, CVT auto and in the case of the Civic, t/c auto (not the automated manuals used for a few years)

Mazda 2 or 3 with petrol engine and either manual or auto gearbox.

But with such a small budget, best to just keep it as simple as possible, n/a petrol engine with manual box and buy on condition. Any car can be a dog at this price, look at the MOT history to get an indication of whether the car has been looked after, along with warning signs of impending rust related doom.

Edited by badbusdriver on 19/06/2022 at 10:22

Not fussy - Sub £2.5k Car for 12 months - Adampr

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here, but what do you mean by having equity in the PCP? As far as I know, equity only exists in a PCP if you buy another car from the same dealer. If you're handing it back, they keep any profit.

You would need to pay the balloon payment, then sell it privately I think.

Edited by Adampr on 19/06/2022 at 11:41

Not fussy - Sub £2.5k Car for 12 months - SLO76
We could recommend loads of different cars, but it all depends on what’s actually for sale nearby. Tell us roughly where you are and I’ll have a look for worthy examples wishing sensible range.