What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - SLO76
Question asked…

“When should I change timing belt/chain?
Is there a recommended point for changing the timing chain on the Skoda Fabia 1.2 petrol engine 2013 or should it last for life?”

Answer given…

“ The 1.2 petrol engine in your Skoda Fabia uses a timing belt and not a chain. I would suggest changing this every five years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first). The belt, tensioner and pulley all need to be replaced. But you do not need to change the water pump, due to it being located at the opposite end of the block to the cam belt.”

The old 3cyl CHAIN DRIVEN petrol motor was still available up until this model year. Without even asking if this is said 3cyl motor and not a later belt driven 4cyl TSI this advice was given which could result in some poor soul having their trousers taken down by an unscrupulous garage. More informed staff are desperately required on this website.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/01/2022 at 23:43

More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - Big John

In addition at 2013 a Fabia 1.2tsi 4 cylinder turbo direct injection was also still fitted with the EA111 cam chain engine, The fabulous EA211 1,2tsi engine was introduced in the 2015 change of model.

As of 2013 I don't think there was a Fabia 1.2 petrol with a cam belt.

Edited by Big John on 28/01/2022 at 00:14

More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - Xileno

If people notice any content errors or omissions then please report them to the site editor who hopefully will get them resolved:

editor@honestjohn.co.uk

More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - John F

Can anyone explain the scientific justification for a life expectancy of only five years? Have the VW group stopped using modern materials and reverted to leather?

More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - UCB

Can anyone explain the scientific justification for a life expectancy of only five years? Have the VW group stopped using modern materials and reverted to leather?

When I purchased my used Skoda Octavia 1.4 tsi I enquired when the timing belt needed replaced and was told by the head technician that it was a lifetime belt only requiring replacement if used in “dust rich countries” Skoda UK recommend it is replaced at 5 year old. Other main dealerships contacted gave mixed messages so confusion reigns!
More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - Brit_in_Germany

For the 1.4 Fabia it was inspection at 90,000 km then inspect again every 30,000.

More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - catsdad

For those VWs with belts, the recommended change interval for mechanically identical engines and belts varies across geographical markets. As far as I know (surprise, surprise) U.K. is the shortest. On my 2018 Golf it’s due at 5 years (cars built after 2009, earlier cars it’s 4 years). I assume Skoda are the same for this engine.

Edited by catsdad on 28/01/2022 at 19:55

For the 1.4 Fabia it was inspection at 90,000 km then inspect again every 30,000.

The 1.416v MPI engine which I think is fitted to the 1.4 Fabia (ignoring the pushrod 1.4 8v version) is the very engine that caused VAG to revise down the change intervals of older engines down to 40kmiles/4 years. This engine had plastic pulleys that started failing early - I should know as I had this engine in my old Octavia that had this issue about 50k+miles (approx as memory fails me!), fortunately sorted under warranty. By some miracle the belt didn't come off but there were some interesting noises coming from the cam belt cover - needless to say the car was recovered to the main dealer.

Edited by Big John on 28/01/2022 at 20:12

More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - Bromptonaut

My 2016 1.2 Fabia has a belt. At its last service a belt change was recommended even though mileage is only around 36k. Consensus in VAG forums is that there's an abundance of caution there.

Unlike my previous Skoda, a diesel Roomster, the water pump is not at the cam belt end of the engine.

If people notice any content errors or omissions then please report them to the site editor who hopefully will get them resolved:

editor@honestjohn.co.uk

Done - I think?

More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - SLO76
I think the forum regulars generally give better advice than the paid website staff do these days. Bring back Honest John.
More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - sammy1

I always go first to the FAQ and am disappointed only with the fact that there is little activity there. At least they got the LFB question right not very long ago and advise to leave that to the experts especially when driving an auto. HJ wore the record out with his theory or practice and wound up a few!

More concern at “advice” given on Ask HJ - Engineer Andy
I think the forum regulars generally give better advice than the paid website staff do these days. Bring back Honest John.

I've noticed the same on the Telegraph's 'new' ask the expert page too.