What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Which SUV to buy? - Robert Lawson
Hi all,
So I narrowed my choice to four SUV’s and have test driven them over the last few days.
Audi Q5, BMW X3, Volvo XC60 and Subaru Forester as my left field choice (I owned one back in 2012 and really liked it)
Out of the ‘premium’ ones the Audi Q5 would be my choice. So now I’m stuck between Audi Q5 and Subaru Forester - I like both of them!Forester comes with 150hp petrol engine whilst if going for Audi would get the 40TDI.
So I can get a brand new Forester top of the range for £37,000 or a bit less. For an Audi Q5 with the spec I want 21/71 plate and under 5000/10,000 miles I’m looking at £43-45,000
Having trouble deciding = help!!!
Which SUV to buy? - daveyjp

If you are happy with a pre reg Audi why pay 6k VAT on a brand new Forester when pre reg low mileage ones can be had for new price less VAT, i.e. around £30,000?

A new one will only have a 3 year warranty, a 2019/2020 model should still have 5 year cover.
You may also find a brand new Forester is more than 12 months old anyway as they don't import many, but you won't know this until you take delivery and check a few items for production dates.

Big downside for me with the new Forester is no spare and no option to have one due to the hybrid battery.

Edited by daveyjp on 30/12/2021 at 22:35

Which SUV to buy? - Halmerend
I had a 2018 40 tdi Q5 and traded it in recently for a 2021 45 tfsi petrol. The latter is quicker and a bit quieter but I have to say that I think the diesel suits the car and the gearbox better. 45 mpg from the diesel and 30 mpg from the petrol which is a big difference. Both lovely refined cars in my experience. Air con condensing unit failed on the diesel at 16,000 which was disappointing but ok other than that.