What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 1 Series - Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport - Yakuzah
Hi everyone. Looking for some technical advice for a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport 225/40/18Y for a F40 M135i xdrive.

i want to replace the Bridgestones on the car.

however there appears to be two different types of Goodyear supersport.

One specification is XL and the other is not?

Can I use the XL tyre on my car please? Most tyre pricing seems to suggest the XL tyre.

I wanted to understand the differences please, and if either tyre can be used.

Thanks
G
BMW 1 Series - Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport - RT

XL tyres have a tougher construction for higher load - they'll resist punctures better but will give a harsher ride - don't fit XLs unless they were part of the OE specification.

BMW 1 Series - Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport - badbusdriver

Looking up that particular tyre on Ebay, there are two weight ratings available, 88 and 92(XL). The 88 is rated at 560kg and the 92 is 630kg.

The Ebay results show the lower weight rated tyres are available (from £100, but obviously you'd have to find a garage to fit them). On such a high performance car I'd be reluctant to deviate from the tyre spec that the car came with. But possibly a BMW forum would be worth asking on regarding exactly how the XL tyre would affect the ride and handling compared to the lower weight tyre?.

BMW 1 Series - Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport - catsdad

Many tyres are XL these days. The manual on our 1.6 2012 Mazda 3 doesn’t specify XL but they come up with XL on tyre sites so that is what I had fitted. Goodyear as it happens. The ride is fine.

Also many backroomers fit Michelin Crossclimates and, as far as I know, they are all XL. Since HJ himself moved on there is less coverage of these on the site but I don’t recall ride and handling on them as XLs being an issue.

However as bbd says it might be worth checking with a BMW forum on any handling issue.