What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
SEAT Leon ST - Dealer forgot to register the car in my name - Steviepate

Hi all, I bought my car in February 2020 from a reputable dealer in the North East. Upon purchasing the vehicle it came with 6 months tax.

Fast forward 18 months and rather embarrassing I've discovered the vehicle has been untaxed for a year. Furthermore I've discovered via the DVLA that the last v5c issued was when the car was registered in 2016, hence why I've not received any tax reminders in the post. For whatever reason I've at some point genuinely thought I set up a direct debit, clearly not.

Contacted the garage today who state they are going to deal with this matter promptly.

My questions are does anyone know what may happen in regards to the dvla. Who is liable the garage or myself?

Has this ever happened to anyone else? If so what was the outcome

SEAT Leon ST - Dealer forgot to register the car in my name - Andrew-T

As you can no longer 'inherit' tax with a vehicle, it can only come with tax if the seller has bought it for you. Ownership should have been transferred to you, with your name on a V5 as Registered Keeper, so you should have been asked to renew the tax 6 months after buying.

It seems that did not happen, but it's strange that no camera has spotted your car being driven untaxed ?

SEAT Leon ST - Dealer forgot to register the car in my name - Steviepate

Yeah my thoughts exactly, but as the car wasn't registered in my name the DVLA wouldn't know where to send the fine.

The dealer did put 6 months tax on the car for me when I purchased it, I do remember they had a problem taxing it due to it being an ex motor bility car

Edited by Steviepate on 29/07/2021 at 19:07