What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - Oli rag

Bought this car a couple of months ago to replace a 14 year old astra which had a few issues, although it has been good during the 8 years I'd had it.

The new car is a 2018 pre face lift 1.2 se. It cost me £8100 and is a one owner used approved with 25000 miles.

Well equipped, smooth ride, especially after leaving town and very comfortable seats. I also like the smooth 4 cylinder engine which is inaudible at idle.

Dislikes

First gear is a bit short and I find myself having to very quickly change up having just pulled away. There's a little bit of tyre noise, but only around town at low speeds. Clutch judder! I always knew it was a possibility having read ex fiestaowners review of his former car amongst others, however I suspectine is condensation on the plate first thing from cold, but I'll keep an eye on it.

It's very pleasant to drive, far better than I thought it would be and that's just aswell as I bought it during the no test drive period so couldn't compare to other models I was considering. The computer says that it's doing 46mpg average over the thousand mainly short journey miles I've done.

My work is only around a 10 mile round trip and I cycle it a couple of times a week if the weather's okay, so I reckon it's doing probably a genuine 42mpg which is not bad for such a short run.

I'll only really know if this is a car i would recommend, if in a few years it has been reliable, so it's early days, but so far so good.

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - SLO76
These rarely go wrong, you’d be unlucky if it did. Simple, straightforward petrol supermini with little to go wrong mechanically.
Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - daveyjp

A neighbour's 11 year old i10 is evidence Hyundais can take abuse.

She drives it, thats it. Never seen the bonnet up, had brakes replaces after she asked me why it was making a noise, they were almost to metal.

She uses it for work and shopping, but a few weeks ago took it on a 500 mile round trip. After the trip it smelled a but 'funny'. Bonnet up, no oil on dipstick! Same issue that killed her previous Citroen C3!

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - Falkirk Bairn

Short dipsticks are quite common these days.

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - Engineer Andy

The sort of car I'd likely buy if I needed something reasonably priced with a long warranty (I'd probably get the Rio due to the extra 2yrs warranty over the longer mileage if I had a choice) and decent reliability.

I must admit I was impressed with the seat comfort.driving position of its sister car, the i30 (same version, i.e. the previous one) back in 2017 when I was looking for a replacement for my Mazda3 (in the end I didn't get anything, due to other factors than the cars).

The tyre noise may likely be just the choice of tyre, either by Hyundai (if the OEMs are still fitted) or their repalcements. Getting a better set of tyres to replace my car's OEM tyres made a huge difference across the board.

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - FiestaOwner

Hi Oli Rag

Mine was a 2018 SE 1.2 (pre face lift) in white. It was pre reg, the dealers had loads of pre reg white ones at the time (to make room for the facelift model).

The clutch was a nightmare in mine.

I liked everything else about the car. Excellent equipment levels (which included cruise control). Very comfy car to drive. Good seats. Performance is what you would expect. Fuel economy is good.

Looking under the car it looked to have decent rust protection. Had seen Hyundai's criticised for lack of rust protection, in the past.

Would be interested to here how you get on with it in the longer term.

“ Looking under the car it looked to have decent rust protection. Had seen Hyundai's criticised for lack of rust protection, in the past.”

Be nice to believe they’ve finally attended to this as it was really the main killer of Hyundai’s and Kia’s. Rot sets in underneath especially in damp climates like Scotland and being on the coast only rubs the salt in… Often I’ve went to view them at 7/8yrs old plus only to find serious underbody rust that forces me to advise walking away.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/06/2021 at 16:07

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - daveyjp

Clutch in ours was also a nightmare, that among a number of other things is why we sold it after about 6 months. The only thing I remember about the car is it was grey, can't even remember the year, it was either an 11 or 12 reg!

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - Engineer Andy

Clutch in ours was also a nightmare, that among a number of other things is why we sold it after about 6 months. The only thing I remember about the car is it was grey, can't even remember the year, it was either an 11 or 12 reg!

I did hear about clutches (at least a few years ago [my report was from a work colleague from 2016 for an i30 estates diesel manual]) being on the weak side. Similarly with reports of premutaure rusting, but again, from cars that would now be around 10yo.

Hopefully they have resolved these issues - perhaps a perusal of the reviews, especially of newer cars, will tell the tale.

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - Xileno

Friend has a 2009 i20, basically from a few months old. Been a reliable workhorse, putting up with his bad driving (I wouldn't buy a car off him) plus three teenage daughters who have learned to drive in it. It gets serviced but is looking a bit dog-eared now but he's generally been happy with it. Likewise he had problems with the clutch and also one or two of the electric windows but I think this was all sorted under the warranty.

Edited by Xileno on 06/06/2021 at 17:28

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - Hy Sid

About a month ago we PXed our 2016 i20 1.2 SE. Had it for nearly 4 years, after it had been a hire car for the first 10 months.

Beyond routine servicing, tyres and wiper blades never needed to spend anything on it, and never needed to make use of the warranty. A thoroughly decent cheap run about (it lost comparatively little depreciation over 4 years). Never felt more than an 'appliance', but that's not really anything to complain about.

We also had the clutch judder - After a cold start, pulling away from standstill for the first 2-3 times always gave judder, but would settle down after that. Unless you were stuck in very heavy traffic where it could come back.

Whilst no sign of rust, the car was normally parked facing up a steep hill and would collect water in the doors - Drain holes seemed to be not quite where they should be for hill parking.

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - pd

Haven't seen any rusty Hyundai/Kias for a while. After the "new gen" models from about 2008 on came out seem to be a lot better.

Seen loads of all ages with dodgy clutches. I10, i20, i30 and i40. Often a bite point right on the floor with the smaller cars but also juddering ones and prematurely worn ones. Also seen a few failed gearboxes.

Usually decent cars otherwise and in most cases surprisingly positive to drive.

All of the crusty Hyundai’s and Kia’s I’ve looked at have been perfectly clean and solid on the bodywork, it’s underneath that rots. They can catch you out if you don’t get underneath it for a good look.

Having now had the car for 16 months I thought I’d do a quick update.

Clutch judder! Like “Fiesta owner”,mine also suffered with clutch judder which started a couple of months after I got it and gradually got worse. Sometimes it was violent and always intermittent, so I booked it in to the main dealer ( in Bletchley Milton Keynes) for it to be looked at, explaining about it being intermittent, but also that it would occur if they gave it a longish drive.

Unfortunately after having it for a day they said it couldn’t be reproduced, so I insisted they kept it and tried again, but was called again at the end of the second day to be told they still couldn’t find anything wrong with it. On collecting I got about a mile up the road and while stuck in traffic it started juddering!

I was thoroughly peed off with this by now and decided I would wait until it was so bad the fault couldn’t be denied. Another couple of months passed and I booked it in again with clear written instructions of how the ( now violent) judder could be reproduced. Thankfully this time the technician agreed and it was booked in and had the flywheel and clutch replaced as apparently there is a tech service bulletin about this well known problem!

So the car now drives fine and I still quite like it. As mentioned previously the seats are excellent and the car is a surprisingly good motorway cruiser, in fact much better than it is around town as I dislike the over firm suspension.

I have seriously considered selling as my whole ownership experience (of an otherwise good car) has been soured by the bad clutch and a particularly bad garage experience, but I’m not sure what I’d replace it with.

So that’s how it is at this time, and I will update if I’ve still got it, or if I get another problem it’ll be sold.

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - paul 1963

Thanks for the update, always interesting to hear people's real world experiences, glad you finally got the clutch issue sorted, wonder what causes the judder? My ( company) Berlingo van occasionally judders whereas my Vitara is fine.

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - daveyK_UK
Clutches still appear to be the reoccurring issue with Hyundais

Hyundai i20 1.2 se - Quick car review - galileo
Clutches still appear to be the reoccurring issue with Hyundais

First thing in a cold morning, doing a hill start at the top of our road there is sometimes a slight clutch judder, briefly 'slipping' for a second or two (a bit more revs and fraction more clutch pedal pressure) stops it and then engages smoothly. Otherwise no problems.

I've had over 30 cars (25 of them old bangers which were then all that I could afford ) so I have coped with much worse issues over the years

I think s lot of cars suffer from juddering on first start of the day, possibly from condensation sitting on the clutch/ flywheel overnight. This juddering however was nothing like only first start up and was so violent at times that it made me worry about the exhaust breaking or an engine mount failing.