What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Daytime Running Lights - tourantass

I have just been followed by a new Peugeot 2008, and found the 8 strips of DRL in my rear view mirror absolutely ridiculous, talk about distracting..it really was the equivalent of someone driving with their main beam on behind you, I ended up dipping my rear view mirror, this is at 9.00am....and how anyone is supposed to make out the indicator without burning your retina is beyond me, the sidelights didnt even dip when the indicator was used. I reckon these lights will create more accidents than they prevent. I understand the logic of DRL, but it appears to be a free for all now....who can have the brightest front end of a car....Rant over.

Daytime Running Lights - elekie&a/c doctor
Tend to agree with you . Most manufacturers are able to dim the drls when engaging the indicators . So wondering if it’s a programming issue with the car . I changed the settings on my friends A 5 , so that the leds dimmed on indicators. Interestingly , when Volvo introduced running lights in the mid 70s ,no one really complained about their brightness as the bulbs were regular filaments , and the indicators were clearly visible.
Daytime Running Lights - tourantass
Yeh my father in laws Saab 99 was fine...ah well, it will go full circle when common sense eventually kicks in...I could have honestly lit the whole of my house with watt! was being displayed... maybe thats the way forward, we just plug the car into the house and run everything off it... lights, heating, air con....Sorted, all for less than the price of a windmill...
Daytime Running Lights - mcb100

If I've done the conversion correctly from candela to watts equivalent, the maximum output from an LED DRL is c24 watts.

Daytime Running Lights - Terry W

I've not switched my car lights on or off in the last year.

It puts driving lights on when I drive, headlights when the light sensor thinks it is dark enough.

Occasionally I am stressed by selecting main or dipped beam - but technology will no doubt rescue me in the future!

Daytime Running Lights - Andrew-T

We are advised to keep off the footbrake when stopped for any reason, so as not to annoy the driver behind. Meanwhile our car is annoying those in front without us being aware of it. Typical, somehow.

Daytime Running Lights - Bolt

It puts driving lights on when I drive, headlights when the light sensor thinks it is dark enough.

Occasionally I am stressed by selecting main or dipped beam - but technology will no doubt rescue me in the future!

I turned off auto main beam on the Civic as it appeared to be a tad slow to go back to dipped, which could annoy drivers coming opposite way, does me anyway....

If I've done the conversion correctly from candela to watts equivalent, the maximum output from an LED DRL is c24 watts.

Should be lumens output instead of watts as its deceiving, lumens gives better idea of light brightness than watts, as different colour leds give different brightness. and type of led used

unless driver controlled- electronic driver that is!

The legislation states a maximum of 1200 candela, across a specifies surface area -

' DRLs compliant with R87 emit white light on axis of between 400 and 1,200 candela with an apparent surface of 25 cm2 to 200 cm2 with an additional requirement of between 1 and 1,200 candela in a defined field.'

Daytime Running Lights - Engineer Andy

If that's correct, that's a LOT of light output. On the housing development where I live, we've started to switch over our street lights from 70W / 100W incandecsents to 18-20W LEDs. For headlights, that sounds fine, but for DRLs? Way over the top if you ask me.

Ignore it, as explained above it's not a straightforward equivalence.

Ignore it, as explained above it's not a straightforward equivalence.

IMO its a daft way to explain how bright an LED is, different leds give different amounts of light, complicated by the driver used to keep the Amps within led working tolerance, and the model of led used.

good example is led torches which really needs no explaining as it can be seen how different each torch can be -brightness wise- using the same battery but different models of led

I have about 12 torches using 18650 batteries, but no 2 are the same power output

You own 18,650 batteries? What are you lighting up - the Moon? :-)

You own 18,650 batteries? What are you lighting up - the Moon? :-)

LOL, they are a battery type 3.7 volt - MAH varies-, just a bit bigger than AA battery...but I could probably light up the Moon with one Torch I have ;)

I understand the logic of DRL, but it appears to be a free for all now....who can have the brightest front end of a car....

It's one of the few remaining areas where stylists are given free rein to come up with something different. It only needs to be different, not useful, an advance or even inoffensive.

Daytime Running Lights - Bromptonaut

It's one of the few remaining areas where stylists are given free rein to come up with something different. It only needs to be different, not useful, an advance or even inoffensive.

That. Exactly.

The problem is not DRL, it's styling given priority over safety and common sense. Front indicators (ie post semaphore) were single items, or possibly co-located with side lights on the corner of the body.

Sometime in the nineties or early noughties, before LED DRL, stylists incorporated indicators into the headlight where, often, they were too close to the bulb to be easily visible. The VW Polo and or Golf were early examples.

Daytime Running Lights - concrete

I agree that some vehicles styling goes way beyond sense or aesthetics and has become downright annoying. On a par with keeping the rear brake lights full on when stopped. Thoughtless in the extreme. My DRL's are low down and at the far extremes of the front bumper. Low and wide enough apart not to annoy anyone. There comes a point where there is enough light emitted to be noticed and not enough to blind other motorists. Surely it not beyond the wit of man to design a common system to satisfy this criteria. Remember before the time DRL's were fitted to motorbikes? Riders would cruise around on full beam, annoying the 'bejasus' out of everyone on the grounds of safety. I had this argument with several biker friends that to be seen, dipped headlights were more than adequate. I would run with dipped headlights not full beam, but plenty wouldn't listen and got into scrapes with angry motorists who were temporarily blinded my their full beam. A problem easily avoided. So common sense has always been in short supply.

Cheers Concrete

Or how about this, idea is to use, well see it for yourself here, not keen myself lol but imagine all cars like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJDZA1Dev4o&ab_channel=WonderWorld

That. Exactly.

The problem is not DRL, it's styling given priority over safety and common sense. Front indicators (ie post semaphore) were single items, or possibly co-located with side lights on the corner of the body.

Sometime in the nineties or early noughties, before LED DRL, stylists incorporated indicators into the headlight where, often, they were too close to the bulb to be easily visible. The VW Polo and or Golf were early examples.

I can remember paying £5 to replace one of my old Micra's lamps. Nowadays, you have to replace entire light clusters at a cost of hundreds of pounds and at the dealership, instead of less than 5 minutes by yourself.

They now seemingly lure us in with fancy styling and then fleece us because we have no alternative. Same goes for wheels and tyres (including spares, if fitted at all [though some still are ok, like your Skoda and a few others]), ICE and satnav systems.

Everything also has built-in obsolesence these days, and have to be junked because 'software' gets 'upgraded' meaning they can't work any more or don't run any useful programs.

If a car firm decided to build resonably priced cars that had long lasting components that could be easily/cheaply repaired/prelaced, whilst still making the cars safe and nice to look/drive, they'd be onto a winner, especially at the moment.

Daytime Running Lights - _
If a car firm decided to build resonably priced cars that had long lasting components that could be easily/cheaply repaired/prelaced, whilst still making the cars safe and nice to look/drive, they'd be onto a winner, especially at the moment.

It's called a Dacia sanderos 1.2 or a duster 1.6

Daytime Running Lights - misar

Those cars would probably be popular in the used car market but I doubt the manufacturers would gain much by way of extra new car sales.

It would be interesting if anyone has data on the average time before a new car purchase is sold on. I suspect that it is relatively short and the majority of new car buyers are content with having no significant repairs needed during their ownership unless covered by the original warranty.

<< It would be interesting if anyone has data on the average time before a new car purchase is sold on. >>

A large number are just handed back at the end of a standard PCP ?

Daytime Running Lights - expat
It would be interesting if anyone has data on the average time before a new car purchase is sold on. I suspect that it is relatively short and the majority of new car buyers are content with having no significant repairs needed during their ownership unless covered by the original warranty.

The dealers won't be making much out of me. Our family buy cars new or nearly new and keep them till they are no longer economic to repair. By keeping exactly to the service schedule cars last a long time. I had my last car 25 years and my current one was bought 15 years ago. We bought my wife's car 12 years ago.

Daytime Running Lights - edlithgow

I think you may be underestimating The Punter Is A Prat factor....A LOT

I think you may be underestimating The Punter Is A Prat factor....A LOT

I agree, most people I know buy cars they like, NOT what is reliable or cheap to repair, and do not really care what service intervals are either- as long as it runs, then complain they break down which has happened to sil a few times with VW cars....

Daytime Running Lights - Manatee

I think it's simpler than that.

People who buy new cars don't generally worry about what happens 6-10 years down the line. They are also the ones who determine the selection of cars available to buyers of used cars.

I might be interested, because I keep cars a long time, but even so I tend to prioritise reliability over cost/ease of repair.

I suppose the prat factor - perhaps risk factor would be a kinder term - comes in more with 'prestige' and 'performance' cars. As somebody who might keep a car for a reasonably long time, I avoid those, they are a liability almost without exception once out of warranty. Cost-wise the new buyers often do well - second-hand buyers can end up with a high-price used car that also has high running costs.