Honda Jazz - Should an Si have heavier steering than an S? - Starman999

I'm looking to buy a used Honda Jazz for around the £4,500. mark. I just tried a very nice 1.4 Si (60 plate). All seemed really great on it except that the steering felt noticeably heavier than the 1.2s I tried yesterday. The steering 'return' (on the Si) was a little less enthusiastic, too. It didn't feel 'wrong' in any way, just different (and I happen to prefer very light steering...).

The dealer said that she would expect the SI to feel different from the S as the Si sits higher. I think she also said it has bigger wheels than the S. (She also pointed out that differences in tyre pressure between the two cars could make a difference, but I reckon there would have to be a lot of difference in tyre presure to account for THIS difference!).

So is it indeed the case that the steering on a 1.4 Si should feel heavier than a 1.2 S?

Edited by Starman999 on 27/02/2019 at 19:32

Honda Jazz - Should an Si have heavier steering than an S? - badbusdriver

I wouldn't have expected the Si to feel noticeably heavier than the S. But, having had a quick look on t'internet, i came upon an article from Auto Express. This says,

"The main changes underneath the skin include revised suspension settings, a new set of dampers and a larger anti-roll bar. There have been some changes to the power steering too."

Unfortunately no clarification is given on what the changes to the power steering mean, but given the Si was supposedly a 'sporty' Jazz, it would probably be safe to assume that the steering is indeed heavier. Quite how much heavier it should be, well that is a different question, but if the car you tried had slightly low tyre pressures, i suppose that could make the difference seem greater.

But if you find the Si's steering too heavy, best idea would be to leave it. Either go for the 1.2S, or find a lower spec 1.4.

Just to point out, we run a current shape Jazz EX which has the largest size of wheels and the steering is not heavy at all.

Honda Jazz - Should an Si have heavier steering than an S? - Starman999

"The main changes underneath the skin include revised suspension settings, a new set of dampers and a larger anti-roll bar. There have been some changes to the power steering too."

Unfortunately no clarification is given on what the changes to the power steering mean, but given the Si was supposedly a 'sporty' Jazz, it would probably be safe to assume that the steering is indeed heavier.

Interesting! Thanks a lot.