All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - Car

Have young relative who is looking for a car to learn in and keep after passing test. His hobbies are outdoor based camping, canoeing and biking so the usual first cars such as Toyota Yaris etc will not do.

They are thinking of a small estate with low insurance costs budget max £1,000.

Suggestions of cars that meet the above criteria?

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - oldroverboy.

Focus petrol estate. petrol. plenty here. where are you? approx.

check mot history beforehand to see

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&...l

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - sandy56

What about a Toyota corolla 1.6L, hatchback?

One of the most reliable cars and available at that price. I even found some with less than 100k.

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - SLO76
They’ll need to get a few insurance quotes first but at this money the better small estates are the Mk Ford Focus Mk I or Mk II 1.6 petrol and the Vauxhall Astra 1.4/1.6 petrol. Both offered decent space and are mechanically simple and robust if you find one that’s been looked after.

The Astra isn’t particularly popular so their money will go further here with £1,500 enough to get a reasonable Mk V and £1,000 will get the best Mk IV which is probably where I’d look as the earlier car is simpler and better suited to driving on a very limited budget. The 1.6 8v petrol is a non-interference design too which means if the timing belt fails the engine isn’t destroyed. It’ll do 40mpg on a run and is easy to get bits for plus any mechanic can maintain it.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181207307...9

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181224346...5

The Toyota Avensis is another good bet at this money as is the Honda Accord but both will likely be too dear to insure for a new driver. I’d avoid diesels which are far more complex and likely to go wrong also. There are a few smaller options if insurance proved prohibitive such as the Peugeot 206/207 SW, Clio Estate, Skoda Fabia estate, and Ford Fusion but they’re pretty limited for space and really little better than a normal hatch. If a normal hatchback would do them then a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla would be excellent and can be had for £1,000 easy enough.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-coro...l

The best cars at this sort of money are in private sales but small estates are quite hard to come by in decent condition. Gumtree is good for cheap private sales but watch out for fly traders and rogues.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/01/2019 at 09:37

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - nellyjak

Given the parameters...IMO the Toyota Corolla may well do a good job...and perhaps the Yaris VERSO.

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - badbusdriver

I'd also be looking at the Focus, either as a hatchback or an estate. But I'd also throw the Ford Fusion into the mix. This is essentially a bigger squarer Fiesta who's boot is about the same size as the Focus hatch, and also comes with a fold flat passenger seat (I think all models had this). It shares the same running gear as the Fiesta except the 1.25 petrol, your engine choices are 1.4 or 1.6 petrol, plus the 1.4 and 1.6 diesel. We had one for 3 years back in 2005 and I still reckon it was one of the best cars we've had for all round abilities.

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - jc2

+1 for the Fusion as an alternative to the Focus.

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - John F

How could I not recommend our X plate 18yr old Ford Focus auto estate? It has performed dogsbody duties for many years, swallowing bikes, housemoving furniture and hefty adults with ease, thanks to its clever rear suspension not impinging on the load space.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181208310...1

Here's a nice looking low mileage for age one. Ours has done 50,000m more and still going strong. Autos will have been cherished, and this is a good (pre-powershift) reliable.

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - Car

Thank you for all replies, insurance cost will be the the thing that dictates the vehicles that get on the shortlist.

I have had thought of whether a Ford focus C Max would be another one to consider ?

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - SLO76

Thank you for all replies, insurance cost will be the the thing that dictates the vehicles that get on the shortlist.

I have had thought of whether a Ford focus C Max would be another one to consider ?

It is, but younger drivers may be put off by old fuddy styling. Stick to petrols and they are usually well looked after by older owners too. The Vauxhall Zafira is plentiful and pretty robust at this money too.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/01/2019 at 10:40

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - Gibbo_Wirral

Pug 206 estate, especially with the 90bhp 2L diesel engine.

All Cars - New year challenge for SLO76 & others - badbusdriver

A fairly recent conversation with my nephew, just turned 17, who was quoted considerably less to insure a Skoda Fabia VRS (130ps 1.9 diesel) than a Fiesta 1.4 petrol, makes me think maybe the OP should have a look at a Fabia estate?. Very capacious boot and assuming you stick to the 1.4 petrol or 1.9 diesel, I believe they are pretty Hardy.