What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What car has what auto gearbox - VengaPete

I have a Venga 1.6 with the 4 speed Torque converter gearbox.

My daughter (26) is about to resume driving again (medically required to have a break for three years) and for various reasons requires a small auto. She's just applied to get her licence back and it will probably be January before it appears such is the process and speed of DVSA medical division (and with good reason as no one wants her driving if its not safe)

Browsing the Interweb it seems there is no site that lists cars to auto gearbox type which frankly surprises me, and simultaneously gives me an idea about maybe doing a website for just such information.

While I muse over creating a website (and might ask at a later date for fellow forumites gearbox info) can anyone suggest a small auto? It needs to be reliable as she works night shifts and doesn't want to be stranded at night, so no VAG DSG's with their notorious failures and similarly that rules out a Nissan Note and their notorious self destructing CVT as also used in the Juke and Qashqai

We'd prefer chain cam engine and it has to be petrol. Preferably a smallish engine as she has zero no claims (as previous no claims has expired).

Budget around £5k

Oddly she can get in a Venga 1.6 Auto for around £860 insurance but for a Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT its £950 - which I don't understand but then insurance is a huge dark art anyway. While a Venga Auto would be fine, I don't want her to feel "Dad says it must be a Venga as he has one" so would like to research other options.

What car has what auto gearbox - badbusdriver

For reliable small torque converter auto's at that budget, you should be looking at the Mazda 2, Kia Rio, Hyundai i20. If she can manage with something smaller, also consider the Kia Picanto and Hyundai i10. The Venga is actually a good call too and if she doesn't want to follow Dad too closely, there is also the Hyundai ix20.

With the CVT you have the Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris, both extremely reliable.

Regarding the insurance costs for the jazz, be aware that a jazz (and Yaris) will do 15mpg + more than a Venga, so take into account the mileage as the Jazz may still work out cheaper over the course of a year.

Not sure about the belt or chain question, apart from the Mazda whaich i'm pretty certain has a chain, but TBH, it would not affect my decision at all. All the cars mentioned are extremely reliable, just make sure you have the belt changed when it is required.

Edited by badbusdriver on 09/11/2018 at 18:53

What car has what auto gearbox - RT

Autotrader allows you to select automatic/manual among its selection criteria

The Hyundai iX20 is the Venga's sibling - actually the other way round as modern Kia's are all based on Hyundai underpinnings.

What car has what auto gearbox - VengaPete

Hi RT

Yes, most sites like Autotrader / Motors.co / Parkers etc do allow search on gearbox type but nowhere can I find easily a site that shows if the Auto is Torque converter / DSG / automated manual etc. Hence my suggestion I might look to create a site that helps.

I know the Venga has TC (and despite what Honest John thinks) still has a TC on the facelift. And I know the CVT on Honda / Toyota are well regarded but I'm not sure what else is out there that might also be suitable so figured it might be a good idea to ask.

What car has what auto gearbox - RT

Hi RT

Yes, most sites like Autotrader / Motors.co / Parkers etc do allow search on gearbox type but nowhere can I find easily a site that shows if the Auto is Torque converter / DSG / automated manual etc. Hence my suggestion I might look to create a site that helps.

I know the Venga has TC (and despite what Honest John thinks) still has a TC on the facelift. And I know the CVT on Honda / Toyota are well regarded but I'm not sure what else is out there that might also be suitable so figured it might be a good idea to ask.

Good luck! A big problem will be identifying exactly when each model changes from one type to another - it's not helped by manufacturers' names such as Tiptronic, S=tronic, Powertronic, Powershift, etc

There are not a whole lot of other options for that budget as automated manuals had well and truly become the norm in small cars. Here are some other small cars which i'm fairly certain have t/c auto. In no particular order, Suzuki Swift (not the current shape), Suzuki Splash, Suzuki SX-4, Vauxhall Agila (same car as the Suzuki Splash), Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 2010-2015 (i think the 1.2 of this era was an automated manual and not sure about the current shape).

But you can rule out any small Ford, Renault, VAG, PSA as they all used either single or dual clutch automated manuals. Hyundai/Kia have now started using that type of gearbox on their latest models (though not the Venga and ix20), but PSA have now (within the last year or so) reverted back to a lightweight t/c auto, not that it helps you as all the relevant cars would be too young to be in budget.

What car has what auto gearbox - SLO76
You’re not spoiled for choice here. As you rightly say, you don’t want anything with a complex and troublesome automated manual box like VAG’s DSG or Ford’s Powershift. Plus small autos are more often than not bought by older drivers who often keep them longterm. Good news if you can find a nice one or two owner car with low miles but it also means they’re few and far between.

Here’s a wee shortlist of what I’d be looking at...

Ford Fiesta 1.4 auto This uses the very robust Yamaha designed engine along with a reliable if not particularly efficient conventional torque converter transmission. Look after it and it’ll run and run plus it’s an easy sell when you’re done and good to drive.

Mazda 2 auto. As above, this uses a conventional automatic transmission and shares much of its underpinnings with the Fiesta but uses bulletproof Mazda chain driven petrol engines. A brilliant little car but not that easy to find with an auto so you may have to travel.

Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT. Dull to drive but a very efficient design with loads of room and it’s great on fuel. Needs CVT fluid changes at set intervals which are almost always neglected by non-franchise dealers so buy only with a full Honda history and verify that they’ve been carried out by checking receipts or calling the servicing dealer yourself. Chain driven engine never goes wrong. Again an easy sell when you’re done. If I could get an unlimited supply of these I could sell them all.

Toyota Yaris 1.33 CVT. As above but I find these nicer to drive and there’s fewer cases of transmission problems so they seem able to weather a bit more neglect. Still, I’d buy only with a Toyota history.

Suzuki Swift 1.2 auto is again a great little car. Well made, utterly reliable and uses a conventional auto box. You’ll need £6k upwards to get a good one though but well worth it.

Hyundai’s i10 and i20 are both worthy too. No fears mechanically, in fact their autos are better than the manuals for longevity but they’re throwaway cars with little appeal past 7yrs old. So remember it’ll be worthless when you come to sell it on but you’ll get a newer example for the money. Both are bad for water leaks and underbody rot will cause problems far earlier than with any of the others above. These are built to a price but still rarely go wrong.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/11/2018 at 00:42

What car has what auto gearbox - KB.

Hyundai’s i10 and i20 are both worthy too. No fears mechanically, in fact their autos are better than the manuals for longevity but they’re throwaway cars with little appeal past 7yrs old. So remember it’ll be worthless when you come to sell it on but you’ll get a newer example for the money. Both are bad for water leaks and underbody rot will cause problems far earlier than with any of the others above. These are built to a price but still rarely go wrong.

Oh dear.... I've got a 7 year old i10 automatic. Bought it new for eight and half grand.

But you're right, I'm old and have hung on to it, and it's not done many miles - just as you said.

Didn't realise it was worthless though... throwaway, in fact...

Oh dear.

Although, having said that - it has no water leaks.

And the underneath hasn't rusted away either.

Doesn't do much to the gallon though .... round town it's rarely better than 32mpg, and often less.

Blimey, what pickle I'm in. :-(

Edited by KB. on 10/11/2018 at 12:35

What car has what auto gearbox - SLO76
“Blimey, what pickle I'm in. :-(“

Can only tell you how the trade see it. Apologies if it upsets you. They do rot underneath more rapidly than rivals and they do crash in value beyond a certain age and water leaks are common, especially on the i20, but they are perfectly reliable and I’ll still happily recommend one but buy with all the facts and don’t overpay. Chin up! ;-)

Edited by SLO76 on 10/11/2018 at 13:36

"Chin up! ;-)"

Yes, indeed, and, as I hope you will have gathered, it's not a matter great concern on a car that cost so little in the first place, and has been100% reliable for the past 7 years ... and, more to the point, the Mrs. likes it and doesn't want to change it.

I'm much less keen on it but that's neither here nor there. It's noisy and unrefined at 70mph and always has been. This is partly due to the strange vibration that occurs at 3250rpm or thereabouts (which equates to exactly 70mph, which is unfortunate if you want to do a constant 70mph). Below, and above, that engine speed it quietens down but at that engine speed there is a very pronounced buzz and vibration. It was improved after Hyundai developed, and fitted, a modified drive shaft for the car. On the face of it you or I would say that a drive shaft would have no bearing on the production of vibration at a specific engine speed - however Hyundai Head Office sent their technical bloke down to drive it and he went away and got on to the factory in India and came up with a different drive shaft and fitted it and it was a bit better, but remains unpleasant.

32mpg sounds ridiculous, but that's what it does - sometimes it's down to 27mpg. Obviously, if I drove it at a steady 56mph for two hours down the M5 it would do a bit more but, compared to big, luxurious modern BMWs and Mercs which do loads more to the gallon, it sounds silly to get such poor mpg from a tiny city car - but hey ho.

Anyway, more important things in the world to worry about, eh? :-)

Edited by KB. on 10/11/2018 at 13:58

What car has what auto gearbox - Octane

My mother runs an 8 year old Kia Picanto automatic with nearly 29000 miles on the clock. The spare wheel well has filled up with water since new. Mechanically it was faultless for the first five years but has since needed attention to brakes/suspension/exhaust/lights for each mot. I take it for a run occasionally to charge the battery and am staggered how it drinks fuel even on a run. At idle you cannot hear the engine running but at 70 mph it reminds me of the old BMC 1100 with its headache inducing drone. The paintwork on top is perfect but underneath rust is taking hold fast.

^^^ Now you mention it, I remembered that it had two rear shock absorbers and new front pads and discs during the past two years. Both jobs done by an indepenent just up the road - he services it now as the warranty expired two yrs ago.

EDIT - I just checked the mileage - 17065

Edited by KB. on 10/11/2018 at 15:12

Ford Fiesta 1.4 auto This uses the very robust Yamaha designed engine along with a reliable if not particularly efficient conventional torque converter transmission. Look after it and it’ll run and run plus it’s an easy sell when you’re done and good to drive.

This just illustrates the problem in trying to find out about gearbox types!. Aplogies Venga Pete for my duff info re Ford. When i think of a 2 pedal Fiesta, what springs to mind is the notorious powershift which is a dual clutch automated manual. But that is fitted to the 1.6 and latterly the 1.0 ecoboost (also to be avoided), whereas the 1.4, as SLO points out, does indeed have a t/c auto. Quite why manufacturers like Ford would fit two different kinds of auto box to the Fiesta is beyond me. It isn't like there is a big difference on power (.e, one type of box couldn't handle the power of the bigger engine), we are only talking about 94bhp vs 105bhp (or 99bhp for the ecoboost). Weirdly, the reverse was the case on earlier Fiesta's. On the 5th generation (2003-2008) the lower powered 1.4 petrol auto had an automated manual (durashift), whereas the 1.6 had a t/c auto.

Edited by badbusdriver on 10/11/2018 at 18:36