What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus TDCI 2006 - Misdiagnosis ? - Steveieb
Friends car was taken to the dealers in limp mode.
And was diagnosed with a blocked DPF.
Cost to repair £800
Surely a car as early as this won't have a DPF?
Ford Focus TDCI 2006 - Misdiagnosis ? - badbusdriver

First car with DPF, or a variant of, was the Citroën C5, and it was quite a few years before that. 2006 would have been around when they became more common, so while I'm not sure about that car, it certainly could have a DPF at that age.

Ford Focus TDCI 2006 - Misdiagnosis ? - dieselnut

" First car with DPF, or a variant of, was the Citroën C5 "

Yes, I made the big mistake of purchasing a 2001 2.2 CR Diesel C5 in about 2003.

My previous Citroen XM 2.2 with IDI engine had no problem returning in excess of 60MPG on a run.

I could never coax more than 50MPG out of the C5 & didn't even know what a DPF was, I soon found out.

The DPF was under the car near the centre, so used shed loads of diesel to heat it up to regenerate.

The only good thing was the DPF was designed to be taken apart for cleaning ( every 80k miles ) & was much more efficient after it had been jetwashed out.

Ford Focus TDCI 2006 - Misdiagnosis ? - badbusdriver

After doing a quick search I came upon a few threads on Ford forums, on one, a member says his 2007 Focus 2.0TDCI does not have a DPF, but another says the 2.0 had them from 2006>. So not definitive by any stretch, but confirms what I said earlier that the car could well have a DPF. Incidentally, the 1.6TDCI seems to have had a DPF since 2004.

Ford Focus TDCI 2006 - Misdiagnosis ? - Steveieb
Really appreciate all your replies. thank you !
Ford Focus TDCI 2006 - Misdiagnosis ? - Engineer Andy

The 1.6 diesel isn't called the 'diesel of doom' for nothing...(if it is the 1.6 in this case)

Also to be found in the Mazda3, Volvo S40/V40 and a whole host of PSA and Ford cars from that era onwards.

Moral of the story: Don't buy an older DPF-equipped diesel car without knowing 100% its service and driving history, and never buy any diesel if you predominantly do short, urban journeys from cold. They might be ok, but if they aren't or go wrong due to the new owner's driving pattern, then big bills or write off losses will surely follow...

Edited by Engineer Andy on 10/08/2018 at 17:51

Ford Focus TDCI 2006 - Misdiagnosis ? - TheGentlemanThug

The FordEtis site can tell you if the car has a DPF or not:

www.etis.ford.com/