any - coolant renewal - gordonbennet

I've just changed the coolant on SWMBO Forester (i'd forgotten, its been sitting in the garage for couple of months), unsure how long since it was last done, no signs of deterioration it must be said.

When i unscrewed the radiator drain plug the old coolant ran out quite slowly at first until i gave it blast through via the rad and filler points and back flushed through a heater hose to boot, we have good mains water pressure here and i have a conical nozzle on my trigger sprayer hose which means a near enough watertight seal to blow mains water through the system.

Have flushed it through several times, no signs of rust or other muck.

Have now refilled with 50% de-ionised water and 50% 5 year anti freeze, and during running the car to 'burp' the system (these flat four Scoobies noted for being interesting to bleed) it's noticeable that the electric fans are not working as readily as they did before, they do work still so i haven't dislodged the switch connection, but can only assume the new coolant, or maybe a good flush through, have made the cooling system more efficient, which is just was well as it's only 7.3 litres total, not much for a 2.5 turbo petrol, so it wants to be working well.

Took longer than i thought, of course i managed to drop the drain plug down into the bottom tray, but only the once :-)

any - coolant renewal - craig-pd130

I must change the coolant on my bike once the current riding season draws to a close, and swap the current 2-year green coolant for some 5-year pink stuff. No signs of higher running temps or the coolant getting mucky, but it's 3 years since it was done so it's nagging at my mind a little.

The engine (650cc in-line 90-degree V-twin) is similarly 'interesting' to bleed: like the Scoob, separate cylinders and heads etc which are playgrounds for air bubbles!

any - coolant renewal - corax

It took me a while to find out what coolant to use. The Subaru stuff is difficult to get hold of. In the end I found that VAG Quantum G12 pink has all the right specifications and my mechanic has it by the drum so that was convenient.

By the way GB, my offside wishbone snapped in half a few weeks ago. Luckily I wasn't driving the car, it was in for a service. The garage drove it and said it was all over the place, so they jacked it up, there was a loud bang, and the thing broke.

I rang my nearest dealer and told them what had happened, including telling them I had contacted them last year about the recall in which they told me my car had been covered (corroded front wishbones a known weak point including Imprezas and I think Legacy's). They inspect them and change if looking bad, or spray them with cavity wax if looking OK (not good enough methinks). They got back to me and offered to replace both free of charge. They also ended up replacing the offside driveshaft because it pulled out and got damaged as the car was being winched onto the transporter.

New wishbones are thicker gauge metal apparently although I never had the chance to compare old with new. I'm glad that they supplied and fitted them because I couldn't find SG Forester wishbones anywhere when I was looking out of interest last year. The strange thing is that the earlier SF Forester wishbones are available everywhere but they don't tend to rust like the later Foresters!

So I'm happy enough, but things could have been far worse if I'd been travelling at speed. I also think that the wishbones should be replaced regardless, as an inspection obviously isn't good enough if mine and other peoples experiences are anything to go by. That's an expensive option for Subaru, but it's a serious safety issue.

Next time you get underneath, have a good look at them. If you think you need them and can't get standard replacements, STI alloy wishbones from an Impreza fit, don't rust and are stronger but the rear bush mounting needs to be swapped as it's different on the Foz. They also need a cone adapter to fit the balljoint.

Edited by corax on 02/07/2018 at 19:32

any - coolant renewal - Metropolis.

Interesting to hear the capacity is only 7.3 litres GB, my td5 is 13 litres (22.75 pt), what's the capacity on your land cruiser? Guess the subaru is more efficient at cooling, or perhaps they're trying to get the engine up to temp faster and reduce wear that way.

Corax.

Thanks for the wishbone warning and the tip about STi alloy wishbones, noted, i had a good look at everything when i rustproofed the vehicle recently, they seemed rock solid like everything else but next time i'm underneath i'll have a good poke nose round them, as you say scary stuff indeed.

Fortunately with the very low mileage and the general condition of it, i don't think it's seen a great deal of salt, but doesn't pay to be complacent.

Metropolis.

Surprisingly little coolant in the Landcruiser too for a 3litre Diesel, 11.2 litres, maybe a Japanese practice, i put new Genuine Toyota coolant in only about 12months ago, so that's good now for several years.

Certainly the Scoob does get up to temp quickly, this weather it's switched over to LPG within 30 seconds.

As Craig and Corax, i've swapped to the red OAT stuff, hence the mega flushing to get the green stuff fully out.

any - coolant renewal - corax

Guess the subaru is more efficient at cooling, or perhaps they're trying to get the engine up to temp faster and reduce wear that way.

Great heater in the winter, mine is putting out warm air within a few minutes of driving.

any - coolant renewal - argybargy

I posted a thread here a while back about coolant for my B Max, expecting the response to be "just throw any old stuff in". Of course it wasn't, and the consensus was that it should be the same colour as the stuff already in there.

I had no idea there were so many types, and that the consequences of putting the wrong stuff in could be well nigh catastrophic. Much more careful now, naturally.

any - coolant renewal - John F

I think there is no need for coolant renewal these days. The only time any coolant has been renewed in my 38yr old TR7 was in 1986 (when I naively thought at a mere 6 yrs old it might be a good idea) and in 2002 when it needed a new water pump. All you do is introduce more corroding oxygen if you use fresh water, 'de-ionised' or not. The coolant in our nearly 18yr old Focus is original, still nice and pink, and hopefully oxygen free by now. The argument that the 'inhibitor will have gone off' is, in my view, one of the many work-creating tools of the garage trade which so often create more problems than they solve if you are unlucky.

John F, I sometimes wonder if you are Honest John's alter ego, here to spice things up a bit! Honest John vs 'John F'ibs? : )

With your zero maintenance approach, something like this waterless coolant might suit you better.. www.evanscoolant.com/products/

any - coolant renewal - John F

John F, I sometimes wonder if you are Honest John's alter ego, here to spice things up a bit! Honest John vs 'John F'ibs? : )

No, I'm here because of a lifelong interest in machines in general and cars, especially their powertrains, in particular. With my scientific independent mindset I also enjoy challenging ignorant dogma which might have had some value in the past but often needs to be adapted or discarded for present circumstances. A pet hate is vulnerable people being ripped off by being advised or frightened into having unnecessary work done on their cars, sometimes with disastrously expensive consequences.

With your zero maintenance approach......

Like some who disagree with my thoughts, you have got this wrong. It is 'careful economical maintenance', spending as little as possible for maximum benefit, but not stinting on quality or pleasure. My fundamental appoach is value for money..... 'buy the best and make it last'. It's worked well so far - the average age of our three cars, all bought 'used', (TR7, Audi A8, Ford Focus - combined cost £23,250) is over 22yrs and their combined mileage is 265,000m.

any - coolant renewal - piggy

With your zero maintenance approach, something like this waterless coolant might suit you better.. www.evanscoolant.com/products/

No,John's here to irritate Skidpan (not difficult). They seem to play good cop/bad cop.l leave it to forumites to decide which is which.:)

any - coolant renewal - Andrew-T

I think there is no need for coolant renewal these days.

John, that may depend how you define 'these days'. My daughter owned one of the early Clios, which I had to look after occasionally. The manual for that car didn't suggest any change interval for the coolant, and the stuff circulating in the (cast-iron) block looked browner than the canal water in Harecastle tunnel - if that means anything to you. I suppose it still performed its main function of cooling, but I'm not sure whether the head gasket liked it much, and it wouldn't have been good for the heater circuit either.

Probably the internal corrosion was due to mixing with tap water, which is commonly alkaline in hard-water areas. OTOH, my Pug 207 diesel is now 10 years old and still has its original blue coolant, so the problem has clearly been solved.

any - coolant renewal - dadbif
I always test mine by taking a quantity out, just about an eggcupful, and sticking it in the freezer overnight,

Thing is with coolant, anti freezing properties are only part of what it does, it's ability to prevent freezing doesn't really deteriorate over many many years, its the anti corrosion and lubricant additives that do.

Aluminium in particular is prone to corrosion (thik fo all those cheap alloy pump pressure washers which last 5 minutes), but so are gaskets etc, really expensive fixes compared to £15 worth of fresh anti freeze every few years.

any - coolant renewal - James phillips

I believe coolant usage helps with dashcam reliability. The shop where I brought my dashcam from told me and I have found that useful for performance

any - coolant renewal - FP

Coolant usage... dashcam reliability.

Dashcam reliability... coolant usage.

Right.

I believe coolant usage helps with dashcam reliability.

Hmmm - explain please?

I believe coolant usage helps with dashcam reliability.

Hmmm - explain please?

The salesman said a smoother journey means better footage. When you think about the concept it is obvious. I now top up weekly and my footage is better than ever

If you have to top up your coolant weekly, you may have a problem.

Anything a salesman said is likely to be geared towards getting money out of people and containing little, if any, truth.

I'm struggling to understand why "coolant usage" (whatever that is) has any connection with smoother running, a smoother journey or indeed anything smooth.

If you really believe this, James, then I'm sorry to say you've been conned.

I'm half inclined to think it's all a wind-up anyway.

Edited by FP on 04/07/2018 at 19:15

Anything a salesman said is likely to be geared towards getting money out of people and containing little, if any, truth.

I'm struggling to understand why "coolant usage" (whatever that is) has any connection with smoother running, a smoother journey or indeed anything smooth.

If you really believe this, James, then I'm sorry to say you've been conned.

I'm half inclined to think it's all a wind-up anyway.

I will go back tomorrow to get a technical explanation then let you know. I never get conned as I am too switched on

any - coolant renewal - Hugh Watt

Come back soon James, we need more of this blue-sky thinking.

any - coolant renewal - John Boy

I will go back tomorrow to get a technical explanation then let you know. I never get conned as I am too switched on

Definitely a wind-up! Do it again, James, when everyone's forgotten about it. Like swearing, I think wind-ups are more effective if used sparingly.

<< Definitely a wind-up! Do it again, James, when everyone's forgotten about it. >>

Maybe some of us take things too seriously. James' post at 17:18 was clearly a good April Fool just three months out of phase. Nice one James.

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/07/2018 at 23:11

"I will go back tomorrow to get a technical explanation then let you know."

I have been waiting all day to hear this technical explanation. (I am very glad to hear that James never gets conned as he is too switched on - nice to know.) Please, please come back and enlighten us.

I hope this is not a wind-up, actually, despite what other posters have said. It will be much more fun if it's not.

"I will go back tomorrow to get a technical explanation then let you know."

I have been waiting all day to hear this technical explanation. (I am very glad to hear that James never gets conned as he is too switched on - nice to know.) Please, please come back and enlighten us.

I hope this is not a wind-up, actually, despite what other posters have said. It will be much more fun if it's not.

I called today and the salesman has left. Maybe you are right and it is not true but he sounded very convincing. I start from a position of distrust so I never get conned. What I would say is that my weekly top up's, which are sometimes very small, have improved the way my Omega runs and it seems to have made the car to run smoother with less jolting so the footage is better.

The salesman is still in the area so I will certainly track him down. If he has ripped me off I will not be happy as no one does that to me