Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 2015 with cracked tyres - A L

I have an Audi A3 which was bought new in August 2015 and has approximately 7000 miles on the clock. The tyres are Dunlop Sport Maxx

I recently had a slow puncture from a nail and on visiting Kwik Fit to have it repaired, they advised that all four of my tyres had cracks within the central tread running around the circumference of the tyre.

I have kept my tyres inflated as recommended, however I would not expect such wear to occur given the relatively short time period since buying the car.

I had asked Kwik Fit how this could have occurred, however they were unsure and suggested normally it is due to the tyres being under inflated, which was not the case here.

Advise is sought as to whether this is a common problem, something with the car causing it or something Audi should be rectifying.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 2015 with cracked tyres - Railroad.
Firstly Audi don't make tyres. They never have and probably never will. If the tread of your tyres are cracked then this will most likely be due to under-inflation and will have nothing to do with Audi. Minor cracks may not mean that tyre failure is imminent. However, how much of a chance are you prepared to take? Keeping your tyres in good roadworthy condition is the responsibility of the driver.
Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 2015 with cracked tyres - RobJP

There will be a warranty on tyres as well as on the car. The tyre warranty is obviously considerably shorter.

I'd take it in to an Audi garage (preferably the one it was bought from), and express my concerns, and enquire about a warranty claim.

I'f you're given the brush-off, make the point that goods must be 'fit for purpose' and last a 'reasonable' length of time, and ask them to re-visit their decision.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 2015 with cracked tyres - Railroad.

There will be a warranty on tyres as well as on the car. The tyre warranty is obviously considerably shorter.

I'd take it in to an Audi garage (preferably the one it was bought from), and express my concerns, and enquire about a warranty claim.

I'f you're given the brush-off, make the point that goods must be 'fit for purpose' and last a 'reasonable' length of time, and ask them to re-visit their decision.

The same old question is what do you consider reasonable? No manufacturer will warranty anything if signs of neglect are obvious. The recommended tyre pressures are stated in the vehicle handbook, and on a sticker on the car itself. Tyre Pressure Monitoring System does not absolve the driver from his responsibility to know the condition of his tyres. Every driver regardless of what he/she drives should know that. And it is the responsibility of the driver, not the vehicle owner if they're different.
Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 2015 with cracked tyres - gordonbennet

Some well known makes are known for cracking, Dunlop not one that springs to mind though.

If you check on the sidewall of the tyres you will find a date stamp

www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

might be interesting to see if they are a reasonable age considering the age of the car.

Minor perish cracks barely visible i wouldn't worry too much about, have you checked these for yourself?...i'm sure the person at the fast fit place wasn't trying to sell you a new set :-)

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 2015 with cracked tyres - Wackyracer

I had a tyre replaced under the cars warranty when the tyre wall developed a bulge in it. Of course they tried to claim I'd done it but, they soon came to realise that I wasn't going to be fobbed off and asked me to take it to the tyre company that the dealer used to have it changed FOC.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 2015 with cracked tyres - Paulsxf

I have an XF which comes from the factory with Dunlops (or Dunslips as the owners call them).

Cracking is a known problem with them and quite a few owners have had it. It is mostly seen on the sidewall of the tyres.

I would first try Audi to see if it is a known issue, or at least tell you if it is a tyre fault or some other fault. I think the normal advice is to go to a NTA accredited tyre supplier who should send them back to Dunlop to credit you for any unused life remaining on the tyre (if it is a tyre fault).

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 2015 with cracked tyres - Galaxy

Dunlop tyres always used to be noted for cracking.

That's why I never used to buy them (and still don't!)

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 2015 with cracked tyres - A L

By way of an update, I took the car into Audi who checked the car over and advised there was nothing wrong with the tyres. This was after it went up on the ramp for a second time, are they insisted there was no risk of a blow out and the cracking was normal and would pass an MOT.

I've also checked the date stamp on the side of the tyres, which is June 2015 for all four tyres.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 2015 with cracked tyres - Bolt

By way of an update, I took the car into Audi who checked the car over and advised there was nothing wrong with the tyres. This was after it went up on the ramp for a second time, are they insisted there was no risk of a blow out and the cracking was normal and would pass an MOT.

I've also checked the date stamp on the side of the tyres, which is June 2015 for all four tyres.

You went to the wrong place,(I dont mean Audi) they try to persuade most people something is wrong when it isn`t, bonus must have been low

Small tyre places are the better ones not that fast fit place,I wont mention the name as they leave a lump in throat after what my niece went through with them