What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Cr-V 2.2 i CTDi Executive Station Wagon 5dr - Says trade but not so sure? - danjwhitehead

Hi,

I am interested in a Honda Cr-V 2.2 i CTDi Executive Station Wagon 5dr 2007 85k miles which is currently advertised on Autotrader at £4475.

He says he is trade, but there is only a mobile, no website or landline, and the pics appear to be taken in a residential area. He only takes cash too.

He does take part ex, will give a 12 month MOT, but just wanted people's advice as to whether people pose as trade but are actually just a private seller? Or am I worrying about nothing if there doesn't actually appear to be a garage?

Any advice welcome.

Honda Cr-V 2.2 i CTDi Executive Station Wagon 5dr - Says trade but not so sure? - RobJP

The problem is the other way round - traders attempting to get round their obligations by pretending to be private sellers.

Lots of small traders will operate from home, with a stock of one or 2 cars. They are usually more at the dodgy end of the spectrum.

The critical points to me would be not accepting anything other than cash (untraceable), and the V5 will not match the sellers details.

One of those points isn't so bad. After all, any garage, the V5 will not be in their name. Lots of (private) sellers like getting cash, as it can't be rescinded.

But both together make me wary.

Honda Cr-V 2.2 i CTDi Executive Station Wagon 5dr - Says trade but not so sure? - danjwhitehead

Thanks for your reply.

The listing does say it has a full service history and is HPI clear with HPI reports available and that is was serviced three months ago and he'll do a 12 month MOT.

I'd be paying cash anyway, but yes, I do feel wary about paying it with no forecourt to go back to should things go wrong.

Honda Cr-V 2.2 i CTDi Executive Station Wagon 5dr - Says trade but not so sure? - galileo

Bearing in mind how costly problems could be to fix, either with engine or transmission, you have to ask yourself "Do I feel lucky?"

If spending over £4000 on a used diesel Honda, I would prefer to buy from a trader who has an established business with repair facilities and therefore a reasonable chance of help in case of issues. ( but then, I'm a Yorkshireman who tends to pessimism)