What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Ford Focus 2 facelift soundproofing - floyd86

Hello!

I'm thinking of buying a 2009 Ford Focus 1.6 petrol TI-VCT. A few days ago I got the chance to ride in a friend's 2007 Focus (pre facelift). I was very surprised by the sheer amount of tyre/wind noise that occured at speeds no higher than 55 miles/hour. I read here on the forums that the facelift version has improved the soundproofing. Can please someone tell me how it compares to the previous model in this regard? Or maybe someone who owns a Focus 2 facelift can share his impressions on the quietness of the car?

This may not be a serious issue for most of the people, but for me not having a quite car at average speed would be a deal breaker and unfortunately at this time I don't have the posibility to drive one and see for myself how good it is compared to the old one.

Thank you so much!

Edited by floyd86 on 18/01/2013 at 13:40

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 2 facelift soundproofing - thunderbird

We had a 2005 Focus C-Max. Wind noise was very noticable but wind direction made a big difference. Tyre noise was also pronounced but a change form the OEM tyres to Khumo's drastically reduced it.

We had the car 5 years thus it did not affect us that much but when we changed it we made a serious effort to find a car with less wind and road noise.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 2 facelift soundproofing - 72 dudes

I've never driven a pre-facelift Focus 2 but used 2 different post-facelift ones - a Zetec and a Zetec S (with big wheels) both with the 1.6 petrol engine.

Neither were excessive for wind or road noise, but were less refined in this respect than the Astra and Golf I used at the same time (2010/11 models) and my own Volvo S40 (which although shares some components with the Focus is very refined at speed)

I strongly recommend you try a few out before buying, even if it means going to a Ford dealer to try a used one which you don't intend to buy.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 2 facelift soundproofing - FP

Am running an 05 Focus 2 litre petrol.

Wind noise is noticeable but not objectionable.

Tyre/road noise was quite bad until I replaced the fronts with Michelin Energy tyres - this made a big improvement. I assume when I get round to replacing the rears that will help further.

The advice to try for yourself seems sensible to me, but I suggest you try to separate wind noise (which you can't change) from road/tyre noise (which you can).

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 2 facelift soundproofing - bazza

Currently one of our fleet is a 10 plate 1.6 zetec Focus which we will shortly sell as looking for something bigger and ,yes, quieter! Road noise is intrusive at motorway speeds and broken surfaces. However, it's a decent enough car and averages 40 mpg. A few months ago I soundproofed the boot area and wheelarches, which to be honest made no difference at all!

A few years ago, I ran an 05 Mk2 which again was noisy, possibly more so. This later one is a nicer place to be, but not as nice as my 06 Corolla which manages to do everything the Focus does in a much more refined manner.

I have driven the latest shape Focus and that is much more refined, a different car, altogether, but isn't cheap and I think there are more refined, all rounders for similar money. I reckon the next size up may be a beeter bet for overall refinement.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 2 facelift soundproofing - Engineer Andy

I wonder what OEM's they were using - my very similar Mazda3 (55 plate, same floorpan as the mkII Focus, probably on 205/55 R16s) used the (IMO and it seems many others from reading review sites) absolutely awful Bridgestone ER30 tyres, which were VERY noisy as well as not particularly good at gripping (especially in the wet) - much better generally (and far quieter, even compared to when I originally bought the car when new) with the replacement Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse.

I've also drive another Mazda3 (from work) on the Khumos, which were fine. Both reduced (especially on the Dunlops) tyre roar/road noise considerably.

Yes, the rears are OEM I think, Bridgestones. Agree from previous experience they seem pretty harsh. I tend to fit Kuhmos when I can, been most impressed with performance and tyre life. But I do think the downside of the Focus's sharp handling and steering is the harshness and noise. A touch more compromise to comfort and refinement would be good. And Ford are very miserly with their sound deadening in those areas you don't tend to look. Maybe the Mondeo is better?

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 2 facelift soundproofing - Engineer Andy

I suspect it has to do with which version (mk2, mk3 etc) you're looking at - my Mazda3 mk1 has much less soundproofing than the mk1 facelift (2006 06 models) imporved on both noise dampening and ride quality, the same again for the mk2.

Its probably best to check which version (mark) of the Mondeo was available at the same time as the Focus within your price range - a faclifted version might have better ride quality/sound-proofing.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 2 facelift soundproofing - MikeTorque

I've had a pre-08 Focus and post-08 Focus (which I still have). There is a noticeable difference in internal noise, the post-08 updated version has more sound insulation and a few tweaks were made to the suspension on some models. Wind noise isn't really much of an issue on the post-08 version; however, noise of this type can be subjective so the best thing is to drive one to see how you find it.

Tyres are an issue, I found Bridgestone ER30 that came with the car utterly hopeless, noisy & hard ride. I find Goodyear Excellence 205/55/16 offer a significantly quieter & more comfortable ride; other drivers have found other brands work well for the Focus mk2.

All sports suspension models have a hard ride; the standard suspension is much more compliant and easy to live with.

Road noise is still noticeable on the post-08 model especially on rough surfaces but definitely less than the pre-08 version. The latest Focus mk3 offers a quieter and more comfortable ride.

Also on the Focus mk2 wheel size is a major factor, 17" or 18" have lower profile tyres which result in more road noise being transmitted into the cabin whilst at the same time ride comfort is adversely affected.

There are quieter cars around than the Focus mk2, for example, the latest Astra with 16" wheels is very comfortable and quiet (petrol engine), much more so than a Focus mk2 pre/post-08.

Best to try a few test drives in the models that interest you.

I've had a pre-08 Focus and post-08 Focus (which I still have). There is a noticeable difference in internal noise, the post-08 updated version has more sound insulation and a few tweaks were made to the suspension on some models. Wind noise isn't really much of an issue on the post-08 version; however, noise of this type can be subjective so the best thing is to drive one to see how you find it.

Tyres are an issue, I found Bridgestone ER30 that came with the car utterly hopeless, noisy & hard ride. I find Goodyear Excellence 205/55/16 offer a significantly quieter & more comfortable ride; other drivers have found other brands work well for the Focus mk2.

All sports suspension models have a hard ride; the standard suspension is much more compliant and easy to live with.

Road noise is still noticeable on the post-08 model especially on rough surfaces but definitely less than the pre-08 version. The latest Focus mk3 offers a quieter and more comfortable ride.

Also on the Focus mk2 wheel size is a major factor, 17" or 18" have lower profile tyres which result in more road noise being transmitted into the cabin whilst at the same time ride comfort is adversely affected.

There are quieter cars around than the Focus mk2, for example, the latest Astra with 16" wheels is very comfortable and quiet (petrol engine), much more so than a Focus mk2 pre/post-08.

Best to try a few test drives in the models that interest you.

Unfortunately the latest Astra far exceeds my budget, so my only option is to buy a used (older) car. Your post definitely clears up what I read in various places about the facelift version having superior soundproofing compared to the previous one and you have actually driven both. The wind noise was my main concern, as with the tyres and road noise there is room for improvement (16 inch wheels, Goodyear Excellence, Michelin Energy, Kumho KU31 so far).

Edited by floyd86 on 19/01/2013 at 08:32

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 2 facelift soundproofing - Avant

Try the Focus and see if you can live with it. By the sound of it, though, your priorities of refinement and, I imagine, relaxation, aren't what the Focus is good at. It's more like a cheaper BMW - great for whizzing round twisty B-roads but not the ideal car fot a quiet life.

Try a VW Golf, Audi A3 or Volvo S40 / S60, although you'll probably have to go for a slightly older car for the same price. It may be worth looking at the Toyota Auris or Mazda 3 which will be cheaper but should still be reasonably refined.

Wow, thank you all for your thorough replies. I was going to buy the Focus2 facelift due to the fact that it was a very good car for my budget, arguably the best all-rounder. And I still think it is great and it is still an option, but I can't really decide if it is good enough in the soundproofing area unti I actually get a chance to drive one. I read here on the forum that Kumho tyres are really quiet. So it only remains the wind noise and how good it isolates it comparing to the pre facelift model.

I was set on buying the focus as I didn't know about the quietness issues so I didn't really think of alternatives until now. Considering the price and the fact that I would still like a petrol engine hatchback, the Astra H and Golf mk 5 would be some good options I guess, even though they aren't as new as the focus. As refinement and quietness go, I understand that they are better than a 2009 focus?

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 2 facelift soundproofing - 72 dudes
even though they aren't as new as the focus. As refinement and quietness go, I understand that they are better than a 2009 focus?Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Yes, definitely.

Having driven all three (and my preference is for a good ride, low noise levels as long as it's still reasonable fun) I can honestly say that the previous Astra and Golf were more refined that the post 08 Focus. On the other hand the previous Astra was dull and bland inside. It's all down to personal preference.

As other posters and myself said previously, the only way to decide and not regret your decision is to try some of each.

It may be worth looking at the Toyota Auris or Mazda 3 which will be cheaper but should still be reasonably refined.

When we sold the Focus C-Max and searched for quieter car we tried the Auris and Mazda 3, Mazda 3 was very close to the focus in noise level but Auris was monumentally awful. The Honda Civic was very similar to the Focus (but with a terrible ride) and the jury is still out on the Octavia, the first we tried was literally painfully noisy on 15" Dunlops but another example we trid with 16" wheels and Bridgestones was fine.

What did you end up with TB?

What did you end up with TB?

Kia Ceed SW. When we went for a test drive we were not expecting miracles since the pre-facelift ones got bad press for tyre noise but the post facelift one we got is absolutely fine, in truth we only decided to try it since the car was the right size and the right price (but then again another C-Max fitted those criteria). There is no wind noise despite it having roof rails and big door mirrors and the tyre noise on the Michelin Primacys is not bad at all although some owners have commented that changing to other brands has improved the car quite a bit.

Bottom line is simple, in the C-Max me and the Mrs struggled to hear each other on the motorway (no bad thing) but in the Ceed conversation is easy. After an 8 hour plus holiday drive we get to our destination feeling much fresher.