What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Cracking the whiplash - unthrottled

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insura...l

We all knew this to be true, but the the scale of the scam is still quite shocking.

"Police figures show a 20rise in 3rd party injury claims% fall in the number of accidents involving injuries since 2006, while there has been a 40% "

and

"the average 3rd party claim now stands at £8400 suggesting that most claim s are for whiplash-like injuries"

Surely, it is now time for whiplash to be declared an Act of God, since, like God, whiplash is an intangible entity whose existence cannot be proved?

Anyone claiming whiplash, should be given the taste of one-preferably from a 3ft jambok wielded by a burly marshall.

Edited by Avant on 19/10/2012 at 00:15

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - TeeCee

I think the answer's already here in your "Most pathetic defence" thread and it's the solution proposed by the government which the target of that thread objects to so strenuously.

Allow the other party's insurer to handle the claim and cut out the claims farmers completely. Can't see them going out of their way to convince the injured party to load the claim with spurious addons.

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - Bobbin Threadbare

I have a friend who is a physiotherapist. She says that 'whiplash' doesn't exist, and it's often a squished trapezius muscle that causes the pain. Back in the day, it was called railway or railroad spine, because it was associated with train crashes instead.

I do resent paying that sizeable chunk of insurance to people who are preyed upon by 'accident managment companies'.

A former colleague of mine destroyed his lovely Mondeo ST220 on the motorway, and claimed that he had a 'little bit of whiplash'. Oh, really. Unspeakable. Wouldn't mind but he hit someone else...

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - madf

I do yoga regularly. Lots of exercises to stretch the neck which solve neck stigffness in weeks at nil cost..

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - unthrottled

Perhaps whiplash claimants should be offered a session of brutal chiropractic with Frau Schmidt, formerly of the East-German olympic shot put team rather than cash. I bet 90% of the claims would evaporate immediately!

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - injection doc

Having been struck by a car from behind at nearly 90 mph when stationary I can asure you that whether you call it whiplash or whatever it is it can be very debilitating !

having spent 18 months recovering before I could even return to work and that was over 5r years ago I have just suffered a cold and with the sneezing alone has triggered of the deep pain in my neck and spine that prevents you from wanting to even move an inch !

my left shoulder has never recovered and lost most of the movement and I had 18 months of private intense physio !

For those of us the are genuine claiments we all get tarnished with the same brush !

I am 100% confident there is no one who would step out of a car thats just been hit from behind at 90mph and say they feel fine and no stiffness or pain !and dont suffer any stiffness and severe headaches.

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - IRC

"Having been struck by a car from behind at nearly 90 mph when stationary I can asure you that whether you call it whiplash or whatever it is it can be very debilitating !"

No doubt.

It's the 9mph whiplash claims I am concerned about.

Any - Cracking the whiplash - Bilboman

Any whiplash claim should require a sworn affidavit, reminding the claimant of the maximum sentence for the CRIME of PERJURY (10 year prison sentence), as well as two independent medical examinations for starters. Paid for by the claimant and claimed back from a subsequent claim if successful. A couple of stiff prison sentences for parties involved in this cynical and ridiculously lucrative scam should send the right messages.
One thing that continues to puzzle me - with head restraints now fitted to all cars, how can so many people be suffering whiplash anyway? Perhaps we've become a nation of weak- necked individuals in the 37 years since hanging was abolished; I wonder if Spain and France have noted similar neck-related claims...

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - skittles

On one of the BBC follow the emergency service programs it was claimed 85% of whip lash injuries could be avoided if the seat was in the right position.

I had a very minor accidant some years ago, when I scraped the side of a car and the ladsy claimed whip lash, I challanged her and it was accepted in court that because of the type of collision the ladsy could not have received the injuries she claimed.

Yet nothing happened to the law firm bringing the case or the woman

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - barney100

We had a car hit us from behind and though we claimed for damage only to the vehicle it was not long before we had a call telling us to claim for whiplash. ''we can get you compensation'' I was going to tell them to politely go away but swmbo did it much better. Is it any wonder we are paying through the nose for insurance?

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - John F

It all depends on the severity. It is basically a sprain, i.e. torn ligaments between the neck bones, and just like a sprained ankle can take anything up to three months, or even longer in severe cases in the elderly, to heal. It obviously doesn't hurt that much over the whole period. Headrests usually preclude an actual 'whiplash' injury. The minor ones are merely strains which resolve over just a few days.

People should not be making claims after impacts of less severity than one might enjoyably sustain in a fairground dodgems car - and these weren't fitted with head restraints the last time I looked.

The end 50cm or so of modern cars are designed to crumple easily, reducing the sudden accelerative and decelerative effects on the two or more cars involved in a 'shunt'. I would contend that if they remain driveable after a typical rear-end shunt, no significant injury will have occured. Even if they don't, most people walk away from such crashes.

Insurance companies don't seem to care - whatever happened to the role of the loss adjustor?

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - bonzo dog

21 years ago the car I was driving was hit by a lorry. I was stationary at the time & was completely un-injured.

I had legal protection on the insurance so they sent me off to a local solicitor. He asked me "how is your neck feeling after the accident?"

I told him I was absolutely un-injured but he was pushing me to see a friendly doctor "who will confirm you have whip-lash" & he (the solicitor) will get me about £500 compensation.

I declined

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - 1litregolfeater

Who would you call to the lash, the lawyers or the plaintiffs?

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - injection doc

JohnF

" It obviously doesn't hurt that much over the whole period. Headrests usually preclude an actual 'whiplash' injury. The minor ones are merely strains which resolve over just a few days.

My seat was sheared off at the base including the seat ripped out the floor and the car folded in half and I can asure the head restraint was of no use whatsoever.

As for not hurting I seem to remember it was about 2 years before I could sleep as the pain in my kneck and spine and shoulders was so bad I didnt know whether to stand up-sit down-lay down as I just couldnt get away from the pain !

I suffered serious soft tissue injury as well as 4 fractures and one complete shattered vertebre and permanent serious shoulder unjury with only 30% movement since so it can take more tha a few days! so dont tar all of us with the same brush.

Compensation never makes up for the fact that I am never able to return to my original line of work ! so being hit from behind is no walk in the park !

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - unthrottled

My seat was sheared off at the base including the seat ripped out the floor and the car folded in half

That must have been a horrific accident.

I suffered serious soft tissue injury as well as 4 fractures and one complete shattered vertebre

I don't think anyone would have a problem with someone being compensated for tangible and debilitating injuries. It's the unfalsifiable injuries that only seem to occur in low speed shunts that I want stamped out.

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - spring

So, as long as the insurance companies and lawyers combine, and the customer continues to pay, crooks will benefit by claimng for non existent injuries..

What happened to contributory negligence, the principal by which an injured party lost all or some of his(her) damages if wholly or partly to blame. Does the proper use of head restraints not play some part in this

Any - Crackinh the whiplash - bazza

But IJ, what you describe is a horrific accident where you were lucky to escape with your life, i think the spirit of this thread is more about those clearly fraudulent claims after being hit a less than walking pace and there's not even any damage to the car!