What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MOT advisory - Freedi

I recently brought a car and have seen that it had advisory of BOTTOM METAL WATER HOSE CORRODED - N/S/F WISHBONE BUSHES STARTING TO SPLIT - N/S/F BRAKE PIPE CORRODED - FRONT EXHAUST BRAKET BROKEN in 2011 .

It passed its MOT this year without mention of any of these issues but I note there is leaking water and there is slight occassional noise when I am driving . I seriously worried that the MOT wasnt done properly and as a result it still has the outstanding issues .

could you tell me how serious and costly they are ? I only need the car till around December , could I drive it around the way it is ? the MOT is till May 2013

Edited by Freedi on 03/09/2012 at 00:07

MOT advisory - elekie&a/c doctor

And the car is a ???

MOT advisory - Freedi

Whoops sorry forgot to mention Ford Mondeo 1.8 2001

MOT advisory - Bromptonaut

The MoT is a 'tickbox' test against a set of prescribed safety, emmissions etc items. There's an element of judgement in all the items and more so when advising of things which are not failures but might be incipient problems.

In 2009 & 10 my Xantia's handbrake cables were reported as externally abbraded/worn. Did nothing and in 2011 they weren't mentioned.

It's not a substitute for a service.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 03/09/2012 at 00:58

MOT advisory - bear807
May be the mot test isn't done properly? I know there is some corrupt workshop which will pass a car for the sick of just having mot done at a little bit extra cost as long as the car doesn't put immediate threat on road safety. Some of my friend had actually try it in order to get the car selling, is just sad.